cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airwave troubleshooting, slowly flashing sys light

Highlighted
Journeyman

Airwave troubleshooting, slowly flashing sys light

I received and installed Airave last week. After four days and four Sprint techs, I still get a slowly flashing red sys light. Connected to a Linksys WRT54GS v. 4 router with latest firmware and configured with port forwarding and QoS giving Airave priority, Verizon DSL service using a Westell 6100 modem.  One tech wanted to send another box, but his supervisor nixed that and wanted me to use a neighbor or relative's modem. I am a voice network engineer and insisted my case be escalated.  I was told it would be three days before that could happen.  It seems to me that resetting the port by a level 2 or 3 tech would have been less expensive than having level 1 send out another device.  It also would resolve issues much faster and since this is a retention issue anyway, be better as far as customer service goes.

Is there a way I can get my device re-provisioned right away?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Airwave troubleshooting, slowly flashing sys light

I got an Airave in July and it worked great until this past Thursday, when it suddenly and inexplicably stopped working.  the system and GPS lights turned red, and the system light would flash quickly every now and then.  I called the Airave tech support and spoke to a really friendly and helpful woman, but she was not able to solve my problem.  I had both her and the techs she was talking to stumped.  I even changed routers and it didn't make a difference.  However, when the Airave was connected directly to my modem, and not to my router, it worked fine.  That's what doesn't make any sense!

I ended up calling my ISP and there was no problem on their end.

To make a long story short, I ended up trying it with an ethernet hub.  I connected my modem to the hub, the airave to the hub, and my router to the hub, fired it up, and boom!  Works perfectly again.  Don't know why or what happened, but it's kind of stupid that that's what I had to do to make it work.  The tech at my ISP wondered if maybe the airave firmware had been updated and caused some kind of problem.

Anyway, maybe your problem could be resolved in the same way.

I found the Airave tech support to be helpful and knowledgeable, and they actually offered to keep calling me to check up on it.  She called about every hour or so today to check on it and help try and get it up and running.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too found that directly connecting to the modem and turning off bridging resulted in a successful vpn connection of the Airave with Sprint.  I thought about using a hub but it seems like going backwards.  I finally was able to talk to Tier 2 (or 3?) at Sprint and they were very, very helpful (Frank - you rock!).  I went back to Verizon and they are sending out a Westell 7500, a wireless router/modem.  If this doesn't work, I'll try your hub solution and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.

Message was edited by: debhendon

Highlighted
Journeyman

debhendon wrote:

I received and installed Airave last week. After four days and four Sprint techs, I still get a slowly flashing red sys light. Connected to a Linksys WRT54GS v. 4 router with latest firmware and configured with port forwarding and QoS giving Airave priority, Verizon DSL service using a Westell 6100 modem.  One tech wanted to send another box, but his supervisor nixed that and wanted me to use a neighbor or relative's modem. I am a voice network engineer and insisted my case be escalated.  I was told it would be three days before that could happen.  It seems to me that resetting the port by a level 2 or 3 tech would have been less expensive than having level 1 send out another device.  It also would resolve issues much faster and since this is a retention issue anyway, be better as far as customer service goes.

Is there a way I can get my device re-provisioned right away?

I have a Westell 6100 modem. You may not realize it, but it is a modem and router together as one. At least mine is. One way to check is if your router WAN IP address is 192.???.???.??? or starts with 127 or 172 or 10 then you know it is a modem/router. It took me forever to disable the router feature in that modem/router, so it acted as a pure modem. Then I configured my router to not use DHCP but rather PPPoe.

I believe I used similar info found online to disable the router feature in the modem:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14770977

Then if your router supports DHCP address reservation on the LAN side, you then could setup a DMZ host for the router and use DHCP reservation to ensure it gets the same local LAN IP each time, DMZ will place it directly on the internet. This might help with connection issues. I am not sure if that modem supports VPN, which the airave uses, most standard routers do. But this Verizon DSL modem is locked down pretty well by default.

Let me know if this helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Received the new modem/wireless router combo from Verizon today and everything came right up!

They sent an ActionTech GT704WG instead of the Westell 7500 they promised, but who's quibbling? Thanks everyone for your input. Frank, the Sprint engineer, cut to the chase and was very helpful. Again, many thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It took me several week to resolve some of the problem.  Finally I found technician who reentered my MAC address that corrected some of the problems.  As usual most of the technical supports are confused in todays world, they will come up different excuses so they can be free.  But let them know to reset your MAC address.  Make sure you repeat that MAC address.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat