OK, my airave was blinking yellow this morning. I have had a working installation for more than a year. I looked it up online, then I power reset it. I only need to do this every few months. After about a half hour, it was blinking amber again. Now, my main phone is my Airrave powered Sprint cell. I have no other phone. So I tried hitting reset. After only a half hour, maybe 3/4, I started calling Sprint Airave support.
Sigh. I have a 10 megabit download line - if it is going to work, it will get all loaded and initialized in a half hour, but if it fails, I have to give it a couple hours. The good thing is that when Airrave support was scheduled to call me, they tried calling multiple numbers, and left me voicemail when they couldn't get through, typically within 15 minutes of the scheduled time. The bad news is that I have only google voice as a voice phone backup, and no speakers on the computer I was using.
To be clear: There are four lights on the front. The second from the top is the Mobile light and the Mobile light was blinking amber.
The bottom two were solid green. Today I was told:
That the GPS light might be green even if the GPS was not working, and to move the antenna a few inches. I did so, astounded that a light would be green without a fix.
That the GPS might not be working because "a sattelite could not be allocated to GPS duty, it might be in use for transmitting telephone calls or TV or something." I laughed out loud and tried to explain how ludicrous that was.
That, despite the fact that we were talking on the line using google voice, there might be a problem with my router, and that I had to run the 8x8 test that you can find here: http://www.8x8.com/Resources/Tools/VoIPTest.aspx
It passed even though I was talking on it at the time.
OK, so now they reset a bunch of stuff on their end, then I have to hit reset, then they are shut of me for half an hour. Then they change some more stuff - it was here where I moved my GPS antenna. Then they called me back in half an hour.
Then the shift changed and I was talking to someone else. Then they changed some more stuff and I had to hit reset again. Then they called me back - right after I had a power failure, so we lost it - after everything was blinking orange again, I missed my callback, so I called in. This time I was starting to get tired, and I got the dummy. I talked to him a couple times. He shifted me up to escalation, and right in the middle of my conversation with the escalation person, I lost the connection. I gave her 10 minutes to call me, then I called her.
Finally, I got someone with a pulse. I explained that I'd been on the phone all day, that I'd been talking to escalation, and he asked for a chance to look at the record before he called me. He looked it over, told me what had been working, what hadn't, and the indication they got that made them suspect my router (supposedly, the airave was loading down configuration, had a good GPS fix, and had six more things to do when it stopped getting response.
You can't ping an airave, but if you are running DD-WRT on your router, or you have a Linux box, you can arping it. I was able to use dd-wrt's web interface to determine which mac was assigned to the Airvana corporation, and then
arping -Ibr0 192.168.10.85 (which I knew was the IP address) to determine that the box was on the net and live.
Finally, when I called back, I said, "I read about this problem that this guy had, it was on the internet (which automatically gives it some authority) and this poor guy's airrave was down for days, they sent him a new one and it still didn't work. What finally worked for him was to have the Airave completely removed from his account and put back." I waited a few minutes while the guy putzed around and said, "Um, I read about this thing on the Internet, where they completely removed the Airave from the guy's account and added it back and it finally worked."
So the second time I mentioned it, he said, "OK, let me look at that." He clattered for a while, put me on hold for five minutes, and he came back on and said, "OK, go ahead and hit reset on the box, the depressed button."
He watched it go through and while he was still looking at stuff proceeding, I said, "I'm getting text messages." It had come up that time, in about 20 minutes.
I really don't know if I had just reset it once an hour, if it might have come up in 5-6 tries. It seemed that it didn't.
But the whole delete and add thing seems like it can solve problems nothing else does.
In the queue I work in we just gained access to a tool named HDM. If you are having this symptom, or if your timestamp is off, or almost any other issue make sure you are speaking with someone who has access to this tool. It makes hour long calls go away and it lets us see every individual file of the provisioning. Feel free to private message myself - raylitherland67 abe2020 during the weekdays - At night or weekends try DONALIEN tomdeaver and we can fix these issues simply and painless. Keep in mind we work different shifts so allow time for replies.
Larry ~ OKIESTRO
I have this exact problem. Help! I've called in many times and get a different solution each time. Nothing ever works. I have to reset it 1 to 2 times a day, every day.
If your airave works at all, between resets, you have a different problem. Once the Airave goes into this hole, it does not work at all, it just gets part way through the initialization and hangs.
By the way, Sprint sent me a letter that said, since I have a new airave, they have extended my contract for two years. I didn't have a new airave, of course, they just re-added my old one. Sigh.
This sort of frequent failure sounds like a hardware issue with the airave - or lots of little power surges - maybe a bad power cube.