cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave 2.5 Text Messaging not sending first part of SMS over 160 characters

Journeyman

Re: Airave 2.5 Text Messaging not sending first part of SMS over 160 characters

I'm having the same issue. I have to say this may be the last straw for me with this Airave. It's been almost no help and has been very frustrating to properly setup. Mainly because Sprint's support for it is terrible. I don't have time to hang on the phone while they ask me to try rebooting it over and over and over. AND, I have to be on the phone with them with a different phone than my Sprint account. To add more insult, my home phone routes through my home cable modem, so everytime I reboot, Sprint has to call me back! ARGGGG. I've got it working based solely on some great advice from other Airave users that have been kind to post to the internet. I still can't believe I had to un-cap my upload speed by myself if I wanted to upload faster than dsl speeds.

The signal strength on my Airave is also a disappointment. The whole reason I asked for it was because we have bad service in our downstairs living room and bedroom. With the Airave, the signal is better, ONLY in the living room and bedroom. The signal is much worse when I go upstairs, or to the back of the house in the kitchen. I'd be better off using the tower near my house in those areas. Combine this terrible coverage with the current text messaging bugs and I'm at wits end with this device.

Setup wise, I currently have my Airave in the middle of my Modem and Wifi Router. This was the only way I could get it to properly function when I set it up. I will try moving it behind the router again and see if that fixed my text messaging issues. I unplugged the airave altogether and sent a long text message and it worked perfectly so clearly it's an issue with the Airave.

Journeyman

I have the vastly inferior LG Optimus S to your Galaxy S Epic 4g. The internal space on this device so small that I need to unload/delete almost all my apps (and I have pared it down the absolute minimum already) in order to upgrade to the latest Android OS available for my device. I put off upgrading for one upgrade a while ago (that upgrade was small enough to run at that time) and the day after I did it, they pulled the upgrade because of all the issues that had resulted from it--stupid of me for not doing more research before doing it, but those nag screens got the better of me. Since then, the upgrades have been too large for my phone (unless I delete almost all my apps--or apps of major importance). My plan is (and has been for a while) to root it so I can recover some of that space (among the other benefits), but I just need to find the time to make sure I am prepared and understand it enough to not brick my phone or lose valuable data.

As for not using the Airave, I get frequent dropped calls in my apartment without it and I no longer maintain a landline. I can use Google Voice on my computer in a pinch, but it's just more cumbersome. I do, however, get good signal strength for calls with the Airave, unlike what Chewieez seems to be getting.

Journeyman

Just to chime back in on this issue

• As mentioned above the apparent "safety limit" is 129 chars, not 130
  • This only affects sent SMS. MMS messages seemto send/receive fine
  • This has occured on a total of 4 phones for me (3 different models)  while having the airave
  • I have also have the "correct" router/airave setup (behind wifi router)
  • I also had my phones rooted before (no custom ROM) - no better
  • I recently took a phone update which unrooted my phone - no better
  • This problem is independent of the messaging app (stock vs handcent)
  • No optimization option on my phone to tinker with
  • I did not see any options within the airave admin panel that might affect this (only saw router options)

In my testing the bandaid works 100%, I've never had it fail on a short msg, therefore I will continue using the bandaid for peace of mind. (I tested by sending texts to/from my google voice number, more convienient plus my friends got tired of testing with me). Meanwhile testing the original experiment (130+ chars) my results were funky, I got maybe around 60% failure rate. On my end there seems to be a brief airave-success-window in which every long message went thru fine. One last note I found while testing, this time without the airave, is that texts were sent/received much quicker with the airave in use.

Judging from the date on the old thread this issue is approaching a year old so I'm not sure if/when we can expect a fix. @Chewieez describes a diff set of problems that I'm not getting. I also get full bars in my apt (~1000ft) as opposed to 0-1 bars without. Chewieez, you may need to confirm that you are actually in airave coverage throughout your house (by dialing *99 on your phone). I believe airave supports a max of 6 phones, it may be the case that you are fighting with your household/neighbors for access - just a guess.

Also a warning: it's my understanding that once rooted you have the potential to modify the phone radios. I'm not 100% sure on this but be careful.

@littlebear22: Are you aware that you can use google voice (via wifi) on your phone as well?

Just a few more unrelated notes:

• This is the 2nd problem with my airave. The first was that massive text msg bug that kept resending failed messages over and over again, spamming the recipient until I restarted my phone. After searching I found this was also linked to the airave. Sprint DID provide a patch for this (which the airave installs automatically) and the issue has since ceased. 
  • Initially I did NOT have the GPS piece hooked into my airave. I do know and it's sitting on a windowsill, this did not impact the text bug.
  • Call quality gets bad (sometimes drops) when stepping into (or stepping out of) airave coverage - for example walking to my car. This is a minor annoyance
Journeyman

Thanks for confirming this, carpools. Really good to know--not that this is happening, but that there is, at the very minimum, a temporary (wishful thinking, of course), bandaid solution. Yes, I am aware that I can use GV on my phone and that is another potential option, but at this point, I just don't have any space for the app...unless I root.

Anyway, thanks for the research and update.

Journeyman

I have the same problem and I am currently researching it to find a fix. I am not very optimistic as I have seen this problem reported for several years (time stamps) and it seems as Sprint has no concern at fixing this what so ever. It may just be a hardware design flaw that they know about and or cant fix. I am sure that they are aware of the problem as many folks have called "support" and it has been reported here many times in several threads over several years. I have seen (read) numerous responses from Sprint that they are "working" on a fix and it will be out first quarter, March, April etc and as of this post all of these dates have come and gone and still no fix. Maybe they need to hire a rocket scientist to fix the problem.

Also I too have the bug in my Airave where it sends the same text over and over and over. My girlfriend has an Airave also and she has the same problems as we all have reported here. One day I got the same text message sent 25 times!

If I find a fix I will report back...

Journeyman

I'm in the same boat...Having problems with long text messages. Although, based on the feedback from my friends, it's not always just the 1st part of a longer message that gets dropped...Sometimes the entire message appears to send successfully, but nothing is received. 

My setup was working flawlessly for about a year, until about a month ago. At that time, I started receiving an occassional error message saying the SMS send failed -- this was happening on roughly 1 out of 10 messags. When that happened, my friends would actually receive the message, however, it would be repeated several times, even when I sent it once.  A few weeks ago, this problem seems to have been replaced with the problem plaquing longer messages...

Journeyman

Same here.  My Samsung airave device that I got 2 years ago never had this problem but the 2.5 Airave does.  Any long message gets the beginning cut off. I wish i could go back to my old samsung device.  Hopefully, sprint pushes out a patch soon.  I dont have a character counter on handcent so i have no idea when to start a separate text message. 

Journeyman

So Sprint has actually called me back twice on this topic after opening a ticket. This is a known problem with the Airave 2.5. About a month ago it had an update and what the Airave is doing is including the date and time stamp as characters. I don't see the date and time stamps on my messaging anymore but I remember when I had an old school flip phone the message always started out with some like this "Sent: Thu, Oct 4, 2012, 10:38 PM" This is what the Airave is counting as characters which limits your messages to approximately 128 characters (I try not to even hit 128 right now just to be safe and have had no problems). Yes, they are working on a patch for this problem; however, they have no eta as to exactly when that patch will be completed and released. Keeping your texts under a certain amount of characters while connected to your Airave is what they are suggesting until the problem is fixed. I am moving soon so hopefully I won't even need my Airave after that but I do hope they get a patch out quickly for those who do need it.

Another completely random thing that I have noticed happening while I am at home and connected to my Airave is that if I am on the phone and I get an incoming call, it will only beep once to let me know about the call instead of beeping a couple of times before it kicks over to voicemail. When I am away from home it beeps once, beeps again, and then goes to email. Anyone else notice that problem at all? Not sure if it is the Airave or just my phone.

Journeyman

Thanks for the explanation & update, KJKRISTON82! That makes sense--not that it should be happening, but it makes logical sense if this is actually what is happening. I'm encouraged that Sprint actually called you back--and not just once, but twice!--on this.

I haven't noticed the other issue you describe--not that it doesn't happen, but if it has, I didn't notice. I just haven't gotten too many calls lately while on with someone while in my Airave locale.

Journeyman

Wow. I finally figured out why my wife's phone was having this problem. Took me long enough. I'll have to follow this thread for updates.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat