cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave 2.5 won't connect to Galaxy 5

Airave 2.5 won't connect to Galaxy 5

Having read many other posts, apparently the phone is trying to connect on channel 476, which doesn't work. Are there any ways to force the phone to connect on another channel? I have forced the network to be CDMA only. Every once and a while, after numerous reboots, reactivations and so forth, apparently the phone randomly connects using a channel that does work, but this is seldom the case. And every time one takes the phone out of range of the Airave, it doesn't reconnect.

It's frustrating that after a couple of years of this problem, Sprint still doesn't have a fix or work-around. Because the signal strength is highly variable, tending towards zero, at my house, the Airave is essential, but it doesn't work because of this channel connection issue.

13 REPLIES 13
Wizard

Re: Airave 2.5 won't connect to Galaxy 5

Hello,What kind of broadband do you have? Does the Airave have an antenna hooked to it? An Airave only works on certain types of internet providers. It works on cable and not on Satellite internet. If you have an antenna hooked to it is it pointed at the tower. the antenna is very directional. Does the Airave connect to your cellphone from a tower of wifi router? If it is wifi then you have to put a a code to get full connection. An Airave is just an amplifier which has the ability to send calls over the internet. You very well have to connect your phone to the Airave with the setup code. You may find it in the manual. Forget Sprint Support they have no answers. Do internet research the Truth is Out There!

Master

MauiMonkseal - I understand the frustrations behind all of this. Have you tried updating the PRL to reconnect to the Airave? That usually does the trick. I know that it is not a true solution; the S5 should always connect to the Airave automatically. Another option that I would recommend trying is to activate WiFi Calling on the Galaxy S5. It allows the same functionality as the Airave, without the need of additional devices. For the steps to activate WiFi Calling, click here http://bit.ly/12dr9VF . - Carl
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

One thing you have to understand about wifi is you can turn on the wifi but it doesn't mean that you get a full connection. You have to go to your router control page and click on wireless and it will ask you for a code. The code is found on your cell phone. Go to settings, wifi and bring up the list of wifi connections and look for WPS pin entry. There you will find the code. Enter the code into the router control page and click register. Then you get a full protected connection. When I did this I found a faster better connection. Wifi calling works better!

Thanks for the attempt at helping, but as you mentioned, changing the PRL doesn't solve the problem. The phone is usually using channel 476 to connect to the Airave, which won't accept it. Basically it's a problem with the PRL priority of the phone overriding that of the Airave.

This has been going on for a year and still no solution.

Master

MauiMonkseal,
Thanks for post. You are correct, the device connects to the Airave through the channel 476. Switching the device to CDMA only has triggered some phones to use that channel. We understand that some Tri-band devices have had a hard time staying connected to that channel. This is why it has been escalated to Airvana and some of the respective phone manufacturers. We are still awaiting results from that escalation.
We appreciate your patience with this. - Yannick
Sprint Social Care

Actually isn't using channel 476 the problem? If the phone randomly ends up on another channel, the Airave works. But this has been going on for a very long time without any resolution. Apparently make Airave work with newer phones isn't important to the company.

Master

MauiMonkseal,
We don't want you to feel this way! It is important to us. As simple as it sounds, targeting this issue is very complex. Firmware patches have been created, developed and submitted OTA to Airaves that interact with phones having this problem. All that was done consistently in an attempt to rectify the issue. It has fixed it (rather temporarily) for some, but for others the problem persisted. On the phone manufacturer's side, assigning a dedicated channel for the Airave to a Tri-band capable device is also tricky because of nature of the phone. Remember, the phones have as a core function to switch channels depending on the type of network it connects to and also its frequency and its measured capacity (which fluctuates because we are dealing with a mobile network). We definitely understand your concern over this, but I can assure you that it is being addressed. I know this can be an inconvenience, but manually switching the phone to CDMA-only has worked in many cases.
Feel free to reach out to us if you need assistance with anything else.
- Yannick
Sprint Social Care

Hello Yannick... It's been a long and frustrating experience with the present Airave 2.5 Plus. On occasion, the connection will work, but usually, it doesn't. At this location, we are pretty much dependent upon Airave as the local Sprint availability has gotten significantly worse over the past couple of years.

In any event, from the perspective of the Android developer community, the problem relates to the Airave having lower priority for snagging a phone channel than the local Sprint tower. On occasions when the tower isn't detectable, the phone connects to the Airave, for a while at least. The link below discusses one fix, along with a detailed analysis and description of how the PRL needs to be changed.

It seems like a complete and rather simple solution, namely just a couple of lines in the PRL have to be changed. Can you escalate this to Sprint engineering and see if we can actually get this fixed? Given that the Samsung Galaxy S 5 is a flagship product, it would seem like it should have high priority for the fix. This has been going on for over two years and absolutely no meaningful solution from Sprint other than maybe try this or maybe try that. It's a question of whether the corporation recognizes that there's a problem, as perhaps there are only a handful of customers using Airave, and wants to devote resources to implement it. Apparently the answer is no. But it would be nice to be wrong about this, having been a Sprint customer for close to 15 years and a high-value post-paid account.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2091558

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9894/prly.png

Master

MauiMonkseal,

You're absolute spot on--there are measure taken to rectify this once and for all. As stated earlier by Yannick, this has already been escalated to the manufacturers and developers. Apart from seeking a solution OTA, they will also explore the possibility of developing a new model that has a wider spectrum. For now, switching the phone to CDMA can help it find a connection to the Airave device, but a permanent solution will soon emerge. - Joseph,
Sprint Social Care

About two weeks ago, I noticed an OTA PRL update come across. This was also after an OTA upgrade to Android 5.0 which perhaps occurred a few days beforehand.

Thus encouraged, I fired up my Airave, and found that almost all the time, the Galaxy S5 will connect to the Airave for outbound calls. Call quality is still variable; sometimes the party called will fade in or out, even if they are on a landline. However, it's an overall improvement compared with trying to use the local tower, or Wi-Fi calling, which had terrible voice quality or often simply didn't work (this is on a 30 megabit download/5 megabit upload connection).

Here's what's still not working.

If someone calls me, my phone always connects to the tower, not to the Airave, to receive it.

We're going on almost two years not that the Airave isn't working with the S5. Anything further to report?

My Airave was made in January 2013. Is it a 2.0, 2.5, or 2.5+ model?

Thanks!

Nick

Master

MauiMonkseal, I am glad that it is working better; but sorry for the issues that are still occurring. It is due to the nature of the phone. There are several ways around this issue. Have you tried Wi-Fi Calling? Another thing that you can try is to turn off the LTE to place the device on CDMA only. See if that helps any please.

- Sheila
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat