cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sprint improve their speeds in Houston???

Journeyman

Will Sprint improve their speeds in Houston???

I just got Sprint yesterday night, I transferred my number from att and now after just 18 hours I am doubting wether I should just take advantage of the 15 days trial and return the phone and go back to att. There are some LTE places here in Houston  that are slower than edge speeds. It also appears as if the battery is constantly looking for a good signal, and it is always burning (iphone 5) not to mention that after a less than regular day at my job the battery is already at 20%. Sprint really needs to step up their game here in Houston, as I think I will just give them one more week to improve this situation, or to tell me at least if they will improve this thing, and if not, I will just take me entire family somewhere else, as at least for me it;s unusable. Yes I am saving 60 dollars a month, but I can't use any data whatsoever. Anyone here in Houston knows how to improve their LTE?

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: Will Sprint improve their speeds in Houston???

jesusartemio,

Thanks for the post. I can shed some light on this situation. We are in the process of Network Vision in Houston. At this time we are about 57% done with the build. While the build is on going there may be interruptions in service. I am here to let you know that speed will get better. Please provide your zip and cross streets so I can see what is going on in your area. Thanks!

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

At home is fine, although it seems to be killing the battery extremely fast. Now because of my job I need to be arou d the city, and half the time I get LTE and the other half I get 3g. The worst location I was in today was 77092 12035 Antoine dr Houston,TX. Again because of my job I need fast speeds, as I am constantly downloading spreadsheets, working on them and send them back, not to mentions charts and that kind of materials. Please let me know if also the network will be upgraded from a 5 hz down and 5 hz up to a 10 hz down 10 hz up.

Also thank you for taking the time to answer, never expected it.

Wizard

jesusartemio,

I do understand your need to have data for work. I checked the area mentioned and there is a cellsite outage at this time. I was not the tower that you were getting service from, but it is in the vicinity. When there is a down tower, it will pull resources for the other towers in the area. This causes service latency. When you are speaking about the 5Hz up stuff, where you talking about GPS? From the research I have done it seems like this would be device specific. Please let me know if I am wrong so I redouble my efforts to find you an answer. Thanks!

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

Ok. I have been having problems, in more than 1 spot. LTE speeds should not be less than at least 2mb, let alone 150kbps. To send a spreadsheet, if possible because sometimes it will time out takes around 11 minutes. When I was writing about the 5 hz I was talking about the channel bandwith. att uses 10 hz up and 10 hz down, but it seems like sprint only uses 5, and I just wanted to know if they will increase it, as that has a ton to do with these edge speeds. Also, please be honest, will it be better for me to just wait a year or so then comeback to sprint?

Journeyman

- jesusartemio

We do use a different frequency for our LTE than AT & T for example, but the "edge" like speeds in your case are not caused by this as in areas where we are fully done we reach the promised speeds and in a lot cases beyond that. Please check around on line for this.

Like Sean mentioned we are far from done in your area and there was a tower with an issue. Both contribute to the speed issues. They are also still busy with adjusting tower foot prints to the local situation.

To get to your 5 MHz vs 10 MHz question. We might move over to 10 HZ if needed, but this does not necessary mean that signal will be stronger/faster. The best explanation I was able to find is on this website. Please be aware this is not a website endorsed or controlled by Sprint, but you come across as someone with good technical level of knowledge so this should be understandable for you.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-308-rssi-vs-rsrp-a-brief-lte-signal-strength-primer/

Again if 5hz was the problem we would not reach promised speeds on locations that are completely done and that is definitely not the case. We currently deploy LTE on the 1900 MHz spectrum. Once the Network Vision project is done and IDEN has been completely decommissioned we can utilize the IDEN 800 MHz frequency as well which will give better in building coverage. Our new devices will pick the frequency signal that works best for what you are doing and your location. You can find some more info here:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19

I hope I was able to clear some things up for you. Please let us know if you have more questions.

- Mark

Social Media Care

Journeyman

I understand you use a different band, I never wrote you use the same band, and it seems like Sprint uses a high band that makes building penetration a bit harder. Now, my problem was not inside a building but out in the open. 5 hz vs 10 hz makes a huge difference in speed, not signal, altough yes Sprint most of the time (Not that reaching 6 mbps should be an achievement) reaches 6-8 mbps with peeks of 25 (Half the time I get around 2-3 download). Other carriers are using 10 hz for a reason, it seems good that they might use iden because I think they are in the 800's and that will help with the building penetration. Now back to my original question. When  will Sprint improve LTE coverage and speeds in Houston? They have told me for the past month that they are around 40%, but not a clue when they will improve that.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.