Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave will not work with Verizon FiOS

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Airave will not work with Verizon FiOS

I have exhausted both Sprint and Verizon trying to get my Airave to work. Sprint has finally given up and said I can get out of my contract due to it. I do not want to do this however as other than having no service at my house I am very happy with sprint and have been a customer for over 10 years. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the Airave to work with FiOS. I had the old black Airave and it worked fine for most of two years then in May it started having really poor voice quality. Sprint sent me the new style Airave to resolve the issue. I honestly do not know if the new white Airave ever worked but if it did it was not for long. I am now on my second Airave of this style and have the same issue. The issue is that the mobile light blinks amber. It never turns solid green and I never get a signal on my phones. I have tried multiple routers from Verizon. I am now on their latest and greatest wireless N actiontec router. A sprint rep told me that the Airave will not work with Actiontec so I bought a linksys and tried connecting the airrave to it, but this did not help either. There are more elabarate "solutions" I have found on the internet but most seem to eliminate some functionality from my FiOS service. Right now I have the Airave in the DMZ on my actiontec router and it is still blinking amber. Any help is appreciated.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Airave will not work with Verizon FiOS

Well believe it or not the issue was that the Airave on my account was not the Airave I have. I called and got the support rep to update the MAC ID and now it is working. I do not know if the voice quality issue I originally had is resolved, but at least the mobile light is no longer blinking amber. Sprint customer service will certainly hear from me about this tomorrow.

View solution in original post

91 REPLIES 91
Highlighted
Master

Hello.  Typically when mobile blinks amber, we are also unable to "ping" the device which indicates a block in the 2 way data stream.  Data may be coming in but unable to get out or visa versa.  Have you tried pulling power on your modem, making sure all LEDs are off (some modems have battery backups so this has to be pulled as well), and plugging in the Airvana directly to the modem?  Pull power to the Airvana as well, then boot up your modem.  Once all LEDs are solid again, plug in the Airvana's power cable and push pin the reset button for 15 seconds to reset the Airvana.  If this works, then plug your wifi router to the Airvana's LAN ports and reboot as well. 

When you mention Actiontec, there is a known issue with this manufacturer's "modem," however we haven't seen an issue with their routers. 

Airvana Known Issue with some Actiontec modems ~

For this modem router combination, the customer will see an Amber Light Daily and will be required to reboot.  An option to rebooting is to have the service "bridged" by the ISP, however, if the service is bridged, the customer will need a stand-alone router to enable WiFi.

Feel free to private message me for additional information regarding this issue. 

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tom,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry if I was unclear, the Actiontec I have is a modem/router combo. It is model MI424WR-GEN3I. I attempted to bridge an older Actiontec combo unit and it did not work, meaning I could get internet to work when bridged, so I do not know if the Airvana worked or not. I have tried the Airvana with a Westell modem/router combo also, the Westell was the router I had originally the Actiontec I have now replaced the Westell in the hopes it would resolve the issue with the Airvana. I have done so much troubleshooting I apologize if I am not being clear on some of the details.

Cory

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well believe it or not the issue was that the Airave on my account was not the Airave I have. I called and got the support rep to update the MAC ID and now it is working. I do not know if the voice quality issue I originally had is resolved, but at least the mobile light is no longer blinking amber. Sprint customer service will certainly hear from me about this tomorrow.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just wanted to add that I also had major problems getting a new Airave to connect with Verizon Fios.  All I would get is a blinking amber mobile light.  On first pass, Sprint had me return the Airave for another one - same problem.  Sprint Reps then claimed the problem was with Verizon and pointed me to the 8x8 test which showed I had a high level of jitter and very low upload speeds.  I have 25/25 Mbps service and never had a problem with any other device. I spent hours on the phone with Verizon who did their best to help.  They replaced my modem with the latest version and ran tests that indicated things were fine.  I even switched from my MOCA (cable) connection to the router to ethernet ran new wires and had the ONT re-provisioned so that I could put the Airave in front of the Verizon modem.  Still no luck and bad results from the 8x8 test.  After more calls and time with Sprint and their insistance that the problem was with Verizon as indicated by the 8x8 test, I decided to try other VOIP quality tests such as http://pingtest.net.  Interestingly, these tests showed I had great upload speeds and minimal jitter in contrast to what the 8x8 test was saying - orders-of-magnitude better results.  I called and spoke with a tech at 8x8 and asked him why their test gave such different results - he indicated that there are instances where with fast connections like Fios the results are affected by the time between pulses (or something like that).  He said when they got results like I was getting with their customers, they had other VOIP quality tests they would run.  In the end, I concluded the whole 8x8 thing was a red herring and big waste of time.  I called Sprint back and insisted that something must be wrong on their end.  At one point, I was told something had been entered incorrectly and they fixed that and told me it should now work.  Since it still didn't work, I called again.  The Tech I was working with with did something and then asked me if I could reset my modem one more time (e. g., unplug the ONT and disconnect its battery backup). This killed my phone connection to him and he didn't get back to me, so I'm not sure what he did on his end, but whatever he did worked.  Two hours later, I had a steady green light and the thing has worked well ever since.  I ran the 8x8 test just see if it still gave bad results and it did (111 kbps upload and > 100 ms jitter) despite the fact that the Airave was working and continues to work just fine.

Moral of the Story:  Be suspicious of the 8x8 test results!

My current setup is with the FIOS ONT connected by ethernet to the Airvana Airave WAN port. My Actiontec M1424WR router is then plugged into the LAN on the Airave.  Note: with this arrangement you will want to log onto the Airave (http://192.168.17.1) and uncheck the "turn internet access QoS on" box. Otherwise, the default setting for the Airave router is to limit your upload speed to 768 Mbps.

After all the time I spent on the phone, I did not have the energy to test if the Airave will also work if I move it downstream of my router now that everything is fixed.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but maybe it will help others avoid some frustration.  In the end it was worth it, as I'm getting much better coverage with Sprint in most places than I got with my previous carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hello all.  I ahve had Sprint Cell service for years and all of a sudden for the last 6+ months our cell signal in our home is non existant.  Sprint sent me an Airave and I connect it as directed and I get the Mobile light blinking amber.  I spent 40 minutes on the phone with sprint.  The tech asked me to restart my verizon FIOS router at which I said I would get disconnected via phone with him.  He says he will call my cell.  So I do what he says and guess what NO CALL back from the tech.

So today I will be calling sprint again to try and get this unit to function.

Are there any issues people still having setting up and Airave with Verizons FIOS internet?

thanks in advance.

I would love to be contacted by a sprint tech or rep.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

I have not had a problem since the correct MAC ID was entered into my account. I'd check  your sprint account and make sure the airrave shows up and the MAC ID listed matches the one on your device. From my understanding blinking amber mobile light means the airrave cannot provision with Sprint.

CoMiGa

Highlighted
Journeyman

yes it has the correct MAC address listed.  I did go into my verizon router and it did give the airave an IP address but when I run the connectivity test on the verizon router for the airave device it fails.  it transmits but doesn't receive.

Highlighted

Zift,

Good afternoon!

I'm sorry you are having issues with your Airvana and your Verizon-fios router. There are a few things that we can do to provision your Airvana with your router.  Regardless if it's a wireless router, or if it's a modem/router combination.

Please send me a private message with your name and phone number along with a contact number, and I will be more than happy to contact you directly. Please be sure not to post any personal or account information over the forum to ensure your privacy.

I look forward to corresponding with you

I am offline and available to speak with you Sunday-Wednesday 9am-2pmcst.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Airave does not properly with my new Fios either.  All lights green all calls work but can hear nothing on the other end just dead air after the 3 beeps.  Have had airave and fios for many years no problem but just had new fios installed and now problems.  Both verizon and Sprint say it is the others problem.  I need help with this problem and have seen others on the message board with the same problem but noone has answered.  Anyone out there know what is the fix?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Merdog,

I also started having the same problem you describe after months with no issues.  The symptom was when we called out on our cell phones or received a call, we could hear nothing on the other end.  They could hear us, but we could not hear them. If it was an outgoing call, we also would not hear it ring.

I called Sprint and worked my way through the obnoxious 8X8 Red Herring they inflict you with.  In the end, they concluded something was wrong with my AirRave and sent me the new 2.5 model.  I tried hooking it up as described in my earlier post (before the FIOS Adaptec Router), but it wouldn't accept an IP assignment.  The tech told me to hook it up after the FIOS Adaptec Router like the instructions that come with it suggest.  I did that and it accepted an IP assignment, but the original problem was still present.  I spent several hours on the phone, trying things they suggested like port forwarding, but nothing worked. 

The gentleman I was speaking with acknowledged that a number of callers were having the same problem and that they did not yet have a solution.  He assigned me a ticket and said it would be elevated and someone would call.

After I hung up, I decided to see if I could get the new AirRave like the one it replaced, by putting it back where it gets a direct feed from FIOS and then assigns an IP to the Adaptec Modem.  Turns out, all I had to do was break the DHCP lease to get it to connect.  You can do this by calling Verizon tech support and asking them to do it.  Alternatively, if your Adaptec Router is connected up and working, you can do it from the router control page (192.168.1.1) as described below:

Actiontec MI424-WR
1Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
2Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
3Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
4Click SETTINGS
5Click RELEASE
6Click APPLY
7Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Once I got the AirRave working in with a direct connection  (as described in my earlier post),  the phones started working properly again.

This configuration removes the Adaptec Router from the equation.  I'm still not sure why the AirRave doesn't work properly if it assigned an IP by the Adaptec Router.  But at least I have something that works.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The post by "igiveupplease" is 100% correct.  We've had the same issue for the last few days and just received a replacement Airave from Sprint.  I called Verizon and had them release the DHCP, did a reset on the router and then the Airave and everything is working the way it should. I just relayed this to another frind who is haivng the same issue.  Thank goodness for this message board!!!!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat