cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airvana airave issues making/receiving calls

Journeyman

Airvana airave issues making/receiving calls

Hi all, I have five of the Sprint Airvana devices installed in different buildings (none of them are in proximity of each other).  My users are having random issues with connectivity between their Smartphones (Blackberry and Android devices) and the Airvana's.  Sometimes they work properly, but frequently only data will go through the Airvana for random phones.  Some phones will connect for voice, while at the same time others won't.  For example when the problem is occuring, I can stand in the same room with the Airvana and my Motorola Admiral android will show 5-6 bars of signal.  If I try to make a call the bars instantly drop to none and nothing happens.  If I dial *99 it either fails, or I get the message that the code isn't supported.  However, during this time, data flows between the Airvana and my phone with no problems.  

When everything is working properly I can dial *99 and it tells me I'm connected to the Airave. 

I've ruled out network congestion etc... as being issues, I've got plenty of internet bandwidth and very low latency.  Anyone have any other ideas on what may be causing these problems?

78 REPLIES 78
Wizard

Re: Airvana airave issues making/receiving calls

Airvana only handles 6 concurrent connections, voice or data. Any chance you are exceeding that per device?

Wizard

citybett1,

One thing you can do is to change your roaming preferences to Sprint only? Or updating your PRL?

Markie_B

Journeyman

Thanks for the very quick replies!   I don't think I'm exceeding the number of connections, typically when I've tested it myself I would even say there's nobody using the connection actively at the time because the Mobile light on the Airvana is solid green.  Making a call from my phone, the mobile light stays solid green.  However, surfing the web, syncing email etc... the mobile light flashes green and I can verify that my phone is using the Airvana based on the network usage statistics. 

I have updated my PRL multiple times and it hasn't made a difference.  I haven't tried changing my roaming preferences to Sprint only though.  I'll give that a try next time my phone fails to make a call.

Thanks, and any other ideas appreciated!

Wizard

citybett1,

Let me know if that fails. Sometimes resetting the airave will help with connection issues. There are other things we can try as well.

Markie_B

Journeyman

I'll definitely post back with more information after some additional testing.  Also, if it makes any difference, my five Airvana's are all set to their maximum range and there are no restrictions enabled.  I mainly wanted to see if this was a known issue that perhaps some future software upgrade would fix etc....   I was also at one point having problems where calls originating on the Airave would never hand off to the macro network, the call would just drop when walking out of range of the Airvana.   But that seems to have mysteriously resolved itself.

Back on the subject of 6 concurrent connections though.... could it possibly be some limit of the maximum number of devices simply being connected to the Airvana, whether they are actively using voice/data or not?  Because yes, it's likely that there could be dozens of Sprint phones connected to an Airvana at any given time.

Journeyman

Also, someone else asked about Jitter, QoS, and with PRL and software version my phone is running......but then deleted the post.  Here's the answer to those questions.

My phone, Motorola Admiral.  System version 55.11.33.XT603.Sprint.en.US.  Build 5.5.1Q-117_PAX-33  (I updated the system software a week or two ago).   PRL version 61086.

Testing the following below with a computer on my network.

Jitter and QoS.  Measuring it anywhere other than the Packet8 VoIP test (which I've found to be worthlessly inaccurate) shows no jitter problems or packet loss.  For example, using http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php shows jitter 0.0ms, packetloss 0.0%, MOS score 4.2.

Speedtest.net results of my connection speed are 10ms ping, 22.16mbps download, 29.07mbps upload.

Wizard

It should be greater than five in use and not just available to access the Airave network and within the 8,000 sq. ft. (that's the max) you are assigned with. Your speedtest information is fine. So we will continue with the changing of the roaming settings and if neccessary we will do additional troubleshooting. I forgot to ask, is this happening in all of your building locations?

Markie_B

Journeyman

I've had it happen to myself in multiple buildings, and I've had other people mention that sometimes they get the 3 tones at the beginning of their calls, and sometimes they don't, even though they are in close proximity to the Airave.  Typically when they don't get the 3 tones, their call either breaks up or doesn't complete because of the poor inbuilding coverage without the Airave.  The specific models of phones besides the Admiral would be Blackberry 9350 or some of the older Blackberry Curve models.  Unfortunately I don't have any Sprint non-smartphones to try.  

One other thing I noticed today on my Motorola Admiral.  I was in close proximity to the Airave and could not get voice calls to connect through the Airave until I disabled WiFi on my phone.  But a few days ago in a different building where I couldn't get calls to go through the Airave, WiFi on my phone was already disabled.

I've disabled all roaming on my phone so we'll see what happens going forward.

Wizard

citybett1,

Please keep me posted with what happens. If you have updated the PRL and changed roaming settings and are still having the same issue, then I would suggest perhaps a soft reset (pulling your battery from your phone while it is still on) to reset on the network. If that fails, then unplug airave, router and modem for about two minutes and then plug back up modem, router (if applicable), airave and allow provisioning to re-establish itself.

Markie_B

Journeyman

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely post back, probably next week at the latest after I've had some time to test it further.  Even if by some chance disabling roaming etc happens to resolve the issue, it's not really feasible to have my users either constantly pulling their battery, updating PRL's, remembering to turn off roaming, or rebooting the Airvana.  And turning off roaming isn't the most ideal either.  There are lots of buildings locally that I go to that my phone actually roams onto other carriers because the Sprint in-building signal is so weak.  Which is interesting considering in the same building you get 3-4 bars with Verizon or US Cellular.

Is the manufacturer of the Airvana working on software to correct any of these issues, and if so, is there an update coming out soon? 

Journeyman

I haven't tested it any further yet myself, but doing some digging in the forums I found some other people having the exact same problems I'm running into with the Airvana. 

The following link, this person sounds like he's having the exact same symptoms.  Phone won't connect to the Airvana consistently, phone shows 4-5 bars and as soon as you go to make a call it drops to 0 bars, etc....  doesn't sound like the thread ever got resolved.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/393219

I suspect in the above thread that the person's 3G data service is connecting to the Airvana just like mine does, hence the 4-5 bars the phone is reporting, but for some reason the voice portion isn't connecting.  Except that the phone doesn't display a separate signal indicator for the voice portion of the coverage until you initiate a voice call, and then it displays the 0 bars that the phone sees for voice reception.  Anyone care to elaborate on this theory?

Here's another thread with what sounds like the same symptoms.  One phone works correctly, but on another only data works and voice calls don't.  Doesn't sound like this one got resolved either.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/403298

Here's another link, it sounds like this person has the same issue, and pulling the battery from the phone as tech support suggested fixes it for awhile.  But obviously who really wants to have to pull the battery on their phone every day when they get to work and their phone won't make calls?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/70176

I'll be happy to troubleshoot this further with someone from Sprint beyond the first tier of tech support.  I'm not interested in getting on the phone with tech support and having them tell me to pull the battery, etc..... and then if it works while I'm on the phone their job is done.  I would however be interested in working with someone that can look at the diagnostics of the Airvana while my phone is connected to it to see what's going on.  The tough part is actually getting in touch with one of these people at Sprint while my phone is actually having the problem.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat