cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Airave? Try this...

Journeyman

Re: Trouble with Airave? Try this...

Hey TIMRADTKE64,

Make sure you followed the following steps before plugging the Airave into your router,

First thing you will need to do is plug the WAN port of your modem to the WAN port on the Airave.  Wait, didn't I just say not to?  This is temporary.  We need access to it's management page prior to truly putting it on the network.  So connect a PC or laptop to LAN port 1 on the Airave & the WAN port to your modem.  You will want both completely powered off while connecting them, then plug your modem in first, wait for it to power up & then once its completely started, plug in the Airave.  Now the waiting.  Did I mention this thing sucks as a router?  Well yeah, it's going to take at least 10 minutes to "initialize".  Once you have all the light illuminated, turn on the PC or laptop connected to the Airave.  Now you will need to pull up a browser & navigate to "192.168.17.1".  I believe initial login & password are both "admin", so enter those to access the console.  Ok, now navigate to the "Advanced" tab.  You will need to turn off the option for "Use as DHCP server", as we do not want this thing setting up our IP's on our network.  We will also change the IP address of the Airave from the "192.168.17.1" to something on your IP range for your network.  I changed mine to "192.168.1.2", as my router's IP is "192.168.1.1", so makes configuration easy.  You may need to change the DHCP range from "192.168.17.2" through "192.168.17.254", I did just to be safe, so get rid of the 17 in each address & change to 1, even though we are not allowing the Airave to assign DHCP.  Ok, once all is changed, click apply.  It may give you some message about needing to release the PC IP address, but just click OK.

This could be your problem.  Once you've completed those steps, then run an ethernet cable from one of the 4 ports on the back of your router into the lowest port on the back of the Airave (Internet port).

Adam

Journeyman

Help

I read you post and this seems like it would fix my problem, but it seems like an awful lot of steps for me to survive. i guess i just want to make sure your solution. I have Comcast high speed internet. The internet cable goes into a modem, the modem goes into a internet port on a wireless router and the wireless router has 4 ports to plug things into. The first three are a pc, a laptop and an x-box. We really just use the wireless part as a wifi I guess.

I tried using the yellow ethernet cable plugging the airave's internet port, the one with the yellow outline, into the last port on the wireless router.

Right now I have a green light on GPS and Internet, but flashing yellow on mobile.

Should I be using a different port on the airave? I guess I'm still confused.

Is this the problem your fix works on?

Journeyman

Hey DMG,

I'm sorry to say, but your situation isn't looking too good!  It seems that the Airave isn't going to help you at all unless you decided to get internet access through your TV provider, Dish Network.  And even then, I'm not sure how good the voice quality and lag would be using satellite internet as opposed to cable internet.  I see that you are using an Overdrive for your internet access.  I find it weird that you are able to get a good enough signal using the Overdrive in your house, but are unable to get a good phone signal.  Do you get 4G coverage where you moved to in Huntsville, AL?  The only other solution I can think of if you really want to stay with Sprint is to purchase a zBoost cell phone signal booster that works with Sprint's wireless phone frequency.  Here are a couple of options I found doing a quick search...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875997551&Tpk=zBoost%20YX545

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875997550&Tpk=zBoost%20YX540

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Extenders-zBoost-Booster-MetroPCS/dp/tech-data/B002JTWDS2/ref=de_a_smtd

I've never used one personally, so read some reviews on them...it seems to work pretty well.

Here's zBoost's main homepage too...

http://www.wi-ex.com/index.aspx

Hope this helps,

Adam

Journeyman

AKADAM,

Contacting you cause I saw that you have a bit of experience with the Airave and its setup and usage.  I moved to Huntsville, AL from NYC 30 days past and signal with Sprint sucks now.  However, I also have internet with Sprint as well, using a Overdrive device which works fine.  However, to attempt to resolve my NO BARS issue with my phone, Sprint insist on sending me a Airave even when I continue, time after time and call after call, tell them that I do not have LAN based internet but rather wireless with them.  Well it is on the way and will be here tomorrow, 12/8/2010.  I am clueless as to what to do with it, due to my TV broadcast is provided by Dish Network and not a cable company.  Can you offer any advice?  Cause after 11 years I hate to go depart with Sprint for ATT or one of those other suckers.

Thanks, DMG

Journeyman

For those people that just received their device and still have a blinking Amber Mobile light...this may sound dumb, but just because Sprint sent you this device saying that it's activated, doesn't mean it is yet.  When I talked to Sprint on the phone when I first ordered the new Airave, they told me it would be shipped already activated...but it wasn't.  I figured that out when I signed into my Sprint account online and realized they still had my old Samsung Airave activated.  So once I called them up, they asked for the new Airave's info and they activated it.  Then the blinking Amber Mobile light went away.  I'm sure a lot of you already have done this, but it never hurts to remind everyone to try the most obvious solution...which is to make sure it's activated.

Journeyman

@ss_sandra_soto

With this setup I have now, I have never experienced the issue you are referring to.  It's been working pretty solidly for a couple months now.  I wish I could say the same for the 2 Windows Mobile phones I have.  Come on Sprint, release a Windows Phone 7 device already!!

Journeyman

Will this fix the issue with multiple repetitive incoming and outgoing text messages as well lost airave connection... its been a nightmare, how's this fix working? Did it solve similar issues?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This didn't do anythign for me. Mobile light still blinks amber.

Journeyman

To OP...

Although I don't doubt the experience you found....disable DHCP will have no effect on your network because you have nothing plugged into the LAN side of the airave......

Kind of like plugs in your house...they can provide electricity but if nothing is plugged into them it does no harm...

Journeyman

Thanks man!!  Awesome post...this seems to have worked perfectly for my setup.  This is the way Sprint should have given instructions in the Airave Access Point's manual.  But then again, I don't really expect the "average joe" PC user to be able to get this setup working properly all by themselves even with these instructions...LoL  And that really sucks because this device has the potential of helping A LOT of people with weak signal coverage in their houses.  I really wish Sprint could have produced a device that worked like the original Airave!  I previously had the Samsung Airave for a little over a year before calling up Sprint and having them send me this new 3G Airave Access Point.  The Samsung was a simple setup with only 1 LAN (ethernet) port on the back.  This was a no-brainer!  Just plug it into your router, just like you would with any other ethernet equipped device...no problem!  However, now they've really complicated things for the average user with the new Airave Access Point which is essentially a wired router with a femtocell built in.  I can kind of see why Sprint would think this was a great idea.  With this new Airave the customer isn't forced to go out and purchase their own router (even though 99.9999% of people have one by now) AND Sprint is able to implement their own preconfigured Quality of Service (QoS), this way other network traffic won't interfere with your call quality.  I'm sure they figured they were making things easier for us and that they could potentially avoid a ton of customer service calls, but the exact opposite has happpened.  I would say that the MAJORITY of users who have gone out and spent a decent amount of money on a new Wireless "N" router want it to be their primary network device so they can use all the great features they possess.  Who the hell would want their Dual Band Wireless N gigabit router basically daisy chained off of this inferior "no name" router!?  I know I don't.

Hey SPRINT, here is the solution to this whole mess...are you listening??

You should send out these new Airave Access Points with preconfigured settings to just have their WAN port plugged directly into the customer's router's LAN port.  SIMPLE!!!  You can even place a nice yellow sticker over the Airave's two LAN ports so the customer isn't confused about which stupid ethernet port to plug into.  Then in the instruction manual clearly state which UDP ports on your router need to be open for the Airave to operate properly OR tell the customer to add the Airave's IP address to the router's DMZ.

And now for the best part!  For those customer's that actually WANT to use their Airave as a router (because they don't have their own router, or only have one PC in the house and never needed one) make it so that all they have to do is press that little RESET button on the back, and the Airave can default to the settings that they are currently shipping with now, which would make the Airave act as a router.  I believe this would make a lot of people happy and would save Sprint from having to answer A LOT of customer service phone calls.

Anywayz...enough with my rant...LoL  I'd just like to thank cwickstylz again for posting these helpful instructions!!!  I just hope other people are able to find them!