cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP - Someone...anyone

Highlighted
Journeyman

PLEASE HELP - Someone...anyone

Here is my issue.  Had an airave for a good six months and it worked great.  Now in our little Village we have wireless internet, the Village actually owns the utility.  We have this little boxes on the outside of the house that connect to various towers around the town.  I have an email in to our Mayor to get the technical specifics.  So anyway, my brother who lives a few doors down got an airave too.  We cannot both connect at the same time, its one airave or the other.  I believe our service provider is sort of like one giant connection, we all share one connection.  So basically its like having two airaves in one house even if they are a half mile apart.  Is it possible to have more than one airave hooked up to the same internet connection?  If so how do we do it?  Right now if we unplug the one that is connected the other will connect and vice versa.  Oh and my brother and I are on the same Sprint account, family business account and being charged the monthly access for two airave's, yet only one will connect.

Internet administrator says

"Right now you both have separate public ips and are on different private segments. It is a fully routed network."

The system light is the only one that isnt blue.  So I have power, I have GPS, and I have internet....but no communication with sprint.  If we unplug the other one at my brothers house, wait an hour or so the system light will go blue and mine will work but his will not.

Message was edited by: LONGER

After numerous agonizing phone calls with airave support we are told that in on circumstances should the airave work on a wireless internet system.  That we shouldnt have connected even one airave, let alone two, that it was impossible.  So we showed them, dialed a number and let them hear the beep beep, dialed the * number and let them hear the dude say we are within airave coverage.  They still say its impossible.

So now we take our 8 line business account and leave after having nextel/sprint for over 10 years.

Great customer service you got there, brutal.  Basically calling us a liar even though they could hear that it was connecting, then trying to say we must not have wireless internet, so we take a pic of the little dish thing on the house and send it to them, still dont believe us.  Its not satellite internet, its wireless, our town is basically a giant wi-fi hotspot.

Anyone here having any insight before we pick up shop and move away from this fiasco?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: PLEASE HELP - Someone...anyone

Looks like the "Internet administrator" allocated (2) IP Addresses, is that what is actually being picked up by the Airave's ?

Sounds like when the Airave sets up the VPN connection to Sprint, it's still using the same Public IP or the DHCP server is handing out something "funky". ( shrug )

So, maybe the first Airave is knocking the VPN out for the second?

Can you give your "Internet administrator" the MAC Addresses for the two units and have him/her do a manual DHCP to IP Mapping?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ph2022708968 wrote:

Looks like the "Internet administrator" allocated (2) IP Addresses, is that what is actually being picked up by the Airave's ?

Sounds like when the Airave sets up the VPN connection to Sprint, it's still using the same Public IP or the DHCP server is handing out something "funky". ( shrug )

So, maybe the first Airave is knocking the VPN out for the second?

Can you give your "Internet administrator" the MAC Addresses for the two units and have him/her do a manual DHCP to IP Mapping?

I would have to agree with you. I am curious about the separate public ip's but yet both can't work at the same time. I wonder how many VPN connections are allowed on the network? Maybe like you said, since they are both going to the same place one VPN blocks the other. I think you are on to something.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They may be doing nat-port-overload on udp-4500 ( VPN Port ) and maybe oops-ed the config? ( shrug )

Something is definitely wrong on their side, that's for sure!

I am thinking that they mapped your private IP(s) to a specific public-side nat ip address.

Or just didn't do something correctly in the config somewhere.

Hence, the map your Mac addresses to pull a static public ip and have them open up the firewall to that ip Address for you.

Assuming that they can do secondary addressing on the network ( two subnets on the same Layer 2 network ).

Hard to say without more network layout/config/design info though ( shrug ).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I send the network admin the first reply I got on here and he said...

That is what we are doing. We have mapped the new public IPs 1:1 to the private network IPs. Both are on separate /30 segments in the private range.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1. Firewall(s) alllowing inbound traffic to correct and both private ip's?

2. Does the wireless to ethernet ( copper ) bridge box have a firewall and/or nat enabled that shouldn't be?

3. DHCP handing out correct private ip's that have been mapped to the public natt'ed ip's to correct Airaves?

Maybe getting some other private ip's not mapped to the public ones?

4. Portal capture box anywhere on the network? ( for wireless, gives user(s) a splash screen to sign in, etc )

5. Worst case, hookup a laptop and go to this URL: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Does the ip that the webpage say is the public ip, they one you should have or the main natt'ed ip that everyone else has?

Message was edited by: ph2022708968

Journeyman

I will pass those questions on to the admin.  I really appreciate your willingness to help with this issue.  Tech support says it should never work on wireless network, but one of them has for going on 6 months now.  One is working as I type.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This setup is beyond the purview of the what Sprint want's to and can support ( don't blame them really ) but if the wireless is only acting as a layer 2 device, shouldn't have anything to do with it and it's probably some other backend config issue on the network.

Latency and jitter will still be an issue though so, you'll have to watch that, QoS it, etc if it gets bad.

Message was edited by: ph2022708968

Highlighted
Journeyman

admin says...(in reply to the 5 questions above)

1. Yes.
2. I don't know how they decide what should or shouldn't be there.
Firewalling and NATing are done at the CPE, but the ports for the appliance
are open and forwarded.
3. Yes. This is evident by the appliance working when only one is on.
4. No captive portal is used.

5. Try that and let me know what IP it reports.

I will do the IP thing when I get home, at work now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Both households did the ip address website thing, and both got the same exact IP.  I just informed the network admin, we will see what he has to say.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ya, makes sense. Had to be something not setup correctly....   😉

Did the laptop you used to test with, pull different IP Addresses both times?

( start button, cmd, ipconfig /all )

Highlighted
Journeyman

My laptop in my house is pulling the same IP everytime I go to that website, so is my desktop.

The other household is getting the same IP as me on all of their machines too.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat