Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Airave to Verizon Fios

Highlighted
Journeyman

Connecting Airave to Verizon Fios

I am trying to connect the Airave to Verizon Fios in my home. A couple of minutes after I connect the Airave to the wireless router (D-Link DI-624) I lose my wireless connection. I have changed the ethernet cable and even moved the Airave further from the wireless router. Nothing seems to help. In addition, the System LED and GPS LED always stay red. After 5 hours on the phone with Verizon and Sprint, we believe the conflict is with the PPPoP protocol my Fios service is set-up on. The sad thing is neither Verizon or Sprint can or will help make the proper changes.

Does anyone know of how to correct his or is there a work around? I am so frustrated trying to get this connected. I thought this was going to be an easy plug-n-play project.

THANKS

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Connecting Airave to Verizon Fios

Hello!

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty with the airave.  Normally, they are just plug-in-play, but they can be tricky depending on what your router likes.  The GPS and System lights are connected to some degree.  For instance, you will never (at least, I've yet to see one), get a blue sys light and a red gps.  For the initial setup, the airave has to connect out successfully to the voip server.  If this doesn't happen, you could have perfect GPS signal, and never get a blue GPS light.

The solution generally is to find out what local ip address is assigned to your airave (airave is always listed as (none) and you should be able to find this info on the lan status page of your router).  Once you have the ip, you need to set it as the DMZ server on your router.  On D-Links, this is usually in the firewall settings.  I would also run a reboot of the router and power cycle the airave.  You'll see the airave go from a solid red sys to fast flashing red, to slow flashing red, and ultimately to blue.  The GPS should go blue first.  As long as the light is flashing, it's still working.  Be patient, it can take up to 3 hrs to establish a tunnel to a tower.  If 3 hrs passes and you're still dealing with a red sys light, PM me your airave MAC address and I'll see what's holding it up.

GD

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I plug the Airave into the wireless router, I lose my internet connection.  Are there any other options to trying your suggestion?

THANKS!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have run into conflicts like this before, albeit, not very often, but they do happen.  The first thing that comes to mind would be to make sure you had the latest firmware version for your router.  You should be able to see your current version in the router configuration by clicking on the "status" tab.  The version should be right at the top in bold.

You can then go to the D-link page for your router here and compare their latest firmware with the one currently installed in your router.

My apologies if I'm over simplifying this, but let me know if this makes any difference.  I still have another trick up my sleev if it doesn't.e

GD

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not able to upgrade firmware.  I did some searching and found that since this is a Verizon router it can only be flashed with Verizion firmware.  BTW, the firmware is version 2.50DDM dated Aug 2, 2005.,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok.  So it's actually a Verizon Router?  I thought we were dealing with a D-link.  Is it some sort of Verizon/D-Link hybrid?

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is a D-Link router that Verizon has locked. Dlink624Front_200.jpg

Take a look at this link as it may explain a little:  http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16866085

I just returned from the local Verizon store where they also service Fios.  The salesman said they have blocked the ports because 1) they don't want someone web hosting and 2) to keep other things from using their lines.  Incidentially, Verizon has a 'range extender' that looks almost exactly like the Airave....it is even made by Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh...it's one of those.  They probably want to prevent you from using any other VOIP service other than theirs.  Technically that's what the airave is. It's a VOIP VPN tunnel to a tower.  That's a dirty trick, though.  You could probably get away with switching routers on them and beat them at their own game.  Two routers that I know that work very well with the airave and in general are the Linksys WRT54GS2 & the Netgear WGR-614.

If I was going to go out to a store and buy one, I'd probably go with the Linksys.  Both retail for around $45 - $50.  If you were willing to wait, Newegg.com has some of the Netgear models recertified for $15 w/ free shipping here .  I've actually purchase recertified products from Newegg before and never had a problem.  I mean, it's a piece of equipment that has no moving parts, so they don't exactly wear out.

In any case, it is possible to set the MAC Address of the replacement router to match the current MAC of the crippled D-Link.  The FIOS modem shouldn't know the difference.  As far as it would be concerned, you never changed devices.

If that's the only thing that's preventing the airave from connecting, and it seems like it is, once you plug in the new router, you should be ready to go in about an hour at most.  That's a conservative estimate.  I've seen everything go blue on a few within 5 mins.

Highlighted

If you want to get a really good router then check this one out

It is called ZoneAlarm® Z100G Secure Wireless Router

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-secure-wireless-router.htm

zonealarm_z100g.jpg

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I am going to replace the router, I have another question.  I am looking at a new laptop and considering one with Wireless-N capabilities.  Is Wireless-N a good route to go and should I consider replacing with a Wireless-N router?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, the quicker speed on N from G would only truly be useful if you needed to transfer files from one machine on the network to the other.  Your overall internet speed won't increase unless its giving you more than 54 Mbps already.  What might benefit you the most would be the possible increase in range with wireless N.  The actual range increase would depend on the environment.  Some N routers even allow you to change freq bands from 2.4 - 5Ghz.  Although, I've even seen some reports of ppl getting less range onthe 5Ghz range with N than regular 54g.

If the price difference wasn't that great, I'd say go ahead and do it.  But, if there's a huge disparity between them, I would stick with the 54g.  Even if the N does manage to give you a decrease in range, you can always step it back to 54g.  Generally, speaking of just routers, an N generally runs about $20 more than a G right now on a single band, with the dual band N's being around $40 more.  The actual cards themselves are about $20 more than the Gs at the moment.  I'm not sure what the difference in price would be for an integrated card.  In terms of speed, you would probably find yourself buying a new laptop way before you actually maxed out the N connection though.

As far as the airave is concerned, we can make just about any router work with it, provided they aren't locked down.  I know the linksys wrt54gs2 & netgear 614 require very little, if any configuration.  Most of the airaves I've set up with these routers are just plug-in-play.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Works like a charm! Just got the Airave working perfectly with my Verizon FIOS wi-fi router. The cord has to be connected with one of the LAN ports on the Verizon router. You have to unplug the power for the Airave and the Verizon router for 2 minutes and then plug in for 30 minutes and try to make a call... if it doesn't work, call Airave tech support and they will re-provision it for you. You have to repeat the unplugging and all again to get it going... but all lights should be blue on the Airave for it to be running correctly.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat