cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Airave? Try this...

37 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Trouble with Airave? Try this...

If I may add, through experience of both DSL and Cable internet connections.  Cable is far much better. I had DSL 6Mbps, which is a lot but the AIRAVE is so demanding it would cause a interruption and cause my phone calls on go silent for 30 to 60 secs if I was on the internet on my laptop at the same time.  I switched to a cable provider, and moved up to 18Mbps and I have had no problems. 3 laptops, 4 sprint phones, 1 IPad, 2 IPods and a Xbox360 and everything is just lovely now.  Hope you all did not mind the chime in.

Journeyman

Just to clarify the post here. Yes you need high speed Internet for the Airave to work but it has to be DSL or Cable, Satellite is not supported or recommended. you also need to be with in 15 miles of a tower and have clear line of sight for GPS lock (for 911 service per FCC regulations).

Journeyman

We got the Airvana Airave as our ground-floor apartment in a three-story building is surrounded by buildings 8 feet away and our phones could not connect to a Sprint tower.  From the outset, the GPS was, mostly, blinking, only occasionally solid, due to the very narrow window to the sky, I'm guessing.  This situation did not make the Airave service non-operational, altogether, but there were problems with dropped calls.  It seemed that pushing the GPS antenna out the window, a little, made for a more stable sync situation wrt GPS, but not 100%.  Furthermore, it's claimed in the manual not to expose this antenna to the weather; it's not waterproof.  After weeks/months of conflicting TS advice and exhausting all the options, afaik, I got a weatherproof antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZKUR1W/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

It is placed on the sill just outside the window and has made all the difference in the world.  GPS stays solid, call relliability is improved.  I can't say 100% solved as this is in GF's apartment, but all reports are good, so far, knock on wood!

Master

First you have to get the broadband to be solid - that is the VOIP connection.

Next you need the GPS to lock - the way the FCC approved this device the 911 - GPS solid green -has to work before the unit begins to broadcast a signal (mobile solid green).

Also the GPS has nothing to do with Sprint or the internet - it is satellite based so your device has to be seen by satellites - I know people who use it in a basement by running the antenna through the wall or window to get above ground.

Also refer to this post once you have it working - http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/77438

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Do I need a gps signal inorder for the Airwave to work? My workstation is no where near a window. It is in a den with no windows located at the bottom of the house. Also do you know if I can network it through a Ethernet jack in the wall which is upstairs near a window. Thanks.

Journeyman

I dont know about you guys, but I am currently setting up the Airvana, and Broadband light stays completely lit up, but GPS and Mobile are flashing, then go completely off, then start flashing again. They stay off for a solid couple minutes, then go back to flashing, to sometimes even staying bold. Please help! The Broadband light stays lit the whole time. My Airvana is 10 feet from a window and has the GPS thingy wire next to the window.

Journeyman

Found a gem for you guys:

http://files.persona.cc/zefie/files/airvana/telnet.html

Didn't see any posts about unlocking/unblocking Telnet on the Airvana but searching around the internet I found that unlock/unblock Telnet can apparently be done.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the complete string from the browser status line because it truncates after http://192.168.17.1/setup.cgi... since my IP address is different so I could access the webpage for the Airvana.

NOTE: I was able to verify that this works by connecting with a LAN cable directly to the Airvana when it was reset to the default IP.

Telnet is now unblocked and when I got in, it showed a Busybox prompt.

The only useful thing so far that I did was correct the date and time from what it was showing before (Dec 1999).

Journeyman

I don't see why everyone is complaining because they have to be a "TECH SUPPORT" "COMPUTER GENIUS" to install this. The year is 2011 and if you want to use high tech devices, you have to learn the basics. If you want to pay someone to install it, call someone like Best Buy's Geeksquad.

What I find to be a little silly is that at the heart of this matter is people with low tech skills not wanting to pay the money to have things like their home or office network set up correctly. If you don't have the skill set, that is your fault. Again, it is 2011. Everyone that uses a computer should have the basic skills to follow this posters directions on the first post.

When I followed the directions, it worked perfectly. If you don't have the patience to follow the directions, that is your fault people. If you cannot understand these very simple instructions, you probably are not capable of doing this yourself so pay someonebody to do it. Most of these posts are by people who are making mistakes and not following directions, not because the airwave is a bad device.

And no, I don't work for Sprint.

Journeyman

I am having a problem with setting up my Linksys WRTG54 router to a Vision Net modem and AirAve. Can anybody help me with this????

Journeyman

Same here. I set mine up using the quick guide and it worked right out of the box. We only use the Airave to strengthen the mobile phone signal up here at our cottage. The Airave works most of the time. However, once or twice a day, it goes out. My solution is this:

- Unplug the Airave. Unplug the router. Unplug the modem. Wait a couple minutes.

- Plug the modem back in. Plug in the Router. Plug the Airave back in.

Wait a couple minutes as the Airave goes thru its blinking process. Then it works again, giving us 5 bars on the phones.

No problem with the Internet signal. It has been continuous. Laptops, iPods, etc. connect without a problem.  We even set the Airave up to only allow access from four, specific, Sprint phone numbers. But the Airave keeps getting that amber, blinking light.

Any suggestions?