Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave 2.5 no longer gets GPS signal

30 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Airave 2.5 no longer gets GPS signal

My thoughts exactly!

"I don't understand how this new Airave 2.5 is such a p.o.s.

I did not have a single problem with my Airave 1.0, for the 2+ years that I had it. It worked beautifully, I told people how great of a solution it was. Now I'm stuck with this "upgrade"...the Airvana 2.5 replacement loses the GPS lock several times a day - the light starts blinking red, I got tired of moving the antenna around, so now I just ignore it until it fixes itself. Some days (like today) both mobile and GPS lights are blinking red, and it's not resetting even after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Seriously, this thing is completely useless. And I can't really call customer support from my house, because my calls drop every few seconds without a working airave."

Journeyman

My thoughts exactly!

Journeyman

Just do yourself a favor and pay a little more and switch to AT&T.  You'll get better coverage, faster and simult data and voice. 

Journeyman

I don't understand how this new Airave 2.5 is such a p.o.s.

I did not have a single problem with my Airave 1.0, for the 2+ years that I had it. It worked beautifully, I told people how great of a solution it was. Now I'm stuck with this "upgrade"...the Airvana 2.5 replacement loses the GPS lock several times a day - the light starts blinking red, I got tired of moving the antenna around, so now I just ignore it until it fixes itself. Some days (like today) both mobile and GPS lights are blinking red, and it's not resetting even after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Seriously, this thing is completely useless. And I can't really call customer support from my house, because my calls drop every few seconds without a working airave.

Journeyman

First, I'm glad that your unit is working. Mine isn't but the Air Rave 1.x was working fine and didn't need a replacement.

First off, I am a communications professional and can assure you that ones Internet connectivity has nothing to do with a GPS lock. GPS is also not on 2.4GHz. GPS begins at 1575.42 MHz and goes down to 1176.45 MHz.

My problem is that I have to hang the GPS wire out of a window or within minutes I get a flashing red LED and then the network LED begins flashing. This is odd for two reasons. First, my Galaxy S3 can get a GPS lock and translate it to my address from my office. Second, my office is located at 6,400 feet above Los Angeles in the clear. I live and work in the mountains. Any of the nonsense that Sprint gives you, like the earth has tilted on its axis, is just that - nonsense. Can you imagine the chaos the world would be experiencing if it tilted so significantly on its axis? LOL. This is not to say that something in the Air Rave isn't turning off the GPS.

So my only solution is to run CAT5 across the office near a window and hang the puck out somehow. As a DirecTV customer I can assure you that the first time we get a snow storm up here I ill not only lose my DirecTV but my Air Rave as well. I spend a lot of money on cellphones each month and I'm afraid the ultimate solution is to switch to Verizon. All of our police and paramedics use it for their mobile data terminals for a reason. They work.

Journeyman

Got the new unit and got them to switch the MAC and now it works.

They did mention a firmware issue with the others, which makes me think mine did not really need to be replaced, but anyway updating the status on what happened with me.

Journeyman

Mine has still been working since leaving the power off for an hour 3 days ago. It's in its original installation position. Hard to believe Sprint didn't do anything. I hope the firmware push doesn't screw  it up!

Journeyman

I have the same problem, not gps single, been out for about two weeks. Will see if this "push" release happens today or tomorrow, thanks for the information

Journeyman

Well, I've tried everyone's suggestions, and my Airave never started working again.  BUT, I did get good news from Airave tech support just now (6/19, 8 a.m.)!  They said that Ericsson said they will begin pushing out their software fixes to the Airave devices beginning 6/21.  He then went on to say that the fix is going out to a lot of customers, so it might not happen exactly on the 21st, but if it hasn't started working by the 23rd, to call them back and they will see what's going on.

Journeyman

Update: Went into town this afternoon leaving the Airave unplugged. after about an hour I came home and plugged it in. Synced and online in less than 5 minutes in it's original location. Been on about 6 hours now....