ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did Sprint lie on the phone and rip off customer?

Journeyman

Why did Sprint lie on the phone and rip off customer?

Hi,

Here is a situation, when I first joined Sprint, all of the lines received discount monthly, then overtime, you guys slowly take it away.  Then on Feb 1st 2012, only the Primary line receives it.  So I got fed up, cancel Sprint service to move on.  It turned out that I still owes $110.30 (pro-rated amount for the last month).  Then I came to realize that Sprint did charge me one month in advance when I first joined, so I asked the representative whether I would get my refund back, and she said yes. I asked her why couldn't Sprint just refund the money right away, because I was so certain that my one month in advanced is approximately around $160.00 due to family plan.  She told me that Sprint need to close the billing cycle in full payment first before refunding the one month advance payment.  I asked her to confirm with her manager, and she confirmed as it well.  So I paid $110.30.  A couples weeks later after the billing cycle closed, I called and asked about my refund, and different representative told me that they would not.  I filed a BBB complaint, a lady named Tammi McCants, Sprint Executive Services Analyst, called me back and after she looked into it, she agreed with Sprint decision in not giving me back the refund.  Their reason was because I had cancelled the service instead of letting the service ended on its term.  I explained to her that my ending of Sprint service is due to their violation of the original contract and the representative had promised me the refund would be issued after I paid $110.30.  She told me flat out, "We are not responsible for what our employees tell you on the phone".  What?  Did I hear it wrong?  How can you do business like that?  So we went back and forth without any resolution at the end.  My BBB complaint # is 8969287, just in case someone is interested.  So I asked my credit card company to request back the amount, $110.30; and I got to give credit to American Express, they were able to do it.  So now, a couple weeks after withdrawing back the fund, a collection agency just contacted me for the debt that I owes Sprint.  I told her that Sprint owes me more than I owes them...lol...  She told me that from what she saw on Sprint system was that, I did pay $110.30 using my Amex card but because my card doesn't have enough credit, the transaction was cancelled.  Basically, she said that I didn't pay at all.  I told her I did pay, but I asked Amex to take it back after more than a month after.  I could provide her my credit card bill if she likes but she kept denying it.  She kept saying that my credit card didn't have sufficient amount so the transaction didn't go through.  I am pretty she does that on purpose, who else would be that brainless.

So my question for Sprint, why do you not honor your words?  Why do you want to rip off your formal loyal customer?  I had been your loyal customer since 2007 and had not been late on any monthly payment which was more than $150 each month.  Is it worth $110.30 to damage the company's reputation?

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Why did Sprint lie on the phone and rip off customer?

With out looking at the account I can not be sure what has happened.   I can tell you how the cancellation process works.    Lets say you have an account the bill the first of every month.     You bill is sent out on the 3 of the month and you receive the bill about 6th of the month.    You call and cancel you account on the the 7th of the month we will either cancel the account at the end of the billing period   or on the requested date.  The finial bill received on the 6th would need to be paid   a final bill would be computed at the end of the month for any charges or usage  the we incurred during the month.   And would be sent out  about the 3rd of the next month.   If you last month was prorated it is normally due to porting out to another carrier.   To make any comment on you situation I would need to be able to look at the account.  You filled a dispute with Am ex on the funds Sprint has 60 days to show that  this is a correct billing.  If AmEX  agrees it was a proper billing. They will reprocess the charge.

Journeyman

14 Knight, I always enjoy reading your responses but please re-read what you just posted...is English your second or third language?

Journeyman

I agree with Pulmonary-inpatient. Even though I am glad to hear your comment but 14KNIGHT - you need to re-read my message, and then re-read your message to make sure you know what you are talking about.  I am NOT disputing about the prorated part nor the last bill of the account, I am talking about Sprint had made a promise to refund my original one-month in advance payment when I first joined Sprint after I paid off the last bill of the account, AND THEY BROKE THEIR PROMISE.  On top of that, they flatten out saying that they are responsible for whatever their representatives or employees are saying to or advising the customers.  If you are not responsible, then why do you need to have real human representative as your Customer Service for? To LIE?  I guess I rest my case.

Journeyman

all other comments aside, the answer to your original question is simple...

"becuase it is what they do"

to add some context thought, it is not usually the fault of the CS reps, it is the fault of senior management who make and enforce policies that don't allow reps to do anything but parrot what the system tells them.  The reps (other than some slimy sales reps) get punished or fired for overriding policies even if it is the right thing to do for the customer.  It is the opposite end of 10 years ago when sprint reps gave away the customer store because their phone service and customer service was so bad that they had to stop the bleeding.  This new round of clamp down policies of unfriendly service is now going to alienate those who decided to give the "new sprint" a try.  Like many analysts I don't see how sprint can survive much longer.

Journeyman

Thanks for your post, Dakotakid0, I agree with you, I don't see the future of Sprint existence anymore due to their unethical business model.

Master

I Sprint charges one month in advance.   But you do not pay one month in advance   if you start service on the first of the month you  will receive a bill in few day for the months service  due about 5 days prior to the billing date.  On each bill you receive you told the charge is for service from   the   first of the month until the 1st of the next month and you get the bill about 6 days after the bill cycle date.    Again I agree we charged you a month in advance.  Did you pay a month in advance? 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.