Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting AIRAVE to router via wireless

SOLVED
Journeyman nrg
Journeyman

I've got a new AIRAVE working behind our router (to make sure everything works). But we went all wireless a while ago, and the router and cable modem are in a windowless basement. Putting in an ethernet cable to where the AIRAVE has to go would be a real problem. Does anyone have a setup where the AIRAVE is connected to the router/cable modem via the wifi system? Normal wifi access points seem to offer the reverse solution.

6 REPLIES
Master

Unfortunately, at this time the only supported method of connecting the Airave device is wired. 

Journeyman

Re: Connecting AIRAVE to router via wireless

You should be able to use a wireless extender (that has ethernet ports), such as: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Range-Extender-WN2000RPT/dp/B003VWZE7Shttp://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Range-Extender-WN2000RPT/dp/B003VWZE7S

Which basically connects to your wifi as a client and acts as a bridge between your router and whatever devices you connect to it (by ethernet or wireless), so you could put the extender wherever you want and connect the Airave to it.

Alternately, if you have the techical ability/willingness and have an old router laying around that's DD-WRT compatible, you could install DD-WRT and configure it to do the exact same thing.

Highlighted
Master

The Airave access point needs to be connected directly to the modem

Journeyman

So then explain to me how my Airave works perfectly fine when connected to my 4 port switch, which is connected to my router, which is connected to my modem?

Journeyman nrg
Journeyman

I've got a range extender (or equivalent client access point) on order. I'll try it and let people know if it works.

Sprint Product Ambassador

The buzzword is 'wifi bridge' -- you use the wifi bridge to connect your wireless network to your AiRave.  Plug the AiRave into the bridge, then configure your bridge to connect to your basement wifi network.

(Doing the same thing at my house with an Apple Airport Express and Airport Extreme)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.