ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave Will Not Work, Possibly Blocked By Firewall. Any Other Ideas?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife has no Sprint signal at her workplace and has installed an Airave, actually two because the first one was defective.  It seems like there is a firewall or port block that is keeping it from working.  Sprint has been of very little help in this disaster, and I wanted to see if anyone knew of any affordable alternatives to the Airave before I ditch Sprint and go to ANY of the other carriers, who put a nice strong signal into her workplace. 

I've seen some signal booster items on Amazon and other places from Wilson Electronics like this: http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-801242-MobilePro-Multiple/dp/B001JT1E5G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?...

Does anyone have experience with products like these or should I just head to the Verizon store?

8 REPLIES 8
Master

The Airave should be the best solution.  Unfortunately, many corporate networks, such as our call center, block the outgoing ports for security.  We tried testing an Airave here and it wouldn't work either due to our firewall.  The "booster" from the link above looks interesting but we do not have any knowledge of whether or not this will improve your situation.  Have we done a network analysis on that location to ensure it's not our network upgrades or a problem with a cell site in the area? 

Tom

Journeyman

I found a post with the ports listed that need to be opened and forwarded it to my wife's IT people.  Not sure if they will open the ports or DMZ the unit, hopefully they will.  I've been working with the "Executive Offices" today and I've asked them to have some diagnostics performed, but I don't think the lady had clue one what I was asking for, so I can't say what Sprint may or may not have done.  All I know is that it worked at home and doesn't work in her office.

There is definitely a problem with the cell sites in the area, I measured that myself.  A network engineer was supposed to go check the area last week, but nobody bothered to cal me and let me know if he ever did it or what he found.  Again, now that the issues has been esclated after a week, I feel like I'm speaking through an interpereter at the UN whenever I ask a question.

The amplifier I listed is the low end of the spectrum, they go up to well over $500, way out of my price range for what I believe is a carrier issue.

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep you posted.

Master

Sure, it's my pleasure.  What's the work location or an address that's close to it.  I can see what we have going on with the coverage for you. 

Tom

Journeyman

They've checked it before, but there are two large schools on the site, and my wife doesn't get reception, even 911, in either buliding or parts of the parking lot.  I found about 10-15% signal strength in the parking lot with my Photon and one of the benchmarking apps. 

The exact address is 471 N. Woods Mill Road, Chesterfield, MO 63017.  The maps sayit's a good area, but I'm guessing a trained tech with a signal strength meter would find something else.  AT&T, US Cellular, T Mobile and Verizon are all fine there, it's just Sprint that is really weak.  There was video shot today comparing the different carriers, and Sprint failed to acquire a signal on her Optius S.  Her second, four day old Optiums S.

Thank you cor your help.  Please let me knwo if you find anything.

Master

Thank you.  I did some checking and can see that topography maybe creating an unforseen issue for that location.  The one tower that services that location is 1 mile east on Ladue Rd.  However, Hunter Lake is directly in between that location and the tower creating an additional barrier of trees that appears to be 1 mile long.  I would assume that the signal is dramatically better on the east side of Hunter Lake.  The other two towers, one just east of the Creve Coeur Mill (hope that's right) and Olive Rd; and the other is just west of Olive and Ladue Rd.  Neither of these sites actually reach your location and are just outside the signal radius.  However, those two towers have planned capacity upgrades in the next month.  The one west is slated for the end of November, and the one north is slated for the beginning of December.  These will be capacity upgrades that can expand the coverage foot print to possibly include your location. 

I hope this helps.  Have we created a network ticket for this issue.  Regardless of the upgrades, network engineers need to be aware of this issue. 

Tom

Journeyman

YOU Sir, are THE MAN.

I called in last Tuesday and explained all of this to a customer service agent.  He said he'd create a ticket, and told me I'd hear back with an update within 72 hours.  NEVER got a call, so I even wonder if a ticket was created.  If its possible to create a new ticket, that would be great.  I don't know how to give you the phone number, but it is my wife's phone and clearly identified as such on the account.

I'll be sharing this info with the EO person I'm speaking with, this may help her understand that I'm not nuts.

Thank you again for your help!

Master

I'm more than happy to take a look.  You can click on my avatar and private message me with the details.  I will need your name, Sprint phone number in question and the address again as these posts sometimes get buried.  I'm off for the rest of the evening, so I'll take a look first thing when I'm back in the communities tomorrow afternoon. 

Tom

Journeyman

I read your posts, and I would like to share my experience that I will briefly describe.  I spent several hours with Sprint Tech trying to sort out my inability to get a mobile signal even though it appeared that the Airave should be working.  I was even sent replacement devices because they seem to be defective.  While waiting for my third device to arrive, I read the same articles about ports being blocked, and I tried to open them in my modem router.  I was still unsuccessful.  I even changed the ip address and put the Airave on the back of a router.  Still no success.  Next I decided to go into the Airvave with my browser to look around.  I found a potential block after going to Firewall Rules --> Inbound Services.  I found that the default was 'Blocked Always".  I changed this to "Allow Always"  "TCP/UDP"  "192.168.254.254" (router ip) WAN User was "any" Port Range "1-65535" Log "never".  Turned off whole system and then rebooted first modem-router and then the Airave.  I have had a stong connection since.

I do find that when I arrive home I need to remove my cell phone battery and restart the cell phone.  I then have all five bars of signal strength and I am able to make and receive calls using the Airave.

Maybe you can benefit from my experience.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat