Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airave will not work with Verizon FiOS

Go to solution
Highlighted

Re: Airave will not work with Verizon FiOS

igiveupplease,

I appreciate your ongoing feedback regarding your Airave/router configuration. 

Moving forward, in the event that you are doubtful or skeptical of anything that is posted to possibly find a work around or solution to the issue that you are having with your Airave and router, I don't want you to feel forced in any way to do anything that you are not comfortable with regarding your router configuration.  I am appreciative of the fact that you have followed through with the dmz, and static IP assignment.  

Also, for further clarification, after you assigned the static IP through your router to your Airave, were you able to log into the Airave to complete assigning the static IP?  Please let me know, so that I am able to include this information.

I have in fact escalated this internally, and I will proceed with involving my network team also.  From here they will work with you to verify the one way audio issue that is being experienced. 

I am still in the process of checking my private messages, so I will continue corresponding with you privately.

Thanks in advance,

Jazzgirl7777

Social Care Support

Highlighted
Wizard

i am still having this issue on my end as well.

the issue i am faced with is i live in a condo that has fios wired in the building, so i get it from whats essentially after a switch thats in the buildings cableTV/phone/data closet. my data port terminates in a CAT5 on the wall. I then connect my router to that (and assigning a different subnet from what the switch sends so I can add other devices downstream) and my devices from that.

I have had this setup since I have been here over a year and this started happening about two weeks ago, out of the blue.

since i cant gain access to the closet to see the configuration, nor can i call VZW to troubleshoot, im up the river with no paddle. The FIOS I have is free to me (due to to my contract here, also dish tv is free ) so I do not have an account to call and troubleshoot about.

since I do not have an actiontec router, there is nothing i can do on my end.

its clear/obvious SOMETHING has changed. now I cant even use this device and my calls in my place are spotty/unreliable.

so I have a vested interest in you cats finding out whats going on.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is an update since my case was escalated for the "one way audio" issue.  I received a call from a Tier III Airave technician.  We discussed all the things that had been tried to resolve this issue.  He said he would take the information back to his team to see if they could figure it out.  Yesterday I got a message from the Oklahoma Support Center asking me to call back within 48 hours or my ticket would expire.  I called back and they basically informed me that it is a known issue and they have no solution at this point so they were closing my ticket.

I have disconnected my Airave as having it answer calls and not work just creates problems. I get one bar in the house that sometimes works.   If Sprint ever figures this out it would be nice to know so that I can turn my Airave back on.

One last thought - With the Airave directly connected to the Verizon ONT, it doesn't seem like the Verizon router has anything to do with it.  The problem could be incompatibility with the ONT or something further back in the network.  Some people with Verizon FIOS report that their Airave works. 

Maybe it has something to do with the ONT model?  Mine is an Alcatel 0-211M-E.  I'm told the newest model Verizon is using is a Telabs 612.

Are people with the Telabs 612 ONT also experiencing this problem?

Highlighted
Wizard

thank you for continuing this conversation. i am between a rock and a hard place as they say.

i have verizon fios in this condo building. its basically setup here like a switch at a commercial business-- Fios comes into the building and it goes thru a switch and then out to the units. all i have is a cat5 port at the wall. my router is there and my devices behind it.

i have the same exact issues as igiveup and this JUST started happening around the same time this thread was made. after YEARS of trouble free service, it just started, so something  with sprint or VZ has changed and neither wants to really help.

i too only have at best a trace bar to which i can make a phone call. and i have to sit in one place or else the call will becomes unusable.

i certainly hope the ball wont be dropped here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue.  I have Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec MI424WR Router.  I have tested and the issue with several phones, HTC, Samsung and iphone same issue on all.  I unplugged the Airrave and disconnected the Ethernet cable and all phones work fine no issues.  So issue seems to be with Airrave.  Can someone provide the number or email they used to report?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, its January 11th and our Airave went down again.  Same problem as before, 4 green lights, but no sound on our cell phones.  I had Verizon reset the DHCP twice and the first time it worked once and then went out again and on the second time it did not work at all. 

This is very frustrating.  It's been working just fine for a month and all of a sudden it goes dead.  If this doesn't get fixed, we will be forced to turn off the Airave and somehow deal with non-existent to crappy service in our house. 

This has to be a bigger issue than both Sprint and Verizon realizes since it  continues to occur.  Jazzgirl7777 we need your help.  This needs to be escalated to the upper levels of Sprint to see why this continues to happen to loyal Sprint customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi all,

I have had the audio problem with my Airave since November. They closed my ticket without telling me in December. Today I reopened it. I went through the same stupid troubleshooting steps. The Java applet they use for testing is absolutely terrible. It completely mis-caculates my upload speed. Since I have FiOS, my QoS score is excellent. I explained to them that the Airave had been working for a year or more, then just stopped working. When I called the Airave support, I was amused that they have to first blame bad QoS. My FiOS connection is 25/25mbit. I was also calling Airave support on a VoIP phone that is configured to connect to my employer's PBX, which, in turn, connects to Megapath's business VoIP service. All this happens over FiOS connections. If there was an issue with QoS I wouldn't have been able to talk to Airave support!

I don't have the Airave behind a firewall. My FiOS service is provisioned as a bridge with static IP addresses. This way I can put servers on the public Internet. There is no filter between the Airave and Sprint. I couldn't see how in the world it could be my side of the connection. 

Today (Jan 14), I called to find out if any progress had been made on the issue. This is when I found out they closed the ticket last month. I went through all the troubleshooting steps yet again. At least this time they didn't re-provision the Airave (again). The good news is that I acutally got a call back from the third tier of support! Unfortunately they called when I still had my Airave powered on. I let the call go to voicemail. The person stated that 100% of the customers in my area that were using Airaves had this problem. Interesting. This is the first time I had heard this bit of information. I decided to look into the issue, here, on the community forums.

Once I saw, indeed, that others were having the audio issue, I decided that I would route around the problem. I had a remote host that I could tunnel the Airave traffic to. I wanted to test to see if the issue was only a problem with FiOS. I suspected that it might be since I took the Airwave to work and it worked just fine. I *really* didn't want to tell Sprint support this because then they would probably blame my router (yeah, right, there was no router for hosts with public IPs). While I was tinkering with my plan to tunnel the Airave traffic to another location, I had an issue with my router. This issue *was* my fault and I rebooted the system to bring things back. As I was tinkering around, I noticed that I lost Internet connectivity. I figured, no problem, I will just copy my *original* configuration back to my router and reset. Nope, still no connectivity. Odd. I plugged the cable coming out of the ONT (normally connected to a switch) directly into my notebook computer. Still no traiffic. Not a single byte. I went outside the building and connected my notebook directly to the ONT Ethernet port. Still no traffic. I noticed a red light on the ONT labeled 'Fail'. I decided to remove power to the ONT from inside the house. This required removing the wire connecting the battery. Once I repowered the ONT, everything seemed good to go. The failure light did not turn back on. Still no traffic coming out of the ONT.

At this point I decided to call FiOS support. I explained the situation and the tech told me that I had done everything I needed to do for testing. He decided to try a reset on the ONT from their side, but he was having trouble with the reset. He told me that he would have to get other tech to do the reset and troubleshooting. The problem was the system to do the troubleshooting was currently down for maintenence. This was not surprising since I called at 1am. He said they would call back once they could get into the system. While I was closing up the ONT panel, I noticed that the ONT must have reset since all the lights went out for a moment. It looked like the reset command had gone through after I got off the phone with FiOS support.

I waited for an hour or so. Still no traffic. I decided to remove power from the ONT again. This time I would wait a few minutes before plugging things back in. I am not sure how log I waited. I would guess at least five minutes. Once the ONT powered up I regained my Internet connectivity. GREAT! Might as well plugin the Airave again. I had removed power to the thing since I had to use my cell phone to talk to FiOS support. Guess what? Yup, the Airave now works. I can hear the remote caller.

I does appear that the issue with Airave audio is a FiOS issue.

I can't explain where the problem is. Was it the ONT reset that fixed the problem? Was it fixed the second time I removed power from the ONT? Did the second tier do something after I hung up with FiOS tech support? What layer on the networking stack is causing the problem? IP? The Airave talks to Sprint using IPSec. Everything is encrypted and tunneled. Why would FiOS touch that traffic? I have no idea. I don't know how widespread this problem is, but Sprint does know about it. I wish I could offer something that could pinpoint the issue.

I wish I knew what caused my FiOS issue tonight. FiOS is extremely reliable. I have never had issues after the initial setup. I was playing around with IPIP tunneling when the connection when down. I don't see how that would confuse the FiOS infrastructure. It shouldn't care.

I will call Sprint tomorrow and have them close the ticket on the Airave. They may have already closed it. I will explaint to them the whole ordeal. I hope this information will help them narrow down the issue.

*edit*

Just a note. When the Airave stopped working it was on a public IP address. When it stopped working I put it behind the firewall to see if it would fix the problem. Still nothing. I reset my router multiple times. Still nothing. Tonight it is working behind the firewall. Go figure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

linuxguy44: Thanks for all of your updates...everyone else as well!  I too have FIOS (150Mb/35Mb) and have the Airave audio issue.  Callers on the other end can hear me loud and clear, but I can't hear them.  It's frustrating; my wife and I have resigned ourselves to answering, saying "I'll call you right back", picking up the house phone (using an OBI to connect to Google Voice -- VERY VOIP) and calling them back.  We then have a perfect conversation.

Up to this point, the Airave had worked perfectly.  My configuration is as follows (NO Verizon Router):

1. Linksys E4200 w/ Tomato Firmware connected directly from Ethernet to the ONT

2. Airave 2.0 connected behind the firewall with ports forwarded, though I've also tried it in front of the firewall, with no luck

Here are my thoughts:

1. Unplugging the Airave and plugging it back in seems to solve this issue on a VERY temporary basis (after it reconnects, of course...which is MUCH quicker since I got a better GPS adapter a few months ago)...temporary could be something like 5 minutes

2. It has NOTHING to do with the FIOS router or that router's firmware, so people can stop looking there

3. It is definitely afflicting users who have FIOS, and does not appear to have issues elsewhere

4. Because it's affecting "regions" at the same time, it is likely a change at the "network" level

5. This COULD be related to the LTE build out by Sprint -- people should consider when their area is supposed to receive LTE and see if that's a possibility

6. FIOS trucks are always in my area, but I'm not certain what they could be doing -- my speed is consistent, and my connectivity is well near 100%

Can people post their geographical location, so we can start to narrow down the areas having a problem?  My location, as stated earlier, is Northern NJ.

Thanks, and let's hope this gets fixed soon because Sprint is unusable in my area otherwise.

-- Brian

Highlighted
Journeyman

linuxguy44,

Thanks for posting.  Be cautious, however, as I have done a couple of things in trying to figure this thing out that have resulted in a temporary fix.  The one way audio problem will be solved for a few hours to a few days but then returns.  Please keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Highlighted
Wizard

great  post linux guy, but as others mentioned, do not close the ticket as it may fail again.. may take a month, may take a few days.

its great that this is still being discussed. i live in a condo building where the connection is from a switch in the telephone closet of the building and it comes to me as cat5.

i absolutely believe 100% its LTE related because i had no issues for years with this femtocel and right as LTE was coming online here in SOCAL, BOOM! this happened. and I have seen others post up every now and then that they are seeing this issue. several folks in the evo 4g lte section just mentioned this issue last week, which lets me further believe it may be LTE related.

airave folks said the evo 4g lte needed software to update it to work with the airave, which, after receiving the updates, did nothing.

so to help i live in SOCAL/LA and use the evo 4g lte. had reliable service up until a month ago, now nothing. i dont get a reliable signal without it which is highly frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Steadicam:

I'm also in the Los Angeles area and my Airave went out this past week after working just fine since December.  I like you have very spotty service at home without the Airave and if it doesn't get fixed soon, I may have to resort to installing a cell phone booster in my house.

I still not sure what is causing this issue, but the switch over to LTE does make sense.  I hope Sprint looks at this and tries to see if there's a correlation to the problems and their 4LTE roll-out.  Just an FYI, I also use an Airave in my office in Downtown LA and it's plugged directly into our company's network and I have had no issues with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

igiveupplease wrote:

linuxguy44,

Thanks for posting.  Be cautious, however, as I have done a couple of things in trying to figure this thing out that have resulted in a temporary fix.  The one way audio problem will be solved for a few hours to a few days but then returns.  Please keep us posted on how it goes for you.

I will be watching this forum! I will post an update if the device has the audio problem again.

I tried putting the Airave in front of the firewall last night and I still had the problem. For now, behind the firewall works. It really shouldn't make a difference since I had it running with a public address for a long, long time.

Would Sprint please stop using the stupid Java testing applet!? The program is terrible! I was finally able to get good results from the thing when I ran it with 'appletviewer' (outside of the browser) on my Linux notebook. On Windows I would get huge variations in upload speed. Sometimes down to 300kbps! Completely bogus! It is like the program is designed to get tech support departments with information to blame the customer. Sprint, please use speedtest.net and pingtest.net? Granted, pingtest.net also uses Java, but I get consistent results!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat