cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will switching phones w/ spouse avoid cancellation fee?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will switching phones w/ spouse avoid cancellation fee?

My wife and I share a plan, and I got the Epic 4G Touch 5 months ago, so I'm still under contract, however she is not. My work is offering to pay for my cell phone through a different carrier. If I switch my E4GT to my wife's number, will that also switch the contract to her and thus help me avoid the cancellation fee?

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Journeyman

No he still had 6 months on it !! And that unlimited not on roaming is almost entrapment !!! They advertise full unlimited data ask sprint users most of them dont know about not unlimited roaming !!! Just wish they could be honest !!!

Highlighted
Master

Levi is right on the mark on both sides.   If you port out number you are  termination the contract with Sprint and the ETF if applicable will be charged.  If you have high data roaming  we notify of what is happening  and how to avoid it.  If it continues Sprint has the option to end the contract. 

Highlighted

unlimited roaming? it is not. bec when your phone is on roaming, sprint is paying the the carrier that you use for your reception. and also, it might be the reason your friend got out of the contract, ported out the number and was not charged ETF.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The friend that port out it was becouse the service here in the store in amarillo and costumer service on the phone the friend that is getting drop by sprint is another one they give im a month to find another company he has 2 lines only one they are droping but the second line he will be able to port out without the etf since it is a family plan I dont know if thats why but he got a letter stating that he is not responsible for etf FROM SPRINT I seen it my self !!! He has ben with sprint for 9 years right thats thats about 111 months that sprint has made money on his 2 lines he went over the soft limit 2 months and he is getting hes service drop !!! Really!!! Sprint is loosing good costumers becouse they didnt make money on one of the lines for 2 months !!!  What about the other 109 months ? Its just sad to see him having to buy another phones wen he goes out to work out of town away from his family to provide for his family and sprint just said theres nothing they can do!!! What about charging him say $5 extra a month wen he goes over the limit on roaming instead of loosing a costumer? Im sure he is not the only case !!!

Highlighted

if he is having network issues, that's the time he can port out the number without the etf.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just swap numbers with your wife so that her number is on your new phone and your number is on her old phone. That way her line will be under contract and yours won't be. Then just port your number to the carrier that your employer is offering to pay for.

Highlighted

That's not true bobby. even if he swap the phones, his line will still be in contract. The contract is attached to the line not to the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After reading your response, I spoke with Sprint Customer Care today regarding the same scenario; my company is paying for my service through another carrier, I am still under contract but my daughter's line is not. Sprint CSC indicated there's no way to switch numbers between contracts. Is there something I should be explaining or an internal "buzz word" that I need to reference for them to understand what needs to happen?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint says they can't swap numbers between contracts.  Has anyone had success with this?  When I mentioned this thread they laughed and said they weren't interested in reading "some blog on some website".. I have 3 lines and have been a customer for years and I was just spoken to like a child.. I'm very disappointed!

Highlighted
Master

Let me make sure of what you are attempting   you want to move  your Telephone number to your daughters contract which has expired  then port that number out to an other carrier.   Is that correct?

This is not something we can do The telephone number and contract are tied to each other.  you can give up the phone number and change to a different number   But you cannot move the number to a different subscriber.  As long as you have the number it is tied to the subscription and the contract on that subscription   the number can be released.  You can put different equipment on the subscription. The only way to change the number on the Subscription is to release the number .

some of the post here are correct some are in error  post  17 above is incorrect   If you have any more question on this issue  Send me a private message and I will be happy to answer them

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.