cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Free Airave = Switch Carriers?

Journeyman

How have some customers received free airave devices?  I just joined Sprint about a week ago after moving to Los Angeles.  Unfortunately, my wife and I fell in love with an apartment that receives ZERO Sprint coverage.  Not a single bar, nothing.  So I was about to cancel my account since I'm within my 30 day window, but the local Sprint store mentioned that customer care would likely give me a free Airave device to remedy the issue.  After calling them, they first stated that they no longer offered free Airave device.  I then mentioned that I had no choice but to return the phone and move to another carrier.  I was then told that they could possibly get me a free device, but it would be AT LEAST 45 days (and potentially 90) before it would arrive, and even then there was a chance that it would not be approved.  Clearly that is a risky proposition for me.  Not only would I have to wait up to 90 days, but once I cross 30 days, I can no longer return my phone and cancel my contract without a hefty fee.  And if the request ends up being denied, I'm stuck for 2 years with a cell phone that has no coverage in my home!

I told Sprint that my wife would be switching to Sprint as well once her contract with Verizon is over in October.  However, without the Airave, not only would they not be gaining her as a customer, but they would be losing me as well.  Together we would be paying upwards of $140/month for a minimum of 24 months.  I tried to explain to customer care that by providing me with a free Airave (which can't be more than a $100 cost, and is probably much less for Sprint) is dwarfed by the potential revenue gained from our 2 years of payments.  However, customer care seemed OK with losing us as customers.

How have some people on this forum recieved free Airave devices?  And further, it seems that many are receiving them much earlier than the 45 day minimum that I was quoted.  My wife and I would love to remain with Sprint, however there is no possibility of that if we cannot use the phone in our own homes.

Please help!

25 REPLIES 25
Journeyman

I would call and try to talk to a supervisor because we just got our airrave less than a month ago and our antenna got damaged but they were able to replace our old airrave and we got the new airrave 3 days ago so I definitely think you should call and speak to a supervisor because we weren't even eligible for the airrave on our acct bcuz it takes its own line and we were already using all the lines we were approved for but the supervisor was able to give us the airrave on an additional line. I think you may have just spoke with a customer service representative that didn't want to put the effort into your call.

Journeyman

I received my Airrave free,but only after calling twice, seems the first person never placed the order!! I would call again and speak to another person, it all depends on the representitve you get on the phone.

Journeyman

Gave it another go, and no dice.  They will not give me a free airave because I have not been a customer for at least 3 months.  Which makes no sense, because there is no way I'll be a customer for 3 months if I don't have reception. 

Even more ridiculous is that when I offered to pay full price to buy my own Airave, they still refused to waive the $5/month fee.  I've put in way too much effort in trying to remain a Sprint customer when I can easily switch back to Verizon.  Thank god I'm still within my 30 day return period. 

Sprint clearly cannot do the math that 24 months of revenue from 2 customers is easily worth waiving the price of the Airave.

Journeyman

Hi nsharma, I would like to help you. If you have not canceled your Sprint service, please send me a private message with your mobile number. I will ask a member of the management team to check into this matter for you. We appreciate your business and do not want to lose you as a customer.

Journeyman

Re: No Free Airave = Switch Carriers?

I have had the exact same experience.  We are still within our 30 days, the Sprint website shows our home address as best coverage but we barely get 1 bar coverage and can be sitting still and lose that inside our house.  Our salesperson also told us to call about the airrave that normally they will give them to you for free.  After our 2nd call to customer service we were told they would send us an air rave that we would receive in 2-5 business days and we would have 30 days to try before being charged for it because they couldn't send us a free one without the 45 day backlog.  We were even given an order #.  After a  week of not receiving the unit I called Sprint only to find out that the order was never submitted and that we would need to pay the $129 to get the air rave and then it would be here in 2 to 5 business days and also that our address was in a low coverage area.  I can see the cellphone towers from my house and I can get 3-4 bars steadily with my mother's Verizon phone in every room in my house.  I don't feel like we should have to pay $129 for a device to make Sprint service work and I feel like the nonsubmitted order is just burning days in our 30 days to return the phones so we're stuck with them.  I am so frustrated with this situation, even though I love my phone it is no good to me if I can't use it in my own home.

Journeyman

Hi calebjen,

I would like to help you. Sprint appreciates your business and we do not want to lose you as a customer. If you would like to send me a private message with your mobile numbers, I will have a member of our management team check into this matter for you.

Journeyman

Honestly, as much I'd like you to keep Sprint too, I do not recommend you get an Airave unless that is your only option for any cell company.

The Airave in my house only works 10% of the time for voice calls and maybe 50% for texts and less than 1% for 3g data.

They really aren't worth the hassle.

They do have a small monthly fee, costs me about $5 for the fees and pretend taxes. The main benefit of the Airave is that it stops your battery going flat.

I'm just hoping one day it starts to work.

Tonight the Voip LED is flashing amber, even there isn't any voip service. Strange.

Journeyman

Customer Service just told me to switch carriers...

I had never heard of the airave, until I called customer service today to complain about a complete lack of service in our home.  The rep asked me if we had high speed internet, and when I said "yes", he said he could solve my problem with an airave.  He told me this was my solution and he'd transfer me to an account rep to arrange shipping.  The transfer took about 15 minutes, and when the account rep picked up, he said that the airave was a $200 product, but he could give it to me for $129 plus 4.99/mo. for service.  The customer service guy had said nothing about an additional fee for the service that I'm already paying more than $160/mo. for (My Wife and I both have EVOs with unlimited service...).  I said that I didn't think it was a reasonable resolution to ask me to pay an additional $130 up front + $5 a month for service that we previously received from both AT&T (my IPhone) and Verizon (my wife's RAZOR) in our home.  He then offered to discount the $5/mo. for 24 months, with a 2-year agreement.  When I balked he said that was fine, he would release us from our contract so we could go to another carrier without an early termination fee.  I actually thought that this was nice until I googled "Airave" and found this forum, and found out that the airave has been made available, free of charge, for certain customers in some situations.  But, my account rep did the math and determined that the $160(+) per month for the remaining 15 months of our contract (at least), or $2400 wasn't worth including us as airave receipients. 

Dave

Wizard

I'm sorry to hear about that experience. There are certain qualifiers you must meet to be eligible for a free airave. I can look into it further if you send me a private message.

Journeyman

As an update, I have cancelled my Sprint service within my 30 day trial period, and have run back to Verizon with open arms.  The Sprint Areas department did offer me a free Airave and offered to waive the $5 monthly fee, but stated that I would not get my Airave for 45 days (and maybe longer).  I asked if my 30 day trial period could be extended so I could test the Airave to see if it works before I committed to Sprint (the fact that this forum is dominated by posters claiming the Airave is a piece of junk worries me).  Sprint refused the extension immediately.  Even after all this, I had decided to go ahead and take their offer and go past the 30 days, because I really really really wanted to be with Sprint.

A few days later I called to confirm that my Airave was in fact complimentary, and after calling customer service, I was told that it would not be free! Apparently my account did not qualify.  The customer service rep told me I would be best off to cancel my account and change carriers.  I mentioned to them that the Sprint Areas team told me that I would be getting the Airave free of charge, but she told me this would not be the case.  Then, I spoke directly to the Sprint Areas team who told me that I would get it for free.  I told them the other department said I wouldn't, and they told me not to listen to them.

Given the lack of communication across departments, I figured I could not risk waiting past my 30 days only to find out that I would have to pay for an Airave (and monthly service) that may or may not even work.  I decided to go back to Verizon, and have not regretted my move.

Sprint needs to realizethat they should be doing whatever they can to retain a customer for 2 years and that the small incremental cost of an Airave is negligible compared to a guaranteed steam of $100+ monthly payments. 

I have been extremely dissapointed with Sprint.  Reception, customer service, everything.  Maybe I'll check back in 2 years to see if there's been any change.  Until then, "can you hear me now"?

Journeyman

got mine for free and they waived the fee. Call retention if u like sprint and in there service area. past couple months something has been up with the towers. maybe verizon cut them off the towers. but dont wait to long if still under 30days.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat