cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

For such a small tablet with moderate specifications, you'd think it would be hard to use.  I didn't have very high expectations when I unboxed it, with just a dual core processor at 1.2 ghz and only 4GB of onboard memory.  Well, I was surprised;  I've loaded it up with my typical applications and it's been cooking along just fine!

I use a tablet mainly for Scouting; keeping track of records, shooting photos of events, posting updates to the Troop website and facebook page, communicating with the parents etc.  Gmail, Google Drive, Facebook, Swiftkey and more all loaded up with a couple gig's to spare.  Yes, switching between apps or launching an app takes longer than the higher cost tablets, but it's entirely functional.  I've set up Google Photos to remove the photos I take from the device once they're uploaded over the Sprint LTE network to the cloud, which saves storage space.  I had enough space left over I handed it over for "testing" by my 9 year old and he loaded up a few of his favorite games.  We still have over a gig and a half of storage space left.

The camera is a shortcoming of the device. It's a fixed focus 5 megapixel unit, and it is reminiscent of the original feature phone cameras.  You can get a documentary photo, but it's not going to be print worthy.  Low light performance isn't there and it's not quick to launch.  But, that's a small drawback -- typically I'll use the DSLR or my Moto X Pure Edition for the shots I want to keep.

In the hand, the Pixi 7 is solid; the textured plastic back gives a great deal of confidence holding it and the smaller size than the 8" or 10" tablets make it more comfortable and portable to use at Scout meetings and campouts.  The screen works OK in daylight, but it's most effective indoors or at night.  You do have a  limited field of view on the screen; from the sides it washes out more than other tablets.  It's not an HD screen and the difference is noticeable when you're looking at photos or videos, but for data entry and communication it works just fine.

Out in the field, the network performance has been solid on the Sprint LTE network.   WiFi connectivity and performance are on par with any other Sprint device I've used; easy to pair to a new network and no lag or dropouts during data sessions.  I've been able to connect Skype voice calls and stream videos without problems.  Syncing data from Google Drive or uploading a scanned worksheet is quick and painless even in more rural areas.

The Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 7 is a completely functional tablet with some limitations.  But at the pricepoint, there's no complaints here.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee