cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i switch devices and upgrade?

Journeyman

i have 2 devices on my plan. one (htc hero) is eligible for an upgrade but the other (lg optimus s) is not. the optimus is on my line and the hero is on my friend's line. the optimus died today and i was wondering if i could switch the phones around so that i have the hero and then use the upgrade with it.

17 REPLIES 17
Master

Hello.  Lots of customers are "juggling" their phones around to accomodate their needs this holiday season.  You will loose any mail in rebates by swapping a new device away from the upgrading line "before" the mail in rebate has been approved, (about 6 weeks).  If the phone you want doesn't have a mail in rebate, then their should be no problem.  Upgrade the Hero, then swap it to the Optimus line. 

Tom

Journeyman

Re: can i switch devices and upgrade?

sorry, i forgot to mention that the contract on the hero is up in less than a month and that line will be cancelled shortly thereafter. the line that the optimus is on is under contract untill 2013. i need to switch the phones and then upgrade. is that possible? my understanding of things is that upgrades follow the device now. if that's true then it only makes sense that i should be able to do that.

Master

Unfortunately, that will not be possible.  Putting the Hero on the Optimus' line will not make that line eligible for an upgrade.  The upgrade that you have to use now is only available for the line/phone number that the Hero is currently active to.  You can still use the upgrade and flip/flop the equipment to your liking, but by excercising the upgrade discount, a new 2 year Agreement will be added to the Hero's line making the Early Termination Fee applicable.

Tom 

Journeyman

do upgrades follow the device or the line?

Each line has thier own upgrade no matter the device.

Journeyman

no offense, but i'd rather get an answer from a sprint employee

Wizard

Upgrades follow the phone line, not the device. For your purposes, if you upgrade your second line, you would sign a new two-year agreement on that line and the other line would keep its existing contract. This means you couldn't cancel either line without an early termination fee. If there's not too long left in your contract, your best option may be to just do the upgrade and then pay the ETF on the shorter contract. The ETF is based on the amount of time left in your contract, so if it's close to the end of the contract, paying the ETF is probably cheaper than paying for the phone outright.

-Donnie

Journeyman

i think i'll save a ton of money and just leave sprint altogether. it's clear that you don't care about your customers.

Master

It is as stated above.  The Upgrade Eligibility is based on the last discount given to a line or phone number, (22 months for the old policy and 20 months for the new policy.) It does not follow the device.  It is also not consistent with the contract, contrary to popular perceptions.  Many customers extend the contracts for marketing offers during the 20 or 22 month period and this does not affect or change the upgrade eligibility. 

If a line that you are wanting to cancel is eligible for an upgrade, and you use this upgrade to get a discount on a new smartphone, you will agree to a new 2 year agreement on that line.  This is the only way to get the upgrade pricing. 

If you were keeping the Hero's line, this wouldn't be a problem.  But since you want to close a line of service, AND use the upgrade at the same time, you will pay a penalty for closing the upgraded line because you signed a new 2 year agreement to excecise the upgrade.  And the new ETF cost is $350. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

Wizard

DREWBEE81 wrote:

i think i'll save a ton of money and just leave sprint altogether. it's clear that you don't care about your customers.

Translation: if I can't get my way on everything, it all sucks.

Look, the bottom line is that you can't take advantage of contract pricing and then not sign a contract for a given line. You of course always have the option of buying a phone at full price.

Journeyman

spinaway wrote:

DREWBEE81 wrote:

Translation: if I can't get my way on everything, it all sucks.

Look, the bottom line is that you can't take advantage of contract pricing and then not sign a contract for a given line. You of course always have the option of buying a phone at full price.

translation: i don't know the whole story but i'm going to run my mouth anyway.

the bottom line is it's sprint's fault that my optimus is ruined and they refuse to do anything about it.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.