cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my Airave Airvana!

Journeyman

Just got my Airave Airvana!

Well I got it two days ago.  I have also realized that sprint forgot what it feels like to lose over a million customers in a very short time.  This piece of junk has wasted more time than it is worth.  Mobile light has done nothing but blink yellow and orange for two days.  The device is on my account.  I have tested it on three different internet connections for over six hours per session.  Gigabit (work), Fast ethernet(work), and my home connection.  Nothing works. 

I can barely get 1 bar outside of my house, down from 3 bars inside of my house 3 months ago.  Data has gone from 1.7Mb/s download to 150Kb/s download, if I can even complete the test.  Now they send me this piece of $#14 to "help improve my service"?

15 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Just got my Airave Airvana!

Maybe some specifics on your connection (not your internet, but how you've connected the Airave, rather) and the measures you've used to try and get it working.

Fact: If you don't have a GPS signal FIRST AND FOREMOST, the airave won't connect. PERIOD.

So are you using the external? Internal? If internal, where is the airave located (in your home)? If you let it sit and it doesn't acquire a GPS lock within a reasonable amount of time, common sense would say to move it somewhere else and try again?

I've had the samsung airave, and now have the 3G airave..both worked as they should once I hooked them up PROPERLY.  I had problems at first too, but I didn't blame Sprint for my lack of knowledge on the device, I simply tried to work through the problem...and I'm glad I did. Been enjoying 5 bars inside + data for years now. Especially since I got the 3G version..

So maybe try asking for help instead of slamming the device for something that's likely user error to begin with...? I'm sure someone is willing to help you (and probably why no one has responded by now is because of the attitude)

We do need to know what the lights are displaying on your airave? And do you have the airavana 2.0 or 2.5?

Who is your ISP? Are you using a router separately or is it a modem/router combo?

Ray

Wizard

Ray, just curious, what's the difference in the 2.0 & 2.5? I'm wondering which one I have..

2.5 is the new one that just came out about 2 weeks ago. it is very similar to the 2.0 except it doesn't have the voip light on the 2.5 and added a network light which lets us know that the airave is communication in our system.

Ray

Journeyman

Solid green network

Solid green GPS (external outside house)

Flashing amber/green mobile.

I have tested        Inet > Airave

Inet > Airave > Router > internal

Inet > Router > Airave (DMZ)

Inet > Router > Airave (port forwarding)

The airrave is set up correctly, JonMcR, although I do appreciate your assumptions about my idiocy and inability to read directions.   Networking is my job, this device should not require a user to stand on one foot, touch their nose with the opposite hand, and hold a blue umbrella to make it work properly.

Ray, I will check when I get back home.

Ray I have, from bottom to top: Network, GPS, Mobile, VOIP  then a space then a voice mail light on the front.  If that helps.

Wizard

If networking is your job, then I would also like to thing someone with that level of skill would also have some level of understanding in how a femtocell works, and wouldn't twist words to make it sound like you've been insulted.  Did you log into the Airave on your local network?

As many problems as I had when I first got mine (because I live in the backwoods of Alabama, and barely have DSL), I never had to come online and insult the device. I made phone calls and got help, something that isn't beneath me to ask for. I didn't make presumptious opinions of the device, even after having it AN ENTIRE WEEK without it working. In the end, it wasn't provisioned right on my account, and turns out that I had hooked it up properly. But it took making phone calls to tier 3 techs, not posting lots of adjectives in an online forum to get the problem solved.

Google search "Blinking amber light on airave" -------> RESULTS:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/238112

Ok thanks, it sounds like you may have the 2.0. By some chance you said network light for the bottom, did you mean broadband?

Journeyman

I thought it said network but it could have said broadband.  Here is a pic that i grabbed from google. http://i55.tinypic.com/2r44oza.jpg    That is my unit, if that helps.

Edit: Here is a larger pic: http://c767204.r4.cf2.rackcdn.com/ddac0527-4f6e-4627-a863-bd717f745526.jpg   It does say broadband.

Journeyman

Jon, go back to your Apple forums and leave this thread. Ray, I apologise for the derailment, perhaps the troll will go back under his bridge. 

And a Femtocell is nothing more than an access point for their cdma band.  I plug in, it makes a vpn tunnel back to Sprint, verifies that it has an account to bind to, and shoots its signal through my house.  There is no magic fairy dust. That is assuming that sprint has done their job, which they have not done. It took me two hours on the phone for the imbecilles to actually get my address right.  The first hour and a half they were busy setting it back to my initial address in 2005 when I started service, over and over (tier two for an address change...really?).  I use these little access points in AT&T and Verizon flavors at work... Guess what?  They actually work, this is not a new concept for me.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.