cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will switching phones w/ spouse avoid cancellation fee?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will switching phones w/ spouse avoid cancellation fee?

My wife and I share a plan, and I got the Epic 4G Touch 5 months ago, so I'm still under contract, however she is not. My work is offering to pay for my cell phone through a different carrier. If I switch my E4GT to my wife's number, will that also switch the contract to her and thus help me avoid the cancellation fee?

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted

MSCHUL1, The particular line is what is under contract not the phone. we can arrange that, we'll need to cancel your wife's line and move her phone number over to your line. By doing so you will lose your phone number.

Highlighted
Journeyman

you can port your number to another company and avoid the termination fee!!!!!!!!

Highlighted

if your line is under contract adn you will port the  number out of sprint, you'll be charged ETF.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No you wont the company you port you line to takes over you contract my friend just did it 2 weeks ago so I know you wont get etf also if you port to nextel you wont get charge the etf its the same company you may say but !!! They never get their billing togheter then once you are in nextel you have 15 days to try their service you can cancel within them 15 days and guess what no etf !!!!!! There is some other loops that work on sprint they may close them later but for now you can do it for sure !!! I have been a sprint costumer for 10.years now and I can tell you this company is going from been a great company to just another cell company just look at how many people are leaving sprint they have the iphone and a bunch of people got service from them becoiuse the unlimited everything but its not really unlimited and the 3g on them is to slow trust me buddy my wife has one !!!!

Highlighted

You will have a different contract with the other provider but as i said, etf will be charged if you still have contract with sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

nop i can tell you for a fact you dont wenever you can ask a sprint rep you have to go to lets say verizon get aprove for you new line as porting you number with them the new company will call sprint and they will take over your contract and bum!!!!!!!!!!!! no etf and say good bey to sprint !!! i have 3 lines with sprint and i be leaving them soon due to their costumer service and the people in the store here in amarillo texas !!!!!!!!!! worst service ever!!!!!!!1

Highlighted
Journeyman

My mom ported her number to Verizon and she was charged the ETF.  I dunno where you got your info but it's incorrect.

Highlighted
Journeyman

one of my friends just did it and didnt pay the etf just had to get new phones why she went to verizon? i bet the service on sprint!!!!!!

Highlighted
Master

When porting out and if your still in contract, Yes you will be charged an activation fee. From $50-$350 depending on when you entered into contract, How much time left and what type device you have.
http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_about_early_termination_fee/case-sp061027-20110823-1...  

Porting/Transferring Phone Numbers

We don't guarantee that number transfers to or from us will be successful. If you authorize another carrier to transfer a number away from us, then that is considered a request by you to us to terminate all of the Services associated with that number. You're responsible for all charges billed or incurred prior to deactivation and for any applicable Early Termination Fees.

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml?ECID=vanity:termsandconditions

Highlighted
Journeyman

its ben done !!!!!! he only pay hes bill and this month he got a partiall bill for the last month saying it cant be done is like saying that sprint has unlimited data ! A BIG LIE!!!!! THEY ARE CUTTING ANOTHER OF MY FRIENDS FOR TOMUCH DATA USE !!!!!!!

Highlighted
Master

He must of been out of contract or he would of been charged Also Sprint's data plans are truly unlimited(on Sprint's network), Your friend is being terminated for excessive roaming, Roaming is not unlimited.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.