cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Tis the season to binge on the Pixi 7"! Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Are you a binge TV or movie watcher?

'Tis the season to start watching some new series, or to catch up on ones that you've missed.  Personally, I've been delinquent on keeping up with my shows, and I've actually stopped watching some shows on network TV that I really enjoyed.  Now is the time to catch up on it.  And what better way to do so than with my own personal screen that I can take anywhere!

When you consider binge watching, you have to give in to the idea that you will be wandering around your home in mismatched socks, old sweatpants, a t-shirt with at least ONE hole that you know about, and bad hair.  You will need some if not all of the following items, accounts, and accessories:

1 Pixi 7" tablet with a data plan

1 set of headphones (wireless or wired, in case you live with others)

1-3 Bluetooth audio speakers, preferably in different rooms

1-3 wall chargers, placed in the same room as the BT speakers

1 Netflix/Amazon Prime/Vudu/Hulu account with your favorite show(s)

1 box of microwave popcorn <OR> 1 large bag from the chip family

Dipping sauce if necessary

1 Wifi network (recommended, but not required)

Binge watching, by definition, is just uncontrolled, continual viewing of a show or shows that you have started to follow.  With that in mind, you'll need to consider that there may be people in your home that don't want to hear the dialogue from episode 42 of "Breaking Bad" at 1:30AM... thus, the headphones.  HOWEVER, if you are watching during the day when no one is home, or if you live alone, then fill the rooms with the sweet sounds of your show. 

The Pixi does just as well using Bluetooth or a wired headset.  I set my speakers to standby mode so when I wander from one room or floor to the other, I can easily go into the Bluetooth settings menu and select a new device.  I have a pair of Harman Kardon speakers as well as a JBL unit, and all three do well with "standing by", so long as they are plugged in and powered on.

Bluetooth can be a big drain on your battery.  Being connected and actively using Bluetooth accessories will have a significant impact on your battery consumption.  Additionally, video is a huge power hog.  As a matter of fact, my personal experience is that the screen on any tablet is THE BIGGEST power drain of anything that could be running on your tablet.  For this reason, it's important to have chargers in the rooms where you will be watching, because you?ll probably need to charge the Pixi at some point while you are watching.  The combination of Bluetooth and keeping the screen on for long periods of time will certainly drain your battery pretty quickly.

Finally, I try to stay on Wifi, especially while watching shows on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.  I don't know the exact consumption rate for data, but if I recall correctly, I think a movie on Netflix can use anywhere from 2-5GB's, depending on the length and resolution.  So watching 4 movies in a night, or one season of <insert your favorite show here> can completely drain a 20GB plan in a single day.  Make sure you make use of Wifi when it's available so you can use the cellular data when you really need it... like everywhere else you don't have Wifi (train, plane, carpool, grandma's house, your farm or mountain chalet, etc.).

One thing is certain - the Pixi 7" is the perfect form factor for that 2nd or 3rd screen.  It's mobile enough to transport or use in one hand, but big enough to use for screening media that is meant for "the big screen". 

D

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.