cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor reception in Airave coverage area

Highlighted
Journeyman

Poor reception in Airave coverage area

Ok, last night I had to call my dad to help him with something network related.  I called him from my cell expecting great service since I was sitting right next to my Airave and heard the beep when I placed the call.  To my suprise I could hardly hear him & he could hardly hear me.  Thought it was his phone causing the issue since he had been working on the network and his Airave wasn't working properly at the time.  Went to call him back on his home phone and got a busy signal, then tried again and it never dialed (did hear the Airave beep though).  Finally got through and we could still hardly hear each other.  At this time I decided to reboot my Airave and call him while it was rebooting.  Managed to get a signal and his network fixed.  This was at around 8pm.  I went to bed at around 10:30pm and to my amazement my Airave still had not obtianed a GPS fix (yes, I am using the external antenna) or connected to the Sprint network.  Is my Airave dying?  The only other thing I can think of is an issue with the way my network is setup (cable modem to wireless N router, with a wireless G router in place as a switch and AP for older devices) is causing issues.  I plan to remove the wireless G router and replace it with an actual switch tonight, but since it was working fine before I do not think this will help it much if at all.

Anyone got a suggestion on what to do or should I call Sprint and complain the Airave they gave me for free isn't working right?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Poor reception in Airave coverage area

My suggestion plug the Airave directly into the cable modem to test it stand-alone.

If it works fine that way then you know it is crazy network setup. I am not 100% sure of this, but isn't the N router backwards compatible with the B/G topology (B/G devices work on N router, but are use B/G speed)? Or are you using the G router purely because you ran out of hardwired connections and needed more wired connections?

You may want to at least have the airave hooked to the N router, then the cable modem. I am wondering if the network translation for the VPN airave is a little problematic (internet > N router > G router as switch), unless you are 100% sure that the N router is in charge of assigning IP addresses to the devices on the G router (hence the G router is configured as a switch)?

Try router quality of service settings too, especially if you have a lot of other network traffic. But again, the airave would do best as close to the cable modem as possible I would think.

Remember when you configure something as a switch, the network cards and the airave (if it is hooked up to the switch) need to make the determination is the data sent for me! So if you have a ton of gaming (or a lot of other activity) using your local network (on the switch side). Plus the airave on the switch side, your internal network is going to make the airave work really hard to decide is each data packet for me. A hub or router takes care of sending data to only the device that needs it. Where as a switch gets/sends every piece of data to all the devices hooked up to it. This again causes the devices to make the choice, do I need that packet, was it for me!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the G router in place because I ran out of connections and so my laptop wouldn't drop to G speeds before I got a wired LAN adapter for my Wii.  Its DHCP server was disabled and it was forwarding all DHCP requests to my N router.  I have since put an 8 port 10/100 switch in its place but I didn't need to make any calls last night.

And you got your definition of a hub & a switch mixed up.  A hub is best thought of as a repeater, it gets something it and it broadcasts it to every port it has.  A switch has a MAC lookup table and when it gets something it, it figures out what port it is attached to (even if the port leads to another switch) and sends it to just that.  I do a fair amount of gaming (World of Warcraft) but like I said, it just started happening recently.  It also seems like it is having more and more problems getting a GPS fix so I might try moving it to my living room where there is a bigger window to put the external GPS antenna next to (or hopefully get said antenna outside using the patio door).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, found one probable cause.  Went to move it to the living room tongith and the cable for the external GPS antenna was in 2 pieces

Anyone know if you can get just the antenna?

Highlighted
Journeyman

As you said you get the airave beep I doubt it is the GPS.

I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MCX-AIRAVE&click=21

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think part of it might have been my wireless N router, it just died last night.  Taking the NIC in my desktop with it

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat