cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Free Airave = Switch Carriers?

Wizard

The airave is no longer on back order, so the 45 day wait is a thing of the past!

Journeyman

I hear you I had a customer servie rep tell me to switch carriers too lmfao.

Journeyman

I just heard about the Airave over the weekend, and was told it would cost me $129 for the device PLUS a $5 a month fee when I called customer service, but can't pay for that. I did a search and found this thread.

We got new phones and signed a new 2-year contract last Monday thinking our 4year old phones were the problem.Turns out we just get bad reception in our house. My wife is now home with our 2-year twins and is missing calls from doctors, school, me, etc. Before the girls, we were both at work and always got good reception. We can't go on missing calls like this. My wife's parents are with Verizon and have no troubles at our house.

We want to stay with Sprint (about 8 years for me), but can't afford to pay for this device and/or another monthly charge. I'm going to call and speak to retention and hope we can get both waived, or I've got to cancel by the end of the month and switch elsewhere.

I'll try to keep you all posted.

Thanks. Doug

Re: No Free Airave = Switch Carriers?

Dougie,

Could you please private message me and once you do I will reply back to gather more information from you.

Thanks,

Ray

Journeyman

We were able to get an Airave for our house at no cost as we are in a "good" coverage area, but very close to "fair". Sprint Customer Service really came thru in making this happen, and we have improved from 0-1 bars up to 3-5 depending on where we are in the house.

I have heard bad stories over my 8 years with Sprint about customer service, but I've never had a major problem, and It sure seems like they have improved a lot recently.

If are having trouble with reception and can get an Airave, it definitely helps!

Patron

Same situation, different outcome.  I moved and unfortunately the area I moved to had poor reception.  Spring did send me an Airave free--------HOWEVER, its defective and no one could help me fix it.  Connections were correct, programming was correct, Modem and GPS signals came in, but no phone.  Supposedly they will send me another one.  Seems to me it would be economically more productive to invest in more towers. I switched to Sprint after 12 years with T-mobile  mainly because of their all inclusive data plan.  However, a year later into my 2-year contract, I cannot send picture messages (still unresolved after 4 calls to support and a visit to a sprint sotre), dropped calls, freezing, spontaneously turning itself off.................and now hardly any connection.  I am rethinking my business with them after my contract is up............Of course, I should be able to get out of it now for breach of contract............or at least specific performance...LOL.

Journeyman

I was told mine would be free,it was as far as I know. and showed up within 5 biz days

The funny thing is one of my good friends saw my Airrave and called Verizon to see if they had anything like it and they told him it would be $250.00. Verizon gets better service in my area(because they actually spend money on building new towers and such) but in his apartment his reception is poor

Journeyman

I just switched to Sprint from Verizon to get the iPhone.

The service in DC is pretty decent everywhere except for my apartment. My phone constantly roams onto Verizon, which I've been told can cause me to get overage fees. I called customer service and spoke with a very sweet girl who asked me several questions and then told me her supervisor was submitting a request for a free airave since I had switched from Verizon. She said she would call as soon as the order was processed.

After receiving no phone call, I called them back today only to have a different rep tell me there were NO notes in the system about the airave they promised me and that it was impossible for me to receive one since I was still in my 14-day grace period. She recommended that I just cancel my service (?!) since I am having issues with coverage.

Now I'm torn. Do I go back to Verizon and eat the cost of switching back or keep trying for a rep that will actually do what they promised?

I will say that Verizon is more expensive, but I was always very impressed with their customer service.

Journeyman

I also ran into this issue in trying to recieve my free Airave during the 30 day Sprint Free Guarantee, back when it was 30 days instead of a ridiculous short time of 2 weeks. I waited, VERY RISKY considering how inconsisten customer support (of any company) is, for my 30 days to be up and I eventually got an Airave. When I found out that a new version was released I even upgraded to that one (the one made by Airvana, original was Samsung). I have had issues with BOTH models. My phones will connect, but once I try to make a call on any of my family's phones they fall off the Airave. The issue was not with Sprint, but with my internet provider, Insight Cable. They could not keep a consistent connection, which an Airave requires, for it to work properly. Even if it seemed like I was always perfectly connected on my laptop, it was quickly losing connecting for under a seconds multiple times a day. Luckily after switching ti AT&T U-verse internet I havn't had a problem since. Luckily for you there is an app in Andriod Market which allows unlimited WiFi calling directly through your Android phone's calling app, no secondary dialing app is needed. It is called GrooveIp and costs mearly $2, a one time fee NOT a monthly fee. And it works great for if your at work and you don't have a bad cell signal but a great WiFi connection. I use it in school so I can text, my school is a GIANT deadzone for every carrier. Good Luck and I hope you love Sprint.

Journeyman

I recently went through the same thing.  Found out about the airave on this forum, called and was told I would get a free one in the mail.  It never came so I called back, ended up with a supervisor, an hour later was told I wasn't eligible for a free device and was released from my contract.  My wife and I pay $140+/month but Sprint refuses to provide a $130 device to keep us as customers.  This was about 3 or 4 months ago.

We've put up with the lack of service in our home since, but are now shopping for new phones.  She wants the Galaxy S II Epic and I want the iPhone 4S.  If we re-up on our contract that's $400 in phones, plus the higher monthly bill due to the premium data add-on.  But if they continue to refuse to provide this device we'll have to look into Verizon or AT&T.  By my math, those two phones and 24 months at $160 is over $4000!  If Sprint wants us to give that money to a competitor, so be it.

Journeyman

I've been having aweful service in my apartment despite fair service around it so I decided to look into a booster, after reading this and doing a little research I called then new airave number at 8557522026 and after a breif interview they said the device is free, it's considered an additional line and all that has to be paid is some tax for ~$4 a month, they also said it's backordered right now and to expect 7-10 days for delivery. I'll update this when/if I receive it and let you know how effective it is. So far it's been a pleseant experiance, I only wish you could go pick the airave up in store for free.

Journeyman

I guess that I don't get it either. My wife and I have been Sprint or Nextel customers for so many years I have lost track. 3 grown kids now with their own.So I call today about loss of signal in and around the house and am told to buy an airave from them for full price, no assistance available but feel free to buy a used one on ebay and use it. I ask how much to get out of my contract so that I can go to another provider with closer towers and she gladly gave me the pricing, again no interest in keeping a customer.So the five of us will be going elsewhere. Sad, isn't it?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat