cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to www.donotcall.gov (anti-telemarketing) on Sprint's Advice--Minutes later a Telemarketing Call !!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Went to www.donotcall.gov (anti-telemarketing) on Sprint's Advice--Minutes later a Telemarketing Call !!!

Recently, I have been receiving telemarketing calls from numbers that show up with only 9 digits on my caller-id (rather than the typical 10 digit phone number). So I called Sprint to see if there was anything I or they could do to prevent these calls. After speaking with a Sprint representative and on his advice, I registered with "www.donotcall.gov" because a Sprint representative told me it was the way to stop telemarketers from calling me. The site looked legitimate, so I registered hoping I would no longer receive telemarketing calls.

A few minutes later, a Filipino woman called me inquiring about my interest in online education. I played along with the telemarketer for while and it turns out they had my phone number and my address. Can this be a coincidence? We'll see. If I keep getting new telemarketing calls, I will conclude that it is not a coincidence.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Went to www.donotcall.gov (anti-telemarketing) on Sprint's Advice--Minutes later a Telemarketing Call !!!

I am sorry you are still having problems with telemarketers. Have you tried calling the do not call list?

Consumers can register on-line for the national do-not-call registry by going to www.donotcall.gov. To register by telephone, consumers may call 1-888-382-1222: for TTY call 1-866-290-4236.  You must call from the phone number you wish to register.

I hope this helps,

Ray

Master

Re: Went to www.donotcall.gov (anti-telemarketing) on Sprint's Advice--Minutes later a Telemarketing Call !!!

As they had both your address and your phone number I would guess that the bought the list for  someone you have done business with in the past.   The Goverments donot call list takes 31 days to take effect  they have to send the list out to all the telelmarketers so they have a chance to remove your number

From the website 

The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint at this Website. You can register your home or mobile phone for free.

Journeyman

dude, no offense, but perhaps should read my initial post once more.

Journeyman

Thanks 14Knight.  That seems like a rational explanation about how the site works--but I am still a little skeptical about the whole thing.  Maybe I am being too skeptical, but I would imagine that entering your number into the site could end up being just one more way that Telemarketers could get your number. I imagine that often these telemarketing calls may be coming from places like the Philipines or other nations and by telemarketing organizations who may or may not have any ties to the U.S. government or its agencies. To these types of telemarketers, the site or laws that are promulgated related to it might not do much to prevent them from calling a blocked number, especially if they would not face any sanctions.

I'll just have to wait and see.

Wizard

royksuh wrote:

We'll see. If I keep getting new telemarketing calls, I will conclude that it is not a coincidence.

The process takes ups to 30 days to complete. That is stated on the website when completeing the process. I recently did one myself in April.

Chris

I signed up for do not call and even though it takes 30 days it does work.  Regarding calls outside the U.S. yes it does work.  We were getting calls from a ph. # in England trying to sell us ext. car warranty and after the thirty day period we went from 4 to 6 calls a week to none.  Good luck,  Rick

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.