cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unlimited" data plan terms/Premium data fee?

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Unlimited" data plan terms/Premium data fee?

I've tried searching every forum and post I can find of the terms and conditions of the Unlimited Data plans.  I currenty have the Family Share 1500 plan, but I'd like to know where I can find the specific terms and conditions for any of the plans claiming to offer "unlimited data" and what is included in those data plans.  I have no interest in any other section of any plan, except data in any unlimited data plan.  Can anyone point me in the right direction so that I can read those terms?

I'm a little late in the game on this one, since I did purchase and activate an original HTC EVO 4G on release day with the understanding that I'd be charged a $10 premium data fee to compensate for 4G usage.  However, Sprint has since decided to charge every smartphone user this fee, per line, regardess of the handset's 4G capabilities.

I'm requesting a copy of the terms and agreement for unlimited data because the face value of the plan suggests that the plans are unlimited.  Sprint advertises them as unlimited and states that those plans do not include the monthly $10 premium data fee.  I'm very confused as to how Sprint can claim that their plans' data is actually unlimited, when they charge an extra monthly fee for you to have unlimited data for your smartphone.  Can someone please help, explain, or otherwise provide an actual Sprint agreement or their terms and/or conditions relating to this matter?

7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

Re: "Unlimited" data plan terms/Premium data fee?

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml?ECID=vanity:termsandconditions&ques...

http://unlimited.sprint.com/?ECID=vanity:unlimited

That's all I could find.  I don't relly get your query and wht you ultimately expect to find?  If you don't pay the fee today, you will if you try to change equipment to a smartphone that requires the fee.  There's absolutely nothing anywhere that overtly states there is NO $10 smartphone fee. The fee exists and no matter what you may think or try to interpret you will pay that fee if you want to use a smartphone on Sprint's network. 

Cheers,

Wizard

Must agree with Panzer here. 

Also, the $10 charge is a "premium data fee" and NOT an unlimited data fee.  So, if you had a non-smartphone, you would receive unlimited data on an unlimited data plan and you would not have to pay the premium data fee.  You only have to pay that fee if you get a smartphone. I guess Sprint could raise their monthly fee by $10,but that wouldn't be fair to people without smartphones....they don't have to pay for premium data.

Wizard

Correct.  Sprint bills this way because they use the "Everything" Data plans and charge each line (beyond the first two lines) $19.99 even if you don't get a smartphone on a few of those extra lines.  They collect $10 more per line for those extra lines than Verizon or AT&T, however, AT&T and Verizon charge $9.99 per line (after the first 2) but then charge $30 (minimum for 2GB or data per line). 

If you use a smartphone you will pay more on AT&T or Verizon ($10 more per subsequent line than Sprint as long as you stick with the 2GB plan).  But if you use a feature phone Srint will cost more if those phones are on a family plan that includes data. 

This is why in some cases it makes sense to create 2 family plans on Sprint.  One for the low use feature phone users who just want voice and text and another covering all the Smartphone users.  This also let's you get past the 5 line limit but you have 2 separate accounts to deal with. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

I just want the terms and conditions that apply to any plan advertised as "unlimited."

I understand how the $10 Premium Data fee is applied and I know the ridiculous answers that Sprint has provided.  I understand that the fee realistically is not meant to provide unlimited data; unlimited data is included in the plan.  However, when Sprint states that their data plans are unlimited with no extra fees, this begins to raise questions for me.  Sprint also claims to have imposed the $10 Premium Data fee to cover the higher data usage required of smartphones.  Higher or lower data usage is still accounted for as "data," therefor should be classified under their unlimited data plans.  As Sprint states:  "smartphone devices use up to 10x more data than a feature phone."  I'm not sure where they got that figure from and how they can justify it.  After adding all data usage of all three phones on my account, I discovered that I never reached 1GB of data usage collectively among three phones.  That's why I was so eager to get a smartphone in the first place... Wi-Fi is a wonderful invention that allows you to use less data in the Sprint network.  Data is data, regardless of what operating system a handset uses!

As an EVO user, it was explained to me that the $10 add-on fee was originally to cover 4G usage, even if it wasn't in my area.  The representative explained that they "have to get the money from somewhere to build the 4G towers and network."  Yes, that is exactly what one of the reps told me.  Sprint will now say the fee was never exclusively for 4G services, but that is the justification for the fee that every representative provided as I went through the process of ordering the EVO and activating it.  However, that is irrelevant to my question.  I'm just trying help and keep people from wasting their time by providing answers that I'm not looking for.

I have combed through every set of legal terms/conditions that I could find on www.sprint.com, yet Sprint has failed to provide a legal definition of "Premium Data."  They have defined every other term applicable to their services, but no mention of this elusive add-on in any legal documents.  I've obviously seen and heard that the charge exists (and unfortunately paying it), but I have not seen anything legally binding, nor where Sprint gives you the option to agree to pay it.  They simply state "the $10 Premium Data add-on applies."  Please don't tell me "if you don't want to pay it, then get a feature phone."  I get the concept, but I want the legal agreement and/or document that I accepted the terms and conditions of, to give Sprint permission to add this fee to my monthly bill.

So...  my question is simply:  where is this agreement that the customer had to accept stating that the $10 Premium Data add-on fee must be paid and the customer agrees to pay it?

Wizard

OK Kristen.  Here's the deal...no one likes the $10 premium charge, but it is what it is.

As to your question, here is the answer.  You are told about this charge when you sign up for Sprint service.  If you have a smartphone, they will not activate it without your consent to this charge. 

More importantly and to your point, if you read the first line of the Agreement (Contract), it states that, "Your Agreement with Sprint includes, but is not limited to, the terms of your service plan (including those outlined below and set forth in the services guide and materials) and the most recent Sprint Nextel Terms and Conditions of Service ("Ts and Cs")."  That means it "incorporates by reference" (legal term) the services guide, a/k/a the pricing guide.  Put plainly, your contract includes the currently advertised pricing in the pricing guide that Sprint hands out.  If you open that guide, you will see info on the $10 premium data charge.  That language is also here:  http://shop2.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/premium_data_popup.shtml

Journeyman

I also have a EVO 4G and was told that the reason for the $10 premium charge was for 4G serivce...which would be on in my area in less than 3 months; that was 18 months ago...still no 4G.

But the premium charge is NOT on all smart phones.  I have 3 other smart phones that I have had on the same plan for about 20 months; none of them have the $10 preminum charge.  The EVO is the only one with the up charge.

Sprint - You owe me a refund of $180.  My plan is coming up for revewal soon and I will be moving my 4 phones and 12 years as a sprint customer to someone else.

Regards,

Wizard

If you had those phones since before the charge was made ubiquitous your won't be charged.  The minute you upgrade any of those phones whether purchased from Sprint or separately you will be charged the $10 fee.  Even with the fee it's cheaper than the competition. 

Cheers,

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.