cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AirRave Misery | Poor Coverage

Highlighted
Journeyman

AirRave Misery | Poor Coverage

When we joined Spring 2+ years ago, coverage at our home was miserable. Sprint graciously provided an AirRave unit that cured the problem seamlessly.  Last week, the AirRave died (would not power on). Sprint graciously replaced it.

BUT . . . the new unit will not connect to our cell phones UNLESS we turn off wifi and 4G/LTE. While I have read about that issue on this Board, our phones worked with seamlessly with our old AirRave (which was identical to the new unit we received). Now we again have no coverage at home. How this could have worked for over 1.5 years and suddenly no longer works is beyond comprehension.

The notion that I need to turn off wifi and change my connection settings EVERY TIME I enter or leave my home is unreasonable. Sprint needs to find a solution to this problem because I am now shopping for another carrier. The inability to make and receive calls at my home is not acceptable.

15 REPLIES 15
Master

Re: AirRave Misery | Poor Coverage

Merk715

I understand how frustrating this is for you. The Airave was designed to enhance CDMA/ 3G services. It provides better service for making calls and sending text messages. The 4G/LTE tends to interfere with the connection because, with that feature on, your phone will disconnect from the Airave in search for 4G/LTE service outdoors. 

Did you get new phones?

Krishel

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I purchased a new phone last May and others on my plan received new phones in November.  All worked fine with the AirRave. It was not until the AirRave unit died and we received the IDENTICAL replacement unit that the phones no longer worked.

This situation is unacceptable. Other carriers in this neighborhood, notably Verizon and AT&T, find a way to provide seamless cell service to their customers.  I am only asking Sprint to provide the same coverage we were receiving when we renewed our contract. Although Sprint has been able to do this until now, if it is no longer able to do so, then Sprint should release us from our contract.

How do I go about fixing the coverage issue or getting released from my contract?

Master

Merk715,,

I apologize for the inconvenience. Being that you've gotten replacement devices and the Airave is also new, then all devices will need to have the network settings reset. This just basically means that the device has certain codes that the old Airave had stored, and now that the device died, the network has to be flushed of all those settings in order for it to obtain the information for the new device. What type of phones are you using?

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Three iphone 6s and an HTC One M8.

Master

Merk715,

Okay great! Do you already have the new Airave activated, and the MAC IDs swapped? If so, for the iPhone 6, make sure that the devices are within Airave coverage and dial ##873283# to reset it. For the HTC, you would dial ##72786#. The device must be on 3G or CDMA only. To check if it's receiving Airave coverage, please dial *99.

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Uh-oh. Seems like we have a huge miscommunication. Your last post says, "The device must be on 3G or CDMA only." If you read my first post, that is entirely the problem.

Previously, the AirRave worked whether we were on 4G or wifi. Now it will not. As noted in my very first post, it is unreasonable for Sprint to expect that we will change our settings every single time we enter or depart our home or NOT use wifi while at home.

The new AirRave has been activated, but I have no idea what you mean by swapping MAC IDs.

Unless you have a solution to make this work while on wifi or LTE (i.e., WITHOUT constantly changing network settings), we are back to my last question: How do I go about fixing the coverage issue or getting released from my contract?

Master

Merk715,

When you called in to activate the device, the rep would have asked for the new MAC ID. The MAC ID for the new device would then be swapped out in the system, so that the network recognizes the new one instead of the old. Either setting should allow Airave coverage, it's just that the newer model Airaves are designed to work better on 3G coverage. This was a design implemented to benefit customers who did not have LTE coverage in their areas yet.

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Mabel,

I appreciate your responses, but not you are giving me information with no solution. I was not asked for the MAC ID of the new Airave. But we did the *99 test, which initially worked after activation.

What can I do to 'fix' my coverage issues? Again, for the third time, I will pose the same unanswered question:  How do I go about fixing the coverage issue or getting released from my contract?

Merk

P.S. To say that "newer model Airaves" are designed to work  better with 3G coverage makes no sense. It's like saying newer model GPS units are designed to work better with cars from the '90s.

Master

Merk715,

I can completely understand your frustration, but if you did not provided the MAC ID number of the new device for us to swap it out, then the device is not activated. For example, it's just as if you get a new phone, the serial number has to be updated on the network for it to function correctly. Can you provide me with the MAC ID number, and your account information via: http://bit.ly/1qQty1X

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

The info you requested has been provided by private massage.

Master

Merk715,

Thanks. I've received it.

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat