cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handoff from tower to airave

Highlighted
Journeyman

Handoff from tower to airave

Can anyone explain to me why there is a hard handoff from the tower to the airave device. If I happen to initate a call (or be on a call) while outside and then come inside, the signal fades and my call drops. I then have to wait for the signal to be reacquired from airave. When I called Sprint, they told me that this is perfectly normal for this to happen, and that right now, there is nothing that can be done to prevent this from happening. The same thing will happen if I start a call inside and then go outside -- the call drops, and it seems to take a long time for enough of a signal strength to be able to make a call.

If I have a signal outside, why can't the signal carry over to the airave device without dropping the call?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Master

The Airave microcell system does not support handoffs from the main network to the microcell network the Airave provides. It should handoff from the Airave to the main network if there is a stable enough signal. If the signal in between the main network and the Airave isn't stable then it won't transfer from the Airave to the network though.

Highlighted
Wizard

Halcyon - You have this backwards. I have an Airave and mine is working as the documentation says it should.

When you are on a regular Sprint tower (or even roaming on a Verizon tower) and come into Airave coverage, the call should transfer to the Airave. It is NOT able to transfer back out to another tower though, so when you leave Airave coverage it will drop the call.

Highlighted
Wizard

It's the opposite rex. The AIRAVE can handoff to the nearest tower as long as the signal is sufficient. In the past a hand off from the tower to the airave was not possible. Are you saying that this hand off is working for you? Good!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat