After installing the Airave into my network installation, YouTube completely stopped working, giving me the same message every time I try to play a video: "An error occurred. Please try again later." This happens on all devices on my home wi-fi network: desktop computer, laptop, two Android phones and a tablet. I tried bypassing the Airave and YouTube worked fine again. Also I'm pretty sure the device is throttling my download speed. Are there any fixes for this?
I am having the exact same issue. EVERY SINGLE one of my phones does the same thing.
Is there a solution to this? It's ridiculous, I have spent no less then 20 hours working on this and Sprint refuses to acknowledge there is an issue. It worked fine two weeks ago before I installed the updated airrave box.
Same here. And I'm not surprised Sprint hasn't responded with a fix. Without Air Rave, I have no bars or at the most 2 bars (if I move to the window) on my cell phone at home. Ridiculous.
I hate Sprint more and more, as time passess... can't wait for my contract to expire.
I fixed this by changing the DNS on my iPhone and iPad. You go into settings-wi if-pick your network then you will see the DNS. Change that number to: 126.96.36.199 and that should do it.
Jesus. I switched mine to the google public dns servers and youtube works fine now. what the hell.... oh, those IPs are 188.8.131.52 & 184.108.40.206
http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/116423 Follow this link for my solution to this issue, it is still working fine.