cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Successfully Using Airave with DD-WRT Wireless Bridge?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone Successfully Using Airave with DD-WRT Wireless Bridge?

Howdy,

We live in a fairly spotty service area, and reception only worsens inside our house, so when Sprint sent us an Airave 2.5+ it seemed too good to be true.  Unfortunately, we've got only one DSL jack in our household, and it is smack dab in the middle of our house such that even with the extender, there is no way to get the GPS antenna close enough to a window to get a signal.  SO, I figured I could try hooking it up to my DD-WRT wireless bridge; long story (on which I elaborate below) short, I can't seem to get it to function properly.  Is there anyone out there that successfully uses this (or a similar setup)?  If so, any insight you could offer?

I have used the following documents as close references:

Setup instructions for Airave behind a router

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Know_if_you_need_to_enable_additional_ports_on_your_router...

As such, I should report that intially, upon simply plugging the Airave into the wireless bridge and letting it power up, I got all four green lights and could verify that I was in range of Airave service from my phone; that being said, every time I tried to make a call, it would either drop instantly, or I would get a message telling me my call could not be completed at the time. (My wife also reported that she received some strange message that effectively said she couldn't call my phone when it was in Airave range).  After doing some research, I figured perhaps it was a router / port forwarding issue, and then:

1.  First, changed the Airave IP to a static address within the IP range of both my router / modem (it's a combo) and the wireless bridge, and disabled DHCP.

2.  Tried forwarding the ports from the wireless bridge to the Airave; no dice (GPS was only green light).

3.  Tried forwarding the ports from the router / modem directly to the Airave; no dice (GPS was only green light).

4.  Tried forwarding the ports from the router / modem to the wireless bridge; no dice (GPS was only green light).

5.  Tried forwarding the ports from the router / modem to the wireless bridge AND from the wireless bridge to the Airave; no dice (GPS was only green light).

In all of these scenarios, IPSec passthrough was enabled on the bridge, and from what I can tell on the router / modem as well; I believe I may have tried some other things that currently escape me.  Interestingly, even after a hard reset, I can no longer get all four lights on the Airave to light up... any insight that ANYONE may be able to offer would be very much appreciated.  If more information is needed, please let me know and I'd be happy to provide it.

Gratefully,

Peter

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Master

wiswif3,

Thank you for the community post and detailed information. Have you reached out to airave support to extend the range in the home?

Jen R
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Jen,

I did indeed speak with Airave Support before making this post.  Their suggestion, which I assume you are alluding to, was to purchase an extender for the GPS antenna.  The problem is, with the (acknowledgedly backwards) way our home is set-up and the location of our only DSL jack, we'd have to run the antenna across the floor or ceiling, and though cell service in the home is indeed something we'd like, the aforementioned options simply aren't practical.  Such is why I was really hoping that someone out there with a bit more technical knowledge than I is making the wireless bridge set-up work… it seems like it should be possible in theory, no?  I imagine I will be getting a letter from Sprint soon asking me to return the Airave, which I'll probably have no choice but to do, but I figured I'd give it one last shot with the forum post.  Once again, if anyone has any insight or suggestions, I would be very much obliged to hear them.

Thanks,
Peter

Highlighted
Master

wiswif3,

Thanks for the post. After reading that I believe that one of two things may be happening. Technically, because you have all four lights it does not seem like your setup is flawed but there may be a few things that may be making the difference. As I'm sure when you spoke with airave support the main stress was on the airave being near a window. The reason for this is so that a proper GPS lock can be established. Sometimes, the signal may be too faint for a lock to be established (even if near a window). I know you've probably been through similar steps, but we'd like to check the approximate proximity of the nearest serving tower and transmissions to see if a GPS lock can be properly obtained (supply your nearest ross streets and zip code).
Another issue may quite simply be the phones themselves and the way they are currently configured. If you have 4G phones do you have them set to 3G/CDMA when in close proximity to the airave? Please ket us know the model(s) and the settings that you have them at.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi SprintCare,

We are in West St. Paul, Zip 55118, with nearest cross streets being Cherokee and Emerson Aves.

We are using Galaxy S3s, with preferred network mode LTE / CDMA.

Thank you for your help; please let me know if you need any additional information.

Sincerely,

Peter

Highlighted
Master

wiswif3,

Thanks for the reply. The closest tower to you is 0.8 miles away and that tower shows decent transmission statistics and is equipped with 4G/LTE transmission components, but the actual tower that serves you is 1 mile to your north and that tower is not equipped with 4G/LTE and it is currently showing very weak transmissions and is scheduled to get 3G, 4G/LTE and 1x upgrades over the next 90 days. (Due to the close proximity of the tower that has 4G/LTE you may from time to time get 4G showing on your phone near your home but that would be a very faint signal and the bars on the phone are not an indicator of 4G strength as it is a different transmission than voice signal).

I have pinpointed the tower that serves you (which is in the vicinity of Annapolis Street W.) for the technicians to evaluate. A stronger 3G data signal from that site will probably make a world of difference to your airave's ability to perform.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi SprintCare,

So is the recommendation (and really only thing I can do) is wait until those upgrades are completed? If so, will Sprint let me hang onto the Airave for that long (without charging me)?  Your continued assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Highlighted
Master

wiswif3

Thanks for the post. Once your upgrades are complete your service will improve. For the meantime the Airave should help. If you are not being charged for the Airave currently then that should continue unless you receive a notification from Care stating otherwise. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Patrick N.
Social Care Team
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat