cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup instructions for Airave behind a router

Journeyman

Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router

Definitely try that first to avoid headaches.

Journeyman

@Sgooter

I freed up two ports on my Cisco/Linksys E3000, one for the AirAve and one for the ethernet cable gong to my Linksys 5 port Switch. Plugged in my printer and Directv "On Demand" media adapter into the switch... So far, it works like a charm.

Journeyman

I'll experiment a little with using the switch to router combination.  If necessary, my printer has a wireless capability, so that will be my fall-back option.

Thanks again folks for the great inputs - very helpful.  Great forum here.

Journeyman

When I orginally got my Airave, I set it up behind my router and it worked fine.  I needed this beacuse I need to access my desktop computer from remote locations and needed to foward the RDP ports from the router to my desktp.  A year or so later, Airave is no longer working.  So, I've done the following:

- Reset the Airave, attached it to my Comcast cable modem directly.  Got a cell signal, so the Airave seems to be working.

- Set a static lan IP for the Airave within my 192.168.1.xxx network.  Connected the Airave WAN port to LAN port on Linksys E3200 (internet working through router fine).  No broadband connection on Airave, can't find Airave on network, can't ping Airave, can't ping from Airave

- Same setup as above, but Put Airave in DMZ on Router, reserved Airave IP on router with DHCP Reservation on Router.  Still no broadband, still can't see Airave on network, still can't ping.

- Same setup as two items above, also forwarded ports TCP 5060 & 5061, UDP 53, 67, 68, 500, & 4500 to IP assigned to Airave.  Still no broadband, still can't see Airave on network, still can't ping.

- Same seyup as 3 items above, but also assigned Internet (WAN) IP on Airave to be in the 192.168.1.xxx range.  This time I get a solid green broadband light, but still can't see Airave on network, still can't ping.

So clearly, for whatever reason, the Airave is not connecting to the router and joining the network.  Any ideas?

Also, would this work?  What if I put the Airave in front of the router, assigned the router a static IP in the 192.168.17.xxx range and put the router in the DMZ on the Airave.  Would my RDP requests pass through the airave to the router and then be controlled by the port-forwarding on my router?

Journeyman

I have a unique setup need and am looking for ideas.

I need to move a working Airave to another room.  Currently the Airave is behind a Linksys router.  What I'd be doing is putting it behind a second router, so the chain would look like this:

CM --- Router1 ----  (walls) ---- (via Ethernet) Router 2 --- Airave.

I never forwarded ports before and all worked fine.  I presume as long as IPSec is passed in both routers, It should work.  Some questions:

Can I have the Airave on the same subnet as Router 1, or must I setup a second subnet at Router 2?

What are the ports suggested earlier forwarded for?  What are the services?

Journeyman

This solution is absolutely NOT working for me with my Airport Express. I have used the ip address 10.0.1.1 for my airport express and 10.0.1.201.

Because of the mixed comments about port 5060-5061 being UDP or TCP, I have both entered in port forwarding. http://cl.ly/ISO5

In addition to the other ports 53, 67-68, 4500 http://cl.ly/IS8B

Still however, The mobile light still keeps blinking amber. Anyone have any words of advise?

Journeyman

okay.. so after reading all of these posts, here is my story and what I learned.

there are three versions of the Airave. The latest (version 2.5) is a whole lot easier to deal with. Here is what I did:

1. Left Airave alone

*Airave is already designed to get the IP from the ISP. My router will act as the ISP and will assign everything for it via DHCP.

2. Plugged my Router LAN into the Airave WAN.

3. Configured the Airave MAC to a static DHCP IP (for me 192.168.1.121) in my router

*Confirmed that the Airave was assigned that IP

4. Forwarded the following ports in my Router (5060-5061 UDP) to that static IP

*These are the _only_ ports needed for 2.5

After that I called Sprint to confirm that the device was registered (they need to know the MAC address of the Airave. Turned on the Airave and in a few minutes, we were ready to go.

Hope that helps anyone with a newer 2.5 version!

Also, I keep reading people writting about ping not working with the Airave. Since the Airave is a router (cheap one but still), it is most likely configured to not to respond to pings. Pinging 121 does not respond from any computer but I can verify via the Router that the MAC address is connected and is assigned that IP. I can also plug into the LAN on the Airave and go to 192.168.17.1 and look at what IP was assigned by the ISP (aka my router)

Sprint Employee

Hello BABELF1SH, our internal documentation indicates that ports 53, 67, 68, 500, and 4500 in used by the 2.5, and are best left unfiltered. Where have you read that 5060 - 5061 are the only required ports?

RC1024
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi i have issues with airave 2.5 setup. i have the following setup. modem - vonage device- router - airave . i can't send message with s3. this setup works fine for apple 4s and htc evo.

any advise.

Journeyman

After installing Airave 2.5 the mobile light was blinking red. The problem was fixed in 10 minutes after calling 866-556-7310 for Airave support. They literally did all the work for me

Journeyman

AggGrow wrote:

I have a unique setup need and am looking for ideas.

I need to move a working Airave to another room.  Currently the Airave is behind a Linksys router.  What I'd be doing is putting it behind a second router, so the chain would look like this:

CM --- Router1 ----  (walls) ---- (via Ethernet) Router 2 --- Airave.

I never forwarded ports before and all worked fine.  I presume as long as IPSec is passed in both routers, It should work.  Some questions:

Can I have the Airave on the same subnet as Router 1, or must I setup a second subnet at Router 2?

Why would you do what you are planning? Double NAT is just bad.

Why not use a simple hub/switch in place of Router 2? If you need a WiFI AP around Router 2, use a WAP instead. Many wireless routers can be put in a WAP mode, which is basically a hub sans NAT + an AP.

Journeyman

I've read the posts here and they've been helpful - more so than the dozen or so calls I've made to the 866-556-7310 number.  Those conversations take hours of hold time and generally go through the same cycle of useful questions only to end with a "restart and we'll call you back"... which never happens.  So, my last hope is this forum...

I have Verizon FIOS service - which is great - high speed, no problems, all good on that front.  I have the verizon router MI424-WR.  I can't connect the Airave in front of the router since the router also handles my digital TV streams, and I don't think the Airave is up to that.  So, the Airave 2.5 has to go into one of the router LAN ports - I plug Airave WAN into router LAN 1 port.  I set up the router to assign the Airave a static IP address 192.168.1.3.  My home network sits on the router port 4.  After trying various port forwarding combos, based on what I read here, I currently set the Airave as a DMZ host and removed all the port forwarding rules.

It seems no matter what I do the results are the same - all green except for a blinking red mobile light.  Help!  

Can anyone from Sprint (RC1024?) or the great ethernet in the sky provide some help?   I'm about out of ideas on this.   

I can be reached by email if it's better to work 1 on 1.     [removed personal info]

thanks...

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!