cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! No service inside, can I use an older Airave/any other ideas?!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Help! No service inside, can I use an older Airave/any other ideas?!

Can someone please tell me if i can buy my own older Airave online and how that works? Is there another device or option I can try? Has anyone been able to get a free Airave?!   I am SO frustrated:(

I only have 1-2 bars outside my house, and 0-1 bars inside my house.  I basically haven't been able to hold a phone conversation inside since I moved - you either badly break up, or the call constantly drops. I have been asking my local Sprint store and *2 periodically about this for nearly a year now.  I've been told things from "it's your phone"(we have 2 totally different models), to "tower maintenance", to "please be patient,we're building a new tower in your area very soon" (not true).  Well-I have been more than patient (as I am stuck in a contract), but it has never gotten better.  Not only have I had to stand outside in all types of weather to talk, recently I have even missed/dropped calls from my patients while on-call for work, and from my fiance while he is deployed to Afghanistan. Its actually getting worse, and I have reached my limit.

I just found out that my store isn't a corporate location so I went into one Friday and heard about the Airave for the first time! They confirmed the signal in my area is only "Fair", and is between two towers (both confirmed by customer service today) and told me I needed an Airave to solve the problem.  They assured me that because of the situation it would be free.  The first person I spoke to at customer service today was very friendly and understanding and told me the same thing-she said she just needed to get me to the right department to get it taken care of.  When I was transferred, I was then told it would cost $129.99 + fees and a new 2 year contract because my account "didnt qualify" for a free unIt!  Unless I have been a customer long enough (it's been 13 years), my account is in good standing (they confirmed it is), have 4 lines or more, and a history of repeated dropped calls then I'd have to pay.  I only have 2 lines, and because I always text or go outside to make calls (i'm not stupid-I know I can't make one inside so why try) I don't have a "large enough" recent history of dropped calls.

I was then transferred to a supervisor who was incredibly blunt and basically told me she didn't understand which part I wasn't getting, but basically my options were to either buy an Airave at my own expense or switch carriers.   When I (forced myself to) calmly explain that I didn't feel it was fair to pay $115/mo to not be able to make/receive calls in my own home, she then told me that if I'd taken the time to read my contract then I would know that Sprint does not guarantee coverage inside buildings.  I asked if there was a higher supervisor I could speak to and was told no, and it wouldn't make a difference anyway - instead she offered to transfer me to an account rep to cancel my service if I didn't want to pay for the Airave. I asked why multiple other Sprint employees would tell me it was free for this issue and she stated she didn't know, but they aren't even supposed to mention that so she was going to see who I had talked to in order to make sure she was reprimanded!

By this point I had been on the phone (outside in my driveway sweating, of course!) for over an hour and was so frustrated I started crying and agreed to be transferred to an account rep to ask about my fees for switching carriers. He informed me I could purchase my own Airave online to use and there would be no Sprint fees, but now I see here that the Samsung may not be supported after Aug 1st? I can't really afford the Airave right now, but I can't afford the early termination fee or new phones to switch to a new carrier either. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know what else to do now

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: Help! No service inside, can I use an older Airave/any other ideas?!

Thanks for posting, may I have your cross streets and zip? I would like to check the towers you are using.  I am here for you. You would have to active the airave. Here is Airave Supports number (1-866)556-7310.

Thank You

*Jacquice

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Thank you for your response, Jacquice. It is near the intersection of 7th St and 8th Ave in 52747. However, they did check yesterday and told me our signal is only rated as "fair" in that area as it is. I was told I am between two towers and that the closest tower is 7 miles away. They stated that my phone is likely constantly searching and switching between the two and "extended", which is also likely the reason that my battery dies so quickly at home.

And thank you for providing me with the Airave department's contact number, but that is where I spoke to the supervisor yesterday, and after the way I was treated by her I'm sorry but I won't be calling them back. I'd rather switch carriers than be spoken to like that again.

Please let me know if you find something different in your search. I greatly appreciate your willingness to help!

Journeyman

Miranda,  I have been dealing with Sprint concerning Airaves for a while now.  Check Amazon.com for Airaves and other cell phone antenna.  Probably Craig's List or e Bay for used ones.  I have found over time that the Sprint Associates at the *2 number are pretty much uniformed about Airave issues.  It is true that one needs to have at least 4 Sprint cell numbers on their contract to quality for a free Airave.  Before you go and stop your contract with Sprint make sure other providers give you better service at your residence than Sprint is able to provide.  I have found that other providers phones get same quality of service at my house that Sprint gives us.  Have checked friends phones that have a different providers when they at my house,  bars on their phones are same as on my Sprint phones and I have 4, all from different companies, iPhone, Samsung, HT C, and Motorola...I get 1-3 bars on all of them, less in the back part of my house where missed dropped calls are the norm, reason I got an Airave.  Have checked number of bars on plans from Verison and AT&T all had same number of bars as what Sprint gives us at my home.  On Sprints map showing quality of service, we are in an area showing good service, which is less than excellent but better than fair ... So their quality of service maps do not mean much depending on your particular location.  I am not confident in the reliability of the Airave as we have had two of them go bad after working for a time.  When they go bad they start resetting themselves several times an hour, which drops calls when they reset.  Once they start resetting them selves, they have to be returned for a replacement, the Sprint Associates can do nothing to fix the problem over the phone no matter what they tell you.  Am current awaiting my third Airave.  When they work, they work good, but when they go bad they can not be fixed, so if you get one, pay for one, get an extended warranty.  One other thing, If you use a Router be sure and enable/turn on the wifi SSID 802.11e/WWM QoS feature on your Router, this prevents interference with the VoIP feature used by Airave to connect to your cell phone.  This has been way too long but hope it helps you and others.  If you are going to pay for a cell phone antenna, probably best to investigate antennas other that Airave there must be better, more reliable ones out there if you have to pay for one.

Message was edited by: DBROWN4848

Wizard

If you dont mind me asking, how long have you been in this location? Did these concerns recently appear? Is the airave Samsung?  I hate that you had to endure the conversation of yesterday with a lead.  I see there is a tower over 5 miles away from you on 50th street. The voice on that tower is working at 97%. But is it very far away from you.  I've called the department and spoke with an agent she informed me that if you have a Samsung Airave they will no longer be working as of Aug. 1st. There are other airaves such as the 2.0 Airvana they will be replacing the older one with. When the airave was active was there a monthly fee for it?

Thank You

*Jacquice

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Thank you-I hate that I had to endure that conversation too.  And I have been there for about two years, but it has gotten progressively worse. At first it was ok as long as I only tried to talk in certain rooms, but in the last year it has gotten to the point that I cannot be heard or the call drops anywhere inside-this happens with both of our phones so I know it is not a device issue.

And I have never had an Airave before-I just found out about them last Friday. So you're saying that not only am I expected to purchase the device and use my own wi-if to connect it, I will also have to pay additional fees to activate and use the device?!

Journeyman

Thank you for all of the info! I was looking online and saw Samsung  models that ended in 26uc and 26uc2. Not sure if they are both the Samsung 1.0 device that is being decommissioned or not. I read the reviews about the Airvana/2.5 unit being a problem and people wanting to go back to their old Samsung units - that is one of the reasons I really don't want to pay that kind of money for something that may not be reliable anyway! They said I would only have 14 days to return it, so if it starts malfunctioning ill be a couple hundred more in the hole and still have to find a new provider that actually can provide the service.  My mother has US Cellular and has 4 bars in my house, and my Verizon friends usually have 3-4. None have experienced the problems that I have had with Sprint, but many Sprint friends experience the same problem as I have in our town.

I am taking your suggestion and going to do some googling to see if there is another brand of antenna on the market that would be compatible with Sprint phones...I just feel its ridiculous that I even have to do that. Sprint will give a customer with my exact problems a free device if they have 4 lines. I only have 2 but I've been a customer for almost 13 years. I would think that if their justification for a free device is the amount of income generated from an account, after multiple new phones and paying for service for over a decade I have definitely paid more. I am saddened that they do not see it this way, and don't seem to place value on or reward customer loyalty.

Wizard

Getting a free airave isn't easy, in order to go in depth with certain concerns please Private Message me.

Thanks

*Jacquice

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I PM'd but haven't been able to see a response. Probably because my service has degraded even further and my phone is on extended network in nearly every room in my house and down to 1 bar outside, so it won't load!!! I had to use my iPad to even send this. I am far beyond frustrated. Tonight I literally had to walk around my yard to find 2 bars to return a call to my church. Oh yes-I missed the original call because my phone didn't even have enough signal to ring! I only found out when my phone showed a voicemail 17 minutes later. This is ridiculous... I have to be on cajobs or work. If that missed call had been from a patient I COULD HAVE LOST MY JOB. I need real help here-not more excuses...what can actually be done about this?!

Wizard

I am sorry about the delay in reply, please forgive me. I have PM'd you and will be waiting on your reply.

Thank You

*Jacquice

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat