cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave 2.5 Text Messaging not sending first part of SMS over 160 characters

Journeyman

Airave 2.5 Text Messaging not sending first part of SMS over 160 characters

Does anyone have a fix for this?

SMS is limited to 160 characters. For messages over that limit our cell phones break it up into multiple messages. Our new airave 2.5 keeps "loosing" the first message and only sending the second part. It's happening for all of the cell phones connected to the airave, and I have yet to find anyone else online having the same issue.

Right now we are doing the work around of sending shorter messages, but a solution would be much appreciated. Thank you!

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: Airave 2.5 Text Messaging not sending first part of SMS over 160 characters

I have the exact same problem (for a while) and its very frustrating. It was also hard to recognize bc some messages actually do make it through fine while others do not. @Futbalo, have you found a sweet spot solution for max characters? Have you found an sms app that supports setting max characters?

(edit: found that the magic number is 129 as reported in this thread. Tested and verified with google voice. Shorter messages worked fine but longer messages had mixed results, about 6/8 long messages failed going thru)

Journeyman

So far we are just limiting the length of what we write and havent tried downloading an app. The weird thing is the second part of the message goes through, which makes me think its a SMS splitting issue. Maybe the Airave thinks it's getting a DDOS attack when it gets 2 messages at the same time and drops the first!  :-/     Anyhow, it looks like the issue has been around for years, so I doubt it will get fixed. Thank you for replying!

Journeyman

I just got an AiRave, I'm having the same issue. My friends say they are not getting my texts, it usually happens when I send a text with more than one page. Is there any type of fix for this?

Journeyman

I have had an the airave for a quite a while now but I just started having this same problem a couple of weeks ago. I contacted customer support and they did a couple of things on their end and had me reset my profile. It worked......for about 30 minutes and then I started having the problem again. I am certain that it is the airave because as long as I am not at my house I can send multipage texts without a problem. I have also noticed that it isn't just limited to multipage texts. If I try to break the text into smaller separate texts, but send them one right after another, I have the same problem. Some texts just don't go through at all either. Very frustrating because after 3 years of living in the same place and having Sprint service without a problem, we suddenly need the airave to get service in our house. Is Sprint doing anything to correct these issues?

Journeyman

I just got the Airave 2.5 about 2 weeks ago and I'm having the same problem as well. The only part of a 2 page text being sent is the second part which leaves the receiver very confused yet I'm not aware that they aren't receiving the messages until they call or text me. I'm also having the same problem as KJKriston82. When I try to send a multipage text as 2 separate texts back to back, they are not being received at all. Sprint needs to fix this ASAP ... otherwise, I'll be switching my services when my contract ends in January! If more and more people complain, you would think that they would respond to our posts with some type of message saying that they are working to fix the issue.

Journeyman

Good morning,

I apologize for the delayed response.I'm researching this issue. I will keep you informed on what I find. If you could please private message me your phone numbers and, I can get intouch with you to do some troubleshooting. Thank you. Paida

Journeyman

Hi Paida! how do I go about sending you my phone number so that you can contact me about this issue?

Journeyman

Hello,

@dmat0214,

I just sent you a private message. Please reply and I will contact you.

Thank you,

Paida

Journeyman

Yes, I have a fix. After countless months dealing with ignorant customer service and escalation "experts" at Sprint, I finally did some rewiring and got this fixed.

First off, ignore the directions on the Airave. You need to have your internet connection wired directly to your modem, and then have the Airave wired directly to the modem. If you have a cable modem and then a wireless router connected to your cable modem, connect the Airave to the wireless router. You dont want to run anything through the Airave... you only want to have it piggybacked on everything else. For some reason the instructions for the Airave try to imply that everything should run through the Airave, but this degrades the signal and causes too many problems.

Hang your Airave GPS antenna on a window sill, and dont run anything through the Airave. This is the only way to ensure that you will get an optimized signal.

I was having the same issue in which only the last part of my text message would go through... (example: only 3/3 while 1/3 and 2/3 never was received). This fixed it. It also boosted my signal (though there is an occassional disconnection (blinking lights)). There is no way around this.

Also: uncheck "Sprint wireless optimization service" in your wireless settings... Sprint created this feature so they could try and reduce their data usage. So weak.

Setup:   wall connection for internet -> cable modem/wireless router -> wireless router -> Airave

Journeyman

Thanks for the suggestion, shankalicious. I'm glad that worked for you. However, my internet connection is already set up like that (has been from the start), including the GPS antenna. However, I do not have an option to check/uncheck the Sprint wireless optimization service in my phone's wireless settings that you mention--this does not exist at all.This problem started seemingly out of the blue at the end of July for me, but had been fine for months before.

I will try carpools suggestion to keep my messages under 130 characters and see if that makes a difference. Although, even if it does, that's just an annoying bandaid solution and not a true fix. But I would be ecstatic if I could have that confidence back to know that my "Sent" text messages were actually received on the other end!

Journeyman

I have a Galaxy S Epic 4g. If you have the same phone, you can go into your Wireless Network -> Mobile Networks -> Automatic Connections... that is where the optimization service is located.

In July, I remember receiving an update for my Android... I dont know if it was a Sprint update or a Samsung update, but I do remember that the optimization option appeared after updating it... and the issue with the Airave started occurring at the same time. I did unhook everything like I said, but I also did my own hard reset of my phone and rooted it afterwards. After doing that, I uninstalled all of Sprints bloatware and all of the 3rd party bloatware. Afterwards, the issue was resolved. I assumed it was due to me unhooking the Airave and getting rid of the optimization service... but it could be that the reset actually worked... or by rooting it and removing some of Sprint's services, I was able to fix the problem.

I dont like the bandaid issue. You would probably be better off not even using the Airave, instead of having to make sure your texts are small (and then hoping that they go through). Good luck!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat