Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricted mode & related, QoS, Security, & more

Highlighted
Journeyman

Restricted mode & related, QoS, Security, & more

Got the femtocell yesterday.

1) Like one other post made here, the Sprint.com "manage my device" does not display restricted mode properly. I read posts here and on other forums where people find their restricted mode/zip code configuration reverting to "Allow All" after time. I contacted support, they verified that their system shows that my device is in restricted mode as Ihave set up (even though the website shows "Allow all".

1a) I mentioned to the tech that I read that there is an issue where a "disallowed" handset will not be able to make a call if they are near the Airarve. He confirmed this, although he didn't know anything about a firmware fix (I read that here). He indicated that if the neighbors start to call and complain that they cannot make a call, a 3rd-tier support engineer will "dial down" your femtocell so it does not interfere with it. Anyone know any different or have comments on this?

2) From what I read, the Airave communicates with Sprint via VPN. Does anyone know if the device is capable of tagging the packets for 802.1q (standards-based QoS)? I would like to configure my network devices to handle the Airave packets at a higher priority. The call currently gets very choppy during large downloads. I would hate to have to set up bandwidth management or traffic shaping if it does not support QoS.

3) The fact that Sprint can "reach out" through the tunnel and manage the device, I wonder if the device has the ability to allow the person on the other end to browse the network, ping, and perform other functions. This may be a security concern. I wonder how "hackable" the device is. I realize that it may be far fetched, but if the potential is there, I would like to know. It's sort of like having a computer with "remote assistance" on all the time, and this company can tap it at any time. I'd appreciate any information on this.

If the VPN is good,I presumepossiblility of local management (connecting to the device by me and messing with it) is out? Has anyone successfully connected to the device and "do stuff" with it? It does not respond to ping, and there is no service at port 80. I haven't done a port scan to see what I can come up with.

One thing I would like to do is to set up a static IP address for the device.

Thanks for any information.

Message Edited by snovvman on 01-29-2009 08:55 AM
Message Edited by snovvman on 01-29-2009 08:56 AM

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Restricted mode & related, QoS, Security, & more

I do know a firmware fix is planned for the 'unauthorized device' issue - but I have no idea when.  I'll ask around (again) to see if there's any updated information.

No info on QoS or security.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

The latest info we have is there there is a patch scheduled for late Spring for the restricted mode.  Not sure what all will be changed, no details are available. 

Still checking on QoS and security.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hopefully, it's like how Verizonwireless does theirs: http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Equipment/network_extender.html#item32

Puts the phones in the accesslist on the top of the priority list but allows all, instead of the way it is now which is to just outright block or allow.

I also like the fact that it allows ( Verizon's ) the first 3simultaneouscalls and the 4th call is reserved for 911 only but it'll do 4 calls total. That's a neat feature.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure what you re talking about RE: 802.1q , as 802.1q isn't a QoS mechanism but a VLAN Trunking mechanism.

You may be referring to diffserv orhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.1p maybe?

Not sure how that would help you though really, as most times the congestion will be at your SOHO router anyway, which you can control at the router byprioritizingthe IP address of the Airave itself. The internet isn't going to honordiffserv or 802.1p anyway so, it's really your only option. ( shrug ).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Relizing that this subj is older than dirt, was the new firmware ever released?

Can we use the restriction feature now?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat