cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave EV-DO upgrade?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Airave EV-DO upgrade?

The only way I will consider having an Airave is if it can be confirmed by Sprint that:

A). The current Airave is able vis future software upgrade to run off EV-DO and not solely 1X.

B). A new Airave is coming out that will give EV-DO right out of the box.

Sprint, can you please confirm this?

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Master

Re: Airave EV-DO upgrade?

The Airave only has the hardware for 1xRTT networks if I remember from FCC filings? I think I read that on one forum before.

I doubt there will be a new Airave just to add eVDO support in the future. The purpose of the Airave is to improve voice call performance, not data usage. To be able to use the Airave you already need a high speed internet connection nearby, so it is just about pointless. There is a purpose for supporting EvDO rev. A if there is enough bandwidth available, for NDC on Sprint devices, but other than that there really is no reason for it when you can have a computer right there with just about every other internet related feature.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/10/25/verizon-wireless-to-launch-its-own-samsung-ubicell/

^Verizon's version(also made by Samsung) will do EV-DO. So it makes no sense why Sprint can't have an EV-DO version. As to why it'd be worth it to have an EV-DO Airave, well it's as simple as being smack in the middle of a 1X area and you want to be able to play around with high speed data services on your phone. If Sprint's engineers won't do their job in upgrading(or if Sprint won't give them the money to upgrade from 1X to EV-DO), then let us do it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Halcyoncmdr,

I see you're defendingSprint stupid Airwave policy. If Sprint was so great then they would not have to sell or recommend customer to buy the Airware to improve service. They would work on improving their networks. Sprint has been tell all their customers that EVDO will be available on the units at the end of the year. That's the reason why SPRINT will continue to loose customers and downright SUCKS. Why should you have to go to your computer to open your mail everytime someone send you a web link? There are many others quick things thatyou would use your phone to do that you don't want to do sitting in front a computer.

Highlighted

Kevin,

While I do understand that you're simply providing customers with information about the Airave, I think your stating WHY Sprint won't add EVDO service anytime soon (if ever), while informative, puts you square in the middle of most people's gunsights that were/are aimed at Sprint.

Here's what should be done. Sprint wants to improve indoor coverage for those users that otherwise have lousy coverage. Ok...great. Sprint puts out the Airave. Not a bad idea. Sprint want you (i.e., the user) to pay not only for the Airave, but then to additionally pay a monthly usage fee - BONEHEADED MOVE #1! Sprint also is marketing Nextel Direct Connect, but the Airave ONLY offers 1xrtt data speeds - BONEHEADED MOVE #2! Sprint has such little faith in Q-chat's popularity (hmmm...could it be due to the LACK OF ADVERTISING FOR IT?!?!?) that they don't see any future need to "upgrade" the Airave so that it offers EVDO rev A data speed rates - BONEHEADED MOVE #3!

Honestly, I think that's one of the reasons that John Garcia was told to leave this company. He did not see a purpose for the Airave having EVDO rev A. Hopefully Hesse does. Then again, given how he's managed this company, he's just as boneheaded as the decisions that Garcia had made prior to his leaving last week. What this company needs is Paul Saleh, Mark Schweitzer, Mark Angelino, and...dare I say...none other than Tim Donahue to take this company over and really push the envelope in terms of how to offer stellar service at ALL TOUCH POINTS! Bob Johnson was/is a good idea for Customer Service (funny, put a legacy Nextel guy to fix legacy Sprint screwups). Now we just need other legacy Nextel people to take over (or be put into) positions that really matter: CEO, CFO, CMO, etc.

I say let's have it happen and get it done already! Being handicapped by 1xrtt for a CDMA user is simply unacceptable, esp since Verizon's will offer EVDO rev A right out of the box (and WITHOUT a stupid recurring $5/month fee).

Highlighted
Journeyman

will the airave work with directv.com/wildblue internet?

Highlighted

No, it won't.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@oostah wrote:
will the airave work with directv.com/wildblue internet?

You could try this URL to test your line for VOIP: http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/

It tests all the needed things for VOIP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok thanks i havent got it yet. wanted to know if would before i spend the money but thats the only high speed internet around here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Come on...don't pick on Dan...he's too busy making commercials!!!

As for those other guys...why would they run into a burning building?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Wireless Network Extender is the same as Airave so the DOrA argument is moot but att offering 3G femtocells beats out Sprint and Verizon, I hope they make DOrA upgradable on current Airaves instead forcing a new one on subs and get rid of the fee for plan minutes since you pay for broadband seperately

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) I spoke with Airave L3 support and verified this: The current generation Airave CANNOT do EVDO, as they do not have EVDO chipset. Check the FCC documents for yourself.

1a) Gen 2 Airave is in the works, and will support EVDO.

2) I also have the Verizon "Cellular Extender" femtocell. It DOES NOT support EVDO. It is also 1xRTT only. It is also made by Samsung and is very similar to Sprint's Airave.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat