Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup instructions for Airave behind a router

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router

Port forwarding is in every router.

Anyone doing this should know that this setup was pehaps specific to the original posters router (settings). Your router may/will be different. If you don't understand how your router works, please read and understand your manual for your router before trying any of this.

Most routers are easier to do than this. As long as you know the MAC address from the bottom, you reserve DHCP via the MAC address in your router and it will show the IP of the Airave (name Airave didn't show in my router) save settings, go to port forwarding and forward UDP 53, 67, 68, 500, & 4500. You don't need TCP. I have no idea who or where anyone is getting TCP ports. If you have QOS in your router set it for the IP assigned by DHCP reservation, set it for any type and don't change anything else. DONE.

I know this sounds confusing but, a 1500 word setup for dummies isn't in my nature.

I have a DIR-655 router and I only had to set DHCP Reservation, Port Forwarding and QOS routing. DO NOT try to setup wish for this! Wish is a wireless setting. Took all of 5 min to do and didn't read how because I knew how my router works.

Another thing to keep in mind. I prefer this method for several reasons;

1. Sprint won't be able to access my network. For those of you without a router.

2. If your a heavy downloader, the Airave denies access to the internet (IE) when using the phone. At least in my case I couldn't access the internet or Skype even though my downloads still worked.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just remembered this morning that using DMZ in router configs will put the Airave out in the open (not protected by the router). If, and most every router has this and you enable it for the Airave (any version), there is no need for opening ports or using QOS or DHCP reservation.

Any service that is being provided to users on the external network can be placed in the DMZ. The most common of these services are:

Highlighted
Journeyman

tomdeaver > "Thank you for your input.  Keep in mind that although many Airave owners use the reversed style of hookup, we still prefer the Airave be connected directly to the modem.  This is primarily due to the Airave having to compete with a customer's wifi traffic when hooked into the router.  When the Airave is connected before the router as in modem/airave/router, the Airave gets the most consistent flow of data and is less prone to failures."

That's the problem.  The instructions that come with the Airave do not say this is the reason they want it hooked up that way, they just say it must be hooked up in that order.  I found this searching to find out if I was going to need a port forward or something.  Lots of people who don't know how networking works, so when the Airave takes priority for itself and slows your other traffic, your vpn connection to your company drops, or your kids tell you they can't play games online anymore, or your netflix quality goes to $#!+, they spend hours on the phone with their cable company, or buying a new router, or realizing it's the airave and just boxing it and returning it.

You need to spell this out in the instructions to give people the option.  For some people, a stable connection to their computer is more important than a dropped call.  And on a lot of routers, you can now do QOS in order to insure there is some minimal ammount of bandwidth reserved for the airave.  But since Sprint isn't giving us the option, I have no idea how much bandwidth you might need or what ports I might need to make settings for.

Good job sprint, for assuming we are idiots.

Also, your explaination is wrong.  It would lead users to believe if they are hardwired and have no wifi then there will never be a bandwidth issue.  IT doesn't only compete with wifi traffic, it competes with all internet traffic from your house.  You also leave out the fact that in order to insure that "the Airave gets the most consistent flow of data and is less prone to failures" you are reducing the bandwidth to every other device in the customer's home.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to have my Airave 2.5 behind the router because of much of the above, plus my router, modem and ISP connection is in the basement, and I don't find it likely to get a good GPS signal there.  But when setting a static IP on the <setup><wan settings> page, it doesn't stick after a power cycle.  Comes back up blank, and back into Dynamic IP mode, and my Windows Server DCHP Server does confirm that it powered back up and requested and was assigned Dynamic IP.  Does anyone else see that the Static IP doesn't stay?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Your service provider has to have/assign you a static ip in order for it to work that way. I have Roadrunner and they are a dynamic ip unless you call to have them assign a static one for that purpose.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello

Well I have spent a good part of this late night reading thru these threads.... Just got my Airave 2.5 today.... Hooked it up thru the Arris Time Warner Modem into the Airave and then into my Netgear wndr 3400 v2 I have all green lights.... Yay ! But wait.... I look at my phone and went from 5 bars back to 0 or maybe 1........ I dial *99 when signal shows up and it says Im in the Airave signal...... Signal drops... Still show green lights but dont have the Airave signal to my phone.. I have a Samsung Galaxy S III ...... I called Time Warner to try boosting my internet speed to Turbo.... Wont get near the upload speed and download is on the low end of the "specs" they say.... I have a Cable Tech coming tomorrow..... Who knows what the day will bring...... Why does this have to be so difficult ? Does this Technology get tested before it gets sent to the public ? Or are we doing the testing ? More Details to follow..........

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since my last post to this thread, I have upgraded to Airave 2.5.

Observations:

1. Works fine behind the cable modem (solid green lights with good connection)
  2. Does not work behind my TP-link router WR941N or WDR4300
  3. When connected behind my router, I can successfully communicate for 30-45 sec with the other party then it goes to dead air. However, the phone call continues and it does not drop off.
  4. After I hang up the call, I tried *99 and it does not connect to airave
  5. Is this a problem with the airave or router config? Does anyone else have problems with TP-link routers?
  6. Just spoke to CSR at Airave support. They are gonna send another Airave 2.5 (their conclusion is that my unit is defective, despite manufacturing date of March 2013).
  7. In the meanwhile, I'm going to connect to the cable modem directly (Cisco Cable Modem 2100 on TWC)

Any thoughts?

Efforts attempted:

1. Opened UDP ports: 53, 67, 68, 500, 4500
  2. Assigned static IP on the router based on the MAC of the Airave 2.5
  3. Tried DMZ
  4. NAT enabled
  5. IPSec Passthrough enabled
Highlighted
Journeyman

Looks like you done it right. Only thing though, you can't assign a static ip unless your provider (Roadrunner, Comcast, Google etc.) has assigned you a static ip.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't understand why my ISP needs to assign an static IP for my Airave when I have my Airave installed behind my router, ie:on my LAN.  Why should the ISP care what IP is assigned on that side of the firewall? The router's IP is unaffected and unchanged.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's the way networks work. I can't give lessons on networking but, here is a simple way it works. If you have a dynamic ip (which changes) from your service provider then you set a static ip (never changes) to your Airave it won't work even behind the router because the Airave is looking for the static ip to flow through. If you set a static ip to your router, it won't work either. Your router has DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which assigns an ip to each peripheral also and reads the ip from the ISP.

I hate to say it NOT but, I have used many different brands of routers and found that Dlink are the easiest to setup and configure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

JAMiner11,

Razorwind is going a little too fast and when he slows down to reread what he wrote, he will see the error of saying that you can not self-assign a static IP address to the Airave 2.5 _when_ the Airave 2.5 is downstream from you router.

The fact is that most cable companies only allow 1 IP address to exist on the ethernet port of the cable modem.  And that IP address is dynamically assigned at their head end, and could change in the future.

That means the device (router mostly) that connects via ethernet cable from the cable modem ethernet port to the downstream device's  (router usually) WAN ethernet port must be configured to listen for DHCP IP address advertisement on the WAN port.  Since this entire config is about the joys of placing the Airave downstream/behind your router, that means that only the actual router WAN port must be configured for DHCP (versus a static IP address that you would enter.)

Once you find your Airave's default MAC address and have decided what static IP address you want to assign to the Airave's WAN port, away you go. you can reserve the Airave's (static) IP address in the router's LAN side config so the MAC address maps to the fixed (static) IP address - and never changes.  Hope that helps.

Oh, one more hint that may help folks.  When the cable modem advertises the IP address it is making available to its downstream device (router mostly) it learns the MAC address of that device and holds on tight.  With many cable companies, if you disconnect one device (e,g, the Airave 2.5 in Sprint's "preferred" configuration) and plus in your router, the cable modem _may_ not release the obsolete MAC address and learn the new one. Everything will appear broken, internet down. So, when you change what is connected to the cable modem's ethernet port, unplug the cable modem's power connector  first, plug in the new device and then plug the power connector back in. Wait until you see the cable modem blinking away, then power up the router.  Hope that helps someone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm still having the issue where the Airave just flat out refuses to work behind my router, no matter what I do. It works totally fine in between my modem and router, but when it's hooked up that way, since all of the ports are permanently blocked in the Airave, I can barely do anything on my network despite having my router hooked up to LAN 1. Especially no Youtube.

More than likely they're going to offer me yet another replacement unit, which will be the third brand new Airave 2.5. I'm sure that one's going to fail as well, simply because all of the firewall rules are locked on the Airave. You can log into the Airave, 192.168.17.1, but can change very little. All ports are blocked and can't be changed. The schedule also can not be modified. Hell, I can't even set my timezone. It says I'm in Casablanca, and every time I apply the settings, they just reset back to the factory ones.

I don't get it. My older model Airave worked totally fine in between my modem and router. >,<;

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat