cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to an area with poor Sprint coverage - Airave no longer works

Highlighted
Journeyman

We moved to a town where Sprint coverage is extremely weak. However, our house is about three blocks from an old Nextel tower, but that's another story. Anyway, the Airave no longer is working. I get a solid WAN light and GPS light, but the remainder just blinks and blinks and blinks...

We REALLY want to stick with Sprint if we can, but the Airave doesn't appear to work in "roaming" areas.

Please advise.

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Hi,

Are you using the same router you had at your other location?

Also who is your internet provider?

Have you also tried reseting the airave?

Thank You

Journeyman

Everything is identical. Same provider, modems, etc. Nothing about the configuration or DSL connection has changed other than zipcode.

Journeyman

I think you can log into the Airave and go to tools and do a ping test and a trace route if they are options try to ping www.google.com.

That would verify it is actaully going out to the net.

But i would also use the reset button on the back of the unit.

Wizard

agschnozz,

Check your address at http://www.sprint.com/airavecoverage. Even though the airave uses the internet it doesn't work in all locations.

-Alec

Journeyman

I guess one basic question is whether or not the Airave works where the area is 100% roaming.

Journeyman

Let us know what that site says, if you just moved accross town i would still think it would work.

Journeyman

The site said no. That appears to be tied to the calculated coverage areas from engineering's RF plots.

Journeyman

Alec,

Am I to assume that the Airave not only needs to have a good GPS signal but also requires connectivity to a nearby SprintPCS tower? Seems kinda like a logic-fail as we tend to place them where the signal is weak already.

If I place it in the attic I MIGHT be able to get it to recognize a tower about 20 miles away. Might need to sacrifice an old satellite dish.

Wizard

Re: Moved to an area with poor Sprint coverage - Airave no longer works

Short answer is no. The airave is meant to boost signal in Sprint coverage areas not create a bubble of Sprint coverage in a roaming area. Sorry.

agschnozz wrote:

I guess one basic question is whether or not the Airave works where the area is 100% roaming.

-Alec

Wizard

It's not so much a connection to the tower but more being in a Sprint coverage area that it needs.

-Alec

agschnozz wrote:

Alec,

Am I to assume that the Airave not only needs to have a good GPS signal but also requires connectivity to a nearby SprintPCS tower? Seems kinda like a logic-fail as we tend to place them where the signal is weak already.

If I place it in the attic I MIGHT be able to get it to recognize a tower about 20 miles away. Might need to sacrifice an old satellite dish.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat