cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup instructions for Airave behind a router

Master

Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router

As long as the phone is working for you everything should be good.

Journeyman

I have the Airave working behind a router and it seems to work fine..

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the management inferface remotely such as enabling a remote management port?   I can't get to the admin page by just entering the ip address of the Airave..

I want to check the time on the device because text messages are coming in on my phone with the wrong time stamp.

Thanks

Bryan

Journeyman

the easiest way to do this is to run a 2nd cable from the 1st LAN port to your network and have a second static IP on that LAN interface.

Journeyman

ok so I'm having one hell of a time getting my airave to work behind my router (ie, it has never worked).  I know sprint's preferred setup is to have the airave device in front of the router and connected directly to the modem, but this thread proves that there's no need for such a setup, and i really don't care to have the airave device take over the setup my my network. 

so to layout a general network map of how I have things....  my ISP is time warner/roadrunner.  i have a flat /24, no vlans, no real complex stuff going on.  i have a hardware firewall that acts as the firewall, router, dns server, dhcp server, etc etc etc, using IP 192.168.0.1.  of course, the firewall is cabled straight to the modem.  I have the router cabled downstream to a managed core switch, which is IP'd to 192.168.0.2.  the core switch trunks off to drops throughout the house, and is not doing anything complex (ie the switch is acting as a layer 2 switch, all layer 3 functionality is handled at the firewall/router level).  From there, I have the house run with network drops in each room, and the room that the Airave is in has multiple other network devices, so from the wall jack in this room, I have a cable going to a small Linksys workgroup switch.  Now on this switch I actually have 2 cables going to the Airave device.  One is to the WAN port, which I have a static IP set on it as 192.168.0.4.  For management purposes (ie so I can log into the device from my network, and the WAN port doesn't respond to port 80 requests and the LAN port does, I have the first LAN port cabled to the workgroup switch, with an IP of 192.168.0.5 bound to it.  I have UDP ports 67, 68, 500, 4500, 5060, and 5061 all forwarded to 192.168.0.4 through my firewall.  (hence there is no need for me to set up a DMZ for this thing).

Now the reason I am comfortable leaving this setup the way it is, is because I can log into the Airave, and I am able to browse to the diagnostic page and (1) I can ping out to the internet, (2) I can resolve DNS on the Airave, (3) multiple sprint support techs have told me that they can use the MAC ID of the Airave to communicate with the device and monitor the progress of the device booting up.  I KNOW that this thing can talk to the internet just fine.

Despite all my efforts, I can get a solid green broadband light (so I know the device can talk to my network), a solid green GPS light (so I know that the Airave device is securing a good GPS signal), but the Mobile signal seems to always time out and I end up with a flashing amber (or red, whatever you want to call it) light for that one. 

I have talked to numerous sprint techs who just seem to have no idea what they're doing, and don't seem to understand that these things DO work behind a router, and when I ask them what the device is doing, they seem to think I wouldn't understand them (which is only more frustrating).

So if this thing won't provision, what could be the problem?  Am I missing a forwarded port on the firewall, or is this thing just doing something I can't see?  Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Journeyman

NEVEROSKY- see my tale of woe posted in Aug 2012.   It's impossible to say with absolute certainty, but your problems sound exactly like mine and others I've read about.  If the Sprint people did not set up things at their end correctly, the unit will not provision and you get exactly these light conditions.  YOU can't change that at your end.  You don't need ports open, DMZ, or anything at your end.  You DO need a competant Sprint person to look at their setup - and that's hard to come by it seems.   Keep trying - push to get in touch with an "engineer".  That seems to be the title they give someone that has some skills and know-how.   As I said, it took me about 20 calls to get the right person.  It took him 20 mins to sort it all out and things have worked perfectly since then.   I did nothing - no ports, no DMZ, nothing.  I simply put the airave behind my router like any other device.  My firewalls are still up, DHCP is running fine.  There is nothing special about the airave - it just has to be properly setup at the Sprint end.  Unfortunately, that takes patience and persistence at your end...   good luck.
Journeyman

Need to know if anyone else is having this issue with the 2.5. I can not change any setting in the Firewall of this thing, and it's set up to block everything on every port. No matter what I try to do on the Firewall page, I can't get anything to stop blocking everything.

If you've had this issue and have a resolution, please do share. If not, share anyway. It'll help me figure out wheather it's the Airave that's faulty or not.

Journeyman

I just had UVerse installed. I could never get the AirRave to work on my older cable modem service but thought I would give it a try with a newer technology router. I did a factory reset, set the LAN IP address of the Airrave to match my local 192.168.1.x addresses, unchecked the box for "Use as a router" and let it go. No luck. It did the same thing it had always done, Mobile light flashed amber.

I called tech support and got someone who had me do a factory reset again. I assumed that was an excuse to get me off the phone but the person promised to

call me back in 20 minutes. So, guess what, nobody ever called back. Big surprise, not.

But, I left the AirRave alone with it's out of the box setting and after about 30 minutes, all 3 lights came on. The AirRave works, everything on my home network works, and there is quite a bit of "everything." As I thought about it, nothing on the network needs to communicate with the AirRave except the Uverse router, so if it is on 192.168.17.x and everything else is on 192.168.1.x, it doesn't matter. I also suspect that leaving the box checked for "Use as a router" may have made a difference, but I'm not going to test that since it's working.

Bottom line, I didn't change any settings, used the AirRave out of the box, connected the WAN port to a LAN port on the Uverse box, and it works.

Journeyman

In case anybody is wondering, the LAN IP has nothing to do with the connection to the internet. That LAN IP is only a reference to what devices plugged directly into the Airave LAN ports can access the Airave to change Airave settings. The internet IP (WAN) is the only one that matters, and in some cases setting it static might be more helpful.

The other thing to note, is that this is SLOW AS HELL to propagate, which means it could easily take 2 hours before it's functioning properly.

Journeyman

Port forwarding is in every router.

Anyone doing this should know that this setup was pehaps specific to the original posters router (settings). Your router may/will be different. If you don't understand how your router works, please read and understand your manual for your router before trying any of this.

Most routers are easier to do than this. As long as you know the MAC address from the bottom, you reserve DHCP via the MAC address in your router and it will show the IP of the Airave (name Airave didn't show in my router) save settings, go to port forwarding and forward UDP 53, 67, 68, 500, & 4500. You don't need TCP. I have no idea who or where anyone is getting TCP ports. If you have QOS in your router set it for the IP assigned by DHCP reservation, set it for any type and don't change anything else. DONE.

I know this sounds confusing but, a 1500 word setup for dummies isn't in my nature.

I have a DIR-655 router and I only had to set DHCP Reservation, Port Forwarding and QOS routing. DO NOT try to setup wish for this! Wish is a wireless setting. Took all of 5 min to do and didn't read how because I knew how my router works.

Another thing to keep in mind. I prefer this method for several reasons;

1. Sprint won't be able to access my network. For those of you without a router.

2. If your a heavy downloader, the Airave denies access to the internet (IE) when using the phone. At least in my case I couldn't access the internet or Skype even though my downloads still worked.

Journeyman

I just remembered this morning that using DMZ in router configs will put the Airave out in the open (not protected by the router). If, and most every router has this and you enable it for the Airave (any version), there is no need for opening ports or using QOS or DHCP reservation.

Any service that is being provided to users on the external network can be placed in the DMZ. The most common of these services are: