Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube error while on wireless router at home "connection to server lost"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Youtube error while on wireless router at home "connection to server lost"

Here is all details on the issue and what I have tried so far:

Okay, I have been working on this for about 5 days now and I can't figure out what is going on.

All of a sudden, all my Android devices will not play videos with the youtube app.  I have two Samsung Galaxy Note II's, a Samsung Galaxy S2, and an older LG Android phone(I don't know model, but a cheap one).  None of them will play with the youtube app, all come up with "Connection to server lost".  One thing I have tried and it will fix issue temporarily, is to manually edit the DNS entries on my phone for my wireless connection.  I manually change them to be googles DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and then it will work.  BUT, as soon as I reboot my phone or leave my network and come back in range of my network, it will no longer work, even though the DNS settings have stayed as I put them in.  Only way to get it to work again is to "forget" the wireless connection, and manually go through what I describe above.

I have a 6 month old Netgear R6300, a top of the line 5G router. It has been perfect and I have not changed one thing on it since the youtube app quit working.  I did go ahead and hard reset it back to factory defaults to see if somehow something changed on it, still no youtube video.

If I turn off wireless I can play fine through 3G/LTE. 

I can play fine on all my pc's, it's just Android that is the issue

I had a friend come over with his iphone and of all phones, his iphone will stream via my wireless router the youtube app just fine! 

This has to be a google issue(or possibly Comcast issue), I don't know what else it could be!

I also talked with Comcast, they said it's not on their end...but I have not talked with higher end support at Comcast.  I have been told that Comcast does cache the youtube videos...but why is the iphone working fine(maybe it's routing differently?)

PLEASE HELP!  I bought my Note 2 with the huge display so I can watch youtube videos sitting around on the couch, now can't!

UPDATE #1

Also, I am a really technical guy, computer science degree/background....and I am stumped with this one!! 

Only other difference is the iphone that works is with a different provider then my phones(Sprint), but I don't think it should matter since both are streaming from my wireless network.

Also, one last thing, I took my phone to some other hotspots to try them there, they work fine there.....so it is a combination of Comcast/Google caching issues getting to google servers from Comcast?  Anyone have a phone # for higher up tech support at comcast or google?

UPDATE #2

another update. 

I forgot that I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that I don't have "activated" on any mobile networks. It's an old phone with cracked screen, so we just use as a "gaming" system only on wireless 2.4g/5g.  I just checked it out, and it will play  Youtube Videos perfectly.

Even though it should not matter, but is it possible that with the phones "activated" on the Sprint network somehow causing these issues even though technically the youtube routing is going through my wireless router at home?

My next step would be to possibly activate my old S2 on the Sprint network and deactivate one of the phones not working, and see if the currently working old S2 will start experiencing same issue as soon as I activate it on the Sprint network../

SPRINT, PLEASE HELP!

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

Re: Youtube error while on wireless router at home "connection to server lost"

CraigCraigBa,

This sounds very very strange. While I am happy to hear that everything is working great outside of this, I like to help in any way I can and dove in head first. I started with trying to get you the number for the next level of technical support within Comcast. I spoke with a Customer Account Executive that informed me, very nicely, that their technical support is basically it if you want to avoid fees. While on hold I looked into the possibility of Google support and found the number to their HQ, though not the tech support number. That number is 650.253.0000 and they should be able to at least direct you to the correct phone number or information.

As for moving forward on our end. I am curious when the last time the app updated itself was, or if you have already tried to update it. I see YouTube updating a lot on my own device and just wanted to make sure you were working on the most up to date version. Beyond that I really can't think of much more that you did not detail besides the normal uninstall/reinstall of the app, or perhaps factory resetting the device itself.

I wish I could be of more help, but my abilities for this are pretty limited. Please let me know if you find a fix, or if there is anything I can help with further!

*Ben

Social Care

Journeyman

I have updated Youtube and I have the newest version.  I have uninstalled updates on it, reinstalled them, I have cleared cache on the app, I have removed my account from phone. 

I think it's something that happens as soon as a phone gets associated with the Sprint....since my Samsung Galaxy SII that I don't have "activated" as a phone on the sprint network works just fine with the youtube app on my wireless network at home.  I have it updated to the newest version as well. The SII that I have activated on the sprint network will not play the youtube videos on my wireless network. There is definatley something going on here!

Let me know if there is a specific # I should call or what best way to route this issue to someone is.

Wizard

this is weird.

I assume you saw something like this mentioning 'Comcast's throttled DNS' ?   Does this have anything to do with it? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1596474&page=2

Is that why you were messing with DNS settings? I'm def out of my league on this one.

Journeyman

CraigCraigBa,

I did a bit more digging into this and want to try something on our end. Basically I want to get your phone a new block of IP addresses, which will provide a different route to access the internet. This will either resolve the issue, or allow us to rule out a few things over here. To do this I'll need to access your account. Please PM me your phone number and PIN and we'll get started on this right away.

I also had another thought. You mentioned that this is not present on a deactivated phone. Would you mind turning off all other connections (including mobile network) except for WiFi on the active device and trying it again? Let me know how that goes.

*Ben

Social Care

Journeyman

AWESOME!  For some reason I didn't realize there was the option to turn off "mobile data" until you mentioned it.  I had tried airplane mode in past, but of course that also disables wireless networks.

I am including a screen shot(the Note 2 is just great!) of what I changed. I unchecked "mobile data" and NOW IT WORKS ON MY LOCAL WIRELESS NETWORK! 

This is a big issue....I'm sure you have seen all the posts all over the internet with this same issue....and people have not been able to figure out how to resolve it(or what was causing it). This helps with what is causing it, but still leaves me with a bunch of non-functioning devices

Can you let me know how we should proceed to get a resolution?

2012-12-21 16.23.17.png

Journeyman

did a little bit more research.  After I had unchecked that box and then rechecked it, I rebooted phone, and everything has continue to work!  Maybe unchecking the box "reset" something, but uncertain what.  In past, when I would manually enter the DNS settings, if I rebooted phone, it would cause youtube to quit working, until I forgot network and re-added back in.

I will keep you posted. I will try my wife's Note2 when she gets home and see if it fixes the issue on hers as well as my sons.

Journeyman

CraigCraigBa,

That is great news and gives us solid ground to work on! Would you mind disconnecting from WiFi and reconnecting to it without changing any other settings you currently have? I want to see if this is a temporary fix or a solid one. Let me know!

*Ben

Social Care

Journeyman

still works even after disabling and re enabiling wireless.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I have an Airrave 2.5 device in my house.  I did receive it several weeks ago(it was a replacement for one of the older units I was having problems with as I have had an airrave here since they first came out years ago), but I just don't know for certain if this started rigtht after I received device or not....I know we had issues with text messages being sent to us at times, and had to reset the Airrave box as well as reprogram our phones with Sprint, and then text messages was working again.

Journeyman

CraigCraigBa,

That is really great to hear! Keep me in the loop on if this works for your family's devices.

*Ben

Social Care

Journeyman

grrrr...for some reason is not working on my wife's Note2....

Journeyman

CraigCraigBa,

Darn it! Lets try the IP block idea with it. I will send you a PM for the specifics.

*Ben

Social Care

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat