cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alcatel ONETOUCH PIXI 7

0 Comments

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/110334-image/P1130315.JPG.jpg

(Picture taken from phonearena.com)

I have loved my time with the Alcatel One touch PIXI 7.  I rarely get a chance to use a tablet on the go but I have found the time with this tablet.  Not only is the connection fast the size of the tablet make it easy to travel with.  Here are some great uses I have found:

1.  Traveling into the city and using it as a GPS and hot spot finder.  If your in the city and you don't want to mess with your phone use it for  a walking guide.  It's good to have the screen size to read reviews on restaurants and track down how to get there.  The size can easily fit into your back pocket and carry along with you.

2.  Work on the go is another benefit.  If you have a tablet with connectivity everywhere it makes working on the go so much fun.  I love in Florida and able to go to the beach 90 percent of the year.  Having this easily carry-able tablet makes any work destination accessible.  Pair it with a blue tooth keyboard for an even easier way to work.

Here are just a couple examples why having a small tote-able tablet is a great benefit.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

20140226_17.pngOur Sprint Product Ambassador team received our Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 in November 2015. I have been using my Pixi 7 and comparing it with my other tablets during this time to see how it compares. One of things I have enjoyed about the Pixi 7 as I did with my LG G Pad is the size of the tablet makes it ideal for on the go for portability.

Like my LG G Pad, the Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 fits into my back pocket without a problem or my wife's purse to take it with us when we are out on the weekends running around town. The LTE connection is what really helps in town to look up sales, garage sales and other things while we are running around.

The Pixi 7 is great for kids too..... my daughter uses it to play games on Disney.com. When I get in from the office or when I am home on the weekends she ask if she can use my tablet to play games on the Disney site. I think that is one of the other reasons I like this tablet because my daughter enjoys this tablet over one of our other tablets we have for over a year with a 9.7 screen. The Pixi 7 is easier for her to hold and play the games on.

Here is a overview of the Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 hardware:

• Processor/Chipset: 1.1GHz quad-core processor / MSM8909 Chipset
  • Display: 7" 1024 x 600, TFT Display
  • Network: Sprint Spark / 4G LTE
  • Blue Tooth: 4.1
  • Frequency: 850/1900/2500 Mhz (LTE)
  • Dimensions: 7.44 inches x 4.37 inches x 0.36 inches (LxWxT)
  • Weight: 9.17 oz.
  • Battery: Standard Lithium (Li-Ion) 4000 mAh non removable
  • Connector Types: MicroUSB
  • Internal Memory: 8 GB ROM, 1 GB RAM, microSD slot for expandable storage up to 32 GB.
  • Camera:
    • Rear-facing 5-megapixel camera with auto focus
    • Highest resolution 2560 x 1920
    • Zoom
    • Front-facing 2-megapixel front-facing camera
    • No flash
  • Video: Highest resolution: 1080p @ 30 fps with Digital zoom
  • Accelerometer: The accelerometer automatically adjusts Web pages and photos to your perspective so you can view them in landscape or portrait mode.
    • Plus, for a more enjoyable viewing experience, you can watch videos in the wider landscape mode as well.
  • Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n: Wi-Fi provides wireless Internet access over distances of up to 300 feet (100 meters).
  • Multitasking: Listen to music while you send email, play games or surf the Web.
  • GPS Enabled / GPS Navigation: Supports location-enabled applications and services.

Another thing that I have liked about the Pixi 7 is the menu and settings options are real easy to use.I have another blog where I go into more detail on the user settings here Pixi 7 tablet user friendly Settings menu.

Screenshot_2015-12-11-17-44-00.png

Of course one of the first things I like to do when I have a new phone or tablet to review is to customize with wallpapers and apps. I review in more detail on how to update or change the wall paper in this blog How to change wallpaper on Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 tablet. I have always enjoyed Star Wars and I found a really kewl Stars Wars wallpaper from the new movie to use.

Screenshot_2015-12-11-17-57-59.png

The other thing I was impressed with about the Pixi 7 was my battery life. On multiple occasions I had gone more than a day without having to charge the tablet. I do turn airplane mode on and use Wi-Fi when it is available to cut down on my data usage. That has helped me make the battery last longer because I do not have apps updating or running data in the background all the time. Here is blog I posted on my battery life Battery Life & Storage on Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 7.

Screenshot_2015-11-23-09-20-58.png

I mentioned earlier that my daughter really loves this tablet so I plan on giving it to her to play her Disney games on. The interface is easy to use and she really enjoys it. The Pixi 7 has a microSD card slot and I have some of my daughters My Little Pony videos loaded for her to enjoy. The other reason I am giving her my Pixi 7 is because I need more onboard storage for my apps. The tablet is perfect for my daughter and others that do not need or use multiple applications. I have found it great for web based games and check on my social media sites like Facebook.

Visit a Sprint store and check out the Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 to see if it is the tablet for you, family member or friend...

Thanks,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Its been over a month and half since I got this device. There are things about it that I like and there are things about it that I don't like.

In the end, my approval of the device stems on the notion of, would I spend hard earned money on this device? Lets face it, all of these items are a luxury, we don't need tablets or smart phones. Do I want to spend money on this luxury that will only enhance my entertainment options? Tablets in my life are for entertainment, whether its to stream music while I work. My music of choice is either hardcore ganster rap or classical music. The other option for me is to watch movies or catch up on the latest tv shows.

Lets start with the price of the Pixi 7.

FREE, its free for existing Sprint customers who get a data plan along with it. You really cant beat the price of this device, the data plan allows someone like me to be able to download the latest comics to read while waiting for my kids at soccer practice or drama class.

It allows me to stream Amazon music which is included with your prime membership. I can watch my new favorite show Mozart in the Jungle on the Amazon instant video app.

The size of the tablet is perfect, I know I will sound like Glodilocks when I say this. Its not to big and not to small, its just the right size.

I really noticed how good the size was when I recently watched Interstellar on the Pixi, a movie which I originally thought should only be watched on a big screen. While I would be lying if I stated that it would be better on the tablet than on the big screen, the movie was more than fine.

I've only used headphone on the tablet and been very happy with the sound that the device produced.

My biggest con of this device is that it seems to attract finger prints to the screen. I've had to clean the screen with a cloth more with this device than any other.

Something about this device seems to attract smudge marks, its annoying but not a deal breaker.

IMAG0096_1.jpg

Thanks

Stanny George

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Are you a binge TV or movie watcher?

'Tis the season to start watching some new series, or to catch up on ones that you've missed.  Personally, I've been delinquent on keeping up with my shows, and I've actually stopped watching some shows on network TV that I really enjoyed.  Now is the time to catch up on it.  And what better way to do so than with my own personal screen that I can take anywhere!

When you consider binge watching, you have to give in to the idea that you will be wandering around your home in mismatched socks, old sweatpants, a t-shirt with at least ONE hole that you know about, and bad hair.  You will need some if not all of the following items, accounts, and accessories:

1 Pixi 7" tablet with a data plan

1 set of headphones (wireless or wired, in case you live with others)

1-3 Bluetooth audio speakers, preferably in different rooms

1-3 wall chargers, placed in the same room as the BT speakers

1 Netflix/Amazon Prime/Vudu/Hulu account with your favorite show(s)

1 box of microwave popcorn <OR> 1 large bag from the chip family

Dipping sauce if necessary

1 Wifi network (recommended, but not required)

Binge watching, by definition, is just uncontrolled, continual viewing of a show or shows that you have started to follow.  With that in mind, you'll need to consider that there may be people in your home that don't want to hear the dialogue from episode 42 of "Breaking Bad" at 1:30AM... thus, the headphones.  HOWEVER, if you are watching during the day when no one is home, or if you live alone, then fill the rooms with the sweet sounds of your show. 

The Pixi does just as well using Bluetooth or a wired headset.  I set my speakers to standby mode so when I wander from one room or floor to the other, I can easily go into the Bluetooth settings menu and select a new device.  I have a pair of Harman Kardon speakers as well as a JBL unit, and all three do well with "standing by", so long as they are plugged in and powered on.

Bluetooth can be a big drain on your battery.  Being connected and actively using Bluetooth accessories will have a significant impact on your battery consumption.  Additionally, video is a huge power hog.  As a matter of fact, my personal experience is that the screen on any tablet is THE BIGGEST power drain of anything that could be running on your tablet.  For this reason, it's important to have chargers in the rooms where you will be watching, because you?ll probably need to charge the Pixi at some point while you are watching.  The combination of Bluetooth and keeping the screen on for long periods of time will certainly drain your battery pretty quickly.

Finally, I try to stay on Wifi, especially while watching shows on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.  I don't know the exact consumption rate for data, but if I recall correctly, I think a movie on Netflix can use anywhere from 2-5GB's, depending on the length and resolution.  So watching 4 movies in a night, or one season of <insert your favorite show here> can completely drain a 20GB plan in a single day.  Make sure you make use of Wifi when it's available so you can use the cellular data when you really need it... like everywhere else you don't have Wifi (train, plane, carpool, grandma's house, your farm or mountain chalet, etc.).

One thing is certain - the Pixi 7" is the perfect form factor for that 2nd or 3rd screen.  It's mobile enough to transport or use in one hand, but big enough to use for screening media that is meant for "the big screen". 

D

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/phones/45580-xlarge/Alcatel-OneTouch-PIXI-7.jpg

Picture taken from phonearena,com

My family and I recently got back from traveling to Tennessee for the holidays.  Whenever travel comes up it's good to have a GPS in mind.  With the advances in phone GPS through apps there is no need to own a Garmin or TomTom.  So traveling up there instead of diminishing my phone battery I thought we would try the tablet.  Here was my setup:

1 Note 5 streaming Pandora through Bluetooth

1 Pixi 7 as GPS

No chargers in place

I wanted to test out the battery life if one was being used to stream and the other for GPS.  We ended up having to plug my phone in about 4 hours into the drive.  The tablet last about 5 hours into the drive before needing a charge.  Needless to say the Pixi was the perfect road companion getting us up there.  Now the drive back was a different story.  No complaints for the tablet in fact it was the hero.

We left TN coming back at 3 in the morning.  We hit Atlanta at 6 and immediately immersed in traffic.  This was largely due to road construction mixed in with a light drizzle.  This delayed us about 45 minutes.  Then driving again for about 3 hours we found our selves in a stand still.  Using Waze on the tablet I was able to find an alternate route and cut across the state versus continuing in stand still traffic.  Now your probably saying "this could have been done on your phone".  I agree but I would have the area to work with to find an alternate path, plus I was jamming while in traffic.  So the moral of the story is if you want to take a road trip and need a GPS but don't want to use your phone.  The Pixi 7 is the perfect companion for directions!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Live music is a big part of my life, I love being able to go to concerts. Sadly, some of the great and iconic concerts are a thing of the past.

Being 35 years old puts me out of the age range of many of the artist out there today. I have no desire to see the latest Wiz Khalifa or Justin Beiber concert.

However, the ones that I would want to see are a thing of the past.

Do you want to see Queen when they were at the height of their power?

Do you want to see Freddy Mercury who I think is the greatest front man of all time?

Want to see when Jimmy Hendrix performed All along the watch tower?

Want to see when the Wu-tang Clan opened for Rage against the Machine (I was there live)

If your answer is a resounding yes, then Qello is the app for you.

https://qello.com/

Qello.png

Qello allows you to stream concerts, and music docs and related movies all in High Def.

Qello's concerts vary from long-form concerts, and behind the scenes footage and interviews from labels both small and large.

I installed the app on my Alcatel Pixie and have been running it for a week now.

Qello gives you a week to decide if you want to pay for the service or not.

The price point of 8 bucks a month is great if your a lover of good music.

Because of this app, I was able to introduce my daughter to Queen, I feel that it is my duty to be a good dad and make sure good music is injected into her life.

Thanks

Stanny George

1 Comment

pixi7.png

The Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 7 tablet is a nice economical tablet good for web surfing, social media sites, games and watching movies while on the go or relaxing at night. The last couple of nights I find myself using my Pixi 7 for looking things up on Craigslist or checking what is happening on Facebook. I have even watched a couple of shows like Flash and Into the Bad Lands on this table. One day I noticed my battery looked low and it was around 38% and thought okay time to connect it to the charge. Before doing so I thought I would take a peek at how long I have gone without a charge...

2 days.PNG

That is when I noticed my Pixi 7 had not been on the charger for about 2 days. I am lucky to get a whole day on one of my phones and my Pixi has gone two days plus... The bar graph indicated I had 2 days left, although I did not want to take that chance and connected it anyways. During those days I had played Game of War, surfed the web and watched a few TV shows. I had to check to see what the battery stats are for this tablet and it has a standard Lithium (Li-Ion) 4000 mAh non removable battery. While the 7" 1024 x 600, TFT display does not provide the same quality picture on it as my premium Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" tablet, it does keep the battery from draining quickly.

SD card.PNG

One thing I learned quickly about my Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 7 tablet was the lack of on-board storage available. With only 8 GB of RAM and OS taking majority of that, there is very little storage available for apps and other things. The Pixi 7 does come with a microSD card slot that supports up to 32GB microSD card. I installed a Samsung 64GB EVO microSD card since I had one in hand already. The card is a Class 10 and will provide more than enough storage for pictures, music and movies....

Now to sum everything up.... the Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 7 tablet has done really well managing the battery while I have been using it the last couple of months. I do not know how often I am able to hit 2 days on a charge, although it is nice when I do. I do recommend adding a microSD card if you want to store things on it. Pixi 7 is okay without one for social media and web surfing, anything else or a lot of apps I would pick up a microSD card.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and check out the Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 7 tablet at a Sprint store near you!

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

pixi-8-product-page-4-20140611190326.jpg

(Picture taken from alcatelonetouch.com)

My perfect TV companion is the Alcatel ONETOUCH PIXI 7.  Firstly it all started on a Sunday much like the normal Sunday.  I was watching football and was faced with the horrible commercial.  Wanting to switch between games quickly I frantically searched for the remote.  Somehow without moving for the last hour I have lost the remote.  Watching the dreaded commercial and not able to switch to the next game had me in a 30 second frantic down spiral.  But low and behold I reach for the tablet I have been checking my fantasy football scores on all day.  Switch to the remote app and quickly was able to avoid the second commercial.  Using the multi-tasking app I was able to quickly switch back and check my scores.  Now I know it seems a bit dramatic but in my life when isn't their drama!

Another great feature on the tablet is the Miracast option.  This will allow you to quickly go from watching a video on YouTube to everyone watching a video on your TV.  It allows you to project on your TV what your watching on your tablet.  This comes handy in so many instances.  When is the last time you were watching a funny video on Facebook or YouTube and wanted to share it?  When is the last time you were watching sport replays and had to share it?  These are both cases where Mira cast can help/ save the day!!

I hope this short blog helped you unlock the full potential of your Pixi 7!

0 Comments

Apart from GPS, for me the camera is also my second most use function of my phone or tablet; and I guess it is the same for most users.  Therefore, I decided to do a few tests with the Pixi camera by comparing it with the HTC One A9 that I am currently using. All photo have been resized to fit this post to 1024 pixel maximum height/width (300 pixel/inch) using Adobe Photoshop. All photos have been captures using camera auto mode with focusing by tapping the area of the image I wanted to focus on.

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87906/pastedImage_0.p...IMG_20151220_173946x1024.jpgPixi 7

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87907/pastedImage_1.p...IMAG0176x1024.jpgHTC One A9

In normal light situation above the Pixi 7 color reproduction is less perfect and the resolution is low (full camera resolution is 2560x1920 pixels).

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87911/pastedImage_2.p...IMG_20151220_170219x1024.jpgPixi 7

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87912/pastedImage_3.p...IMAG0174x1024.jpgHTC One A9

Again from the two photos same can say about the Pixi 7.  Looks like the Pixi 7 has some issue with focusing too.

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87913/pastedImage_4.p...IMG_20151220_170317x1024.jpgPixi 7

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87914/pastedImage_5.p...IMAG0175 1024x.jpgHTC One A9

Under this mix of low and bright light, the Pixi 7 camera focusing performs even worse.

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87915/pastedImage_6.p...IMG_20151228_191303 1024x.jpgPixi 7

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-13418-87916/pastedImage_7.p...IMAG0193 1024x.jpgHTC One A9

The above is taken under extremely dark environment, where my usual model Bowie was sitting in the corner of his hideout.  Under this condition, we can say that the Pixi 7 does not function well.

As a conclusion, I feel the camera performance of the Pixi 7 is not up to the standard that I would like to use as a camera for me to record daily event.

Bye for now and Happy New Year. 

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

4 Comments

Hey everyone!

I recently took some time off of work during Christmas week to spend time with my family and get my last minute Christmas shopping completed.  My wife and I had to make our rounds to the grocery stores and a few other places for last minute items leading up to Christmas and we had our tag-along with us, my five-year-old daughter, Hallie.  Her sister was visiting her grandparents for much of the week, which made it a bit more convenient for my youngest to utilize the Pixi 7 (we all know how kids love to share).

The Pixi 7 is a great device for children both young and old.  My youngest is five, and she was able to pick up on the user interface quickly and navigate to what she wanted in virtually no time at all.  The size of the tablet makes it convenient for small hands and the battery life allows for extended entertainment away from home.  Plus, with Sprint's LTE network, watching videos while riding in the backseat or a shopping cart is a breeze!

Device Specs refresher:

• 4,000 mAh Lithium Ion battery
  • 7" WSVGA 1024 x 600 screen
  • 7.52" long x 4.33" wide x .40" thick
  • 10.55 oz weight, or .6 lbs
  • 8GB ROM / 1GB RAM w/ MicroSD Card support up to 32GB and a 1.1 GHz Quad-Core processor

First, the size of the tablet makes it convenient for small hands as I previously mentioned.  My youngest was able to hold the device easily and securely because of its size.  Additionally, the weight of the devices allows for it to be held for extended periods of time without much strain on little hands.  Next, the screen itself is perfect for a child because it allows for easy access to applications, videos, etc.  A 10" tablet is great, but for a child it can be overkill, thus the 7" screen is quite convenient (both for adults and children).  Additionally, the 4,000 mAh battery provided significant entertainment time while my wife and I were either on the road or in/out of stores.  I fully charged the tablet during the morning and my daughter used it for a total (combined time, not straight usage) of about 4 hours with seemingly little impact to battery life (it depleted to around 45 - 50%), which is far better than I had anticipated!  So, often times the bells and whistles on tablets are nice, but they deplete the battery quickly.  Thus, a tablet of this caliber is perfect for taking on the road or to the store to keep your children entertained! Finally, the processor allowed for zero lag when switching between apps or playing games that are fairly graphic intensive such as those listed below:

Recommended games/apps for children on this tablet:

• Doc McStuffins Mobile Clinic (Disney)
  • Miles from Tomorrowland (Disney)
  • Amazon Prime Instant Video
  • Amazon Underground (FREE Paid apps w/ FREE in-app purchases or add-ons -- this varies by app!!)
  • Netflix
  • Please note that Sprint is not making any endorsements for the above applications or the respective owners. These are applications suggested based on user experience by the author.  Use of these applications is at the sole discretion of the user.

I am quickly finding this tablet to be a great addition to my family for both myself and my children.  When the kids want to watch something while I'm playing a video game or doing something else, we have this as a backup.  When we are out running errands that take up a good chunk of a day, we have this as an entertainment source.  When the kids want to listen to music while reading, we have this as a portable stereo.  The Alcatel ONETOUCH Pixi 7 is a fantastic device that easily integrates itself into your everyday life!  Although the holiday gift-giving extravaganza is behind us (yes, it's okay to let out a sigh of relief), it is not too late to head to a Sprint store or www.sprint.com to add one (or more) Pixi 7 to your account!  More details on the Pixi 7 can be found by clicking HERE

Here are some photos of my youngest having fun using the tablet:

20151221_121600_resized.jpg

20151221_130043_resized.jpg

Until next time!

-- Troy

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

OK, I’ll be the first to admit how I can be a total wreck when organizing my apps (on whatever devices I use).  However after many years, and lots of trial and error, I think I may have finally found a near perfect system for keeping organized.  All this is thanks to my lil’ Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7, and I now I think I’ve finally went from “controlled chaos” to “streamlined”.

First off, let it be known I’m not always quick to adopt change but at least I’m always very observant. When I got my Pixi 7, I immediately noticed that all my Google apps were grouped together and placed by into one neat folder of the home screen.  Now, it never really dawned on me being such a good idea (at the time).  I seldom use most of the Google apps so for me the folder was only keeping things out of the way.   I must have passed over this folder for days and days before it occurred to me… Why not use folders for everything!?  Sheesh, so simple and yet eluded me for so long.  Now I have everything in folders.  After all, it saves real estate, it saves time and it saves aggravation.  What would normally require a swipe left or swipe right now puts everything in one neat compact area of the home screen.

No1.jpg

Here’s how to do it:

On your home screen tap one icon and move it directly on top of another icon.  Those icons will then be merged and named “Folder” by default. Tap that “Folder” icon and tap “Folder” name to rename to whatever you want.  It’s that easy.  You can group as few or many icons you want here.  As a general rule, I tend to group like apps together.  “Social Media”, “Steaming Media” and other groups are all over my screen but you could go as crazy or reserved as you want with this organization (There are no rules).  With folders, one touch expands the window and shows the icons within the folder.  For example, when I tap my “Home Monitoring” screen it shows “Foscam”, “Dropcam” and “Nest” all within quick reach.

No2.jpg

What used to occupy multiple screens before now fits on the bottom half of my home screen (What a space savings).  I was so thrilled and had so much empty space that I figured, Why not add some widgets? I like the default Weather Widget and Google Search Bar  so I left them (Those are default on the Pixi).  However, I really love the Amazon Music Widget so that was added in between.  SO FUNCTIONAL NOW!  All you have to do it tap to hold on a vacant part of the screen and choose the “Widgets” icon in the center.  Note this also is a shortcut for your “Wallpapers” and “Settings” screens as well. 

No3.jpg

With just a few short minutes I think I saved me countless time hunting for icons.  This Pixi never looked better.  See what you can achieve on your Pixi and then adopt that design to your phone.  You’ll be happy you did.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

1 Comment

Onetouch Pixi 7 - No Interruptions

Have you picked up your tablet started to browse or maybe read a book or even play a game and your notifications starts to go off breaking your concentration? What about at night you just finished reading something while in bed and you put your tablet down on the nightstand, you are about to fall asleep to only be jostled awake by a notification on your tablet? What if I tell you there is a option to eliminate these interruptions and only allow them to occur at a time of your choosing or better yet only allow those notifications that are most important be allowed. With the Pixi 7 and Android there is such an option to setup. 

Introducing the Interruptions option. To access this option go to settings, sounds and notifications section and select Interruptions. While in this section you will see a list options. In the top left hand corner here is how you can control what happens when a notification comes in.  Here you can set the notifications to not disturb you at all by selecting "Don't Interrupt". The other options include always interrupt which is the preset configuration, or choose allow only priority interruptions. Priority interruptions includes those options below this section that are enabled. In this case "Event and Reminders" is activated but you could also enable Messages as well.

Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-37-16.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-37-21.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-37-26.png

When selecting don't interrupt or priority only options you are given a choice to choose how long you do not want to be interrupted for. Standard setting is indefinite, but you can choose anywhere from 15 minutes all the way to 8 hours. This is a great option for when you are in meetings and don't want to shut off notifications the entire day but only for a specific time period.

Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-37-30.png

As an added bonus when activating the messages option under priority options you have the additional option to choose whom you would like to receive messages from. Basic setup is to receive messages from anyone. This can be changed to only receive messages from users listed in your contacts only. Better yet you can slim this down to only allow users selected as your favorites in your contacts book. This way if you are in a meeting and have enable only allow priority interruptions and then messages comes in you know it is from one of your favorites and can assume it could be important.

Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-37-43.png

My favorite option to enable in this section has to be the "Downtime" feature. This option allows you to eliminate notifications during a specific time period say when you are sleeping. Simply click on the days heading and choose the days you want to setup downtime for. Me I set mine for everyday of the week. Next select the start time you want downtime to begin. It is auto set to start at 10:00 PM. this is perfect. Next choose when you want down time to end. Again this is auto set to 7:00 AM. This will also work for me. The final piece is to either keep the priority options as the only allowed notification or simply select "Interruptions Allowed" and check the “None” option. This will completely shut down all notifications during this time period.

Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-37-57.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-38-14.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-38-24.png

Once all configured the way you like simply exit this configuration section and you are all done. Go enjoy your time with no more interruptions.

Disclaimer:
The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

The best and most used applications on my phones, tablets have been GPS related: Google navigation, My Track (for my bike riding tracking activities) or traveling.  So I have the habit of checking out GPS performance on any smart phones or tablets that I getting my hands on.  The Alcatel Pixi 7 is no exception.

Must be the Alcatel radio knowledge, I have been so surprised on how good the GPS performance of this device.  When I first opened the box, took it outside I got GPS fixed (locked) in no time. Loaded the GPS Test app from Google Play, Sometime I can see GPS Fixed shown in a matter of one second:

Screenshot_2015-12-20-16-21-01.png

Screenshot_2015-12-20-16-21-23.png

I rarely see a 1sec First Fix time from my smart phones.

The high sensitive GPS together with the Sprint 4G LTE that I have on the tablet will provide me with a good navigation device.  I am looking for a good tablet car mount which will set me good for this summer traveling.

I have a 20GB/month plan with this tablet, so hopefully map downloading would not be an issue for me.  But for others who may have lower limit data plan, Google maps allow you to pre-download map areas on your tablet (search for google map offline), this potentially can reduce your data usage.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

The Alcatel onetouch Pixi 7 came with Adroid Lolipop (5.1.1). One disappointing thing I found is the limited language support on the device.

I cannot find Vietnamese in the list of language support:

Screenshot_2015-12-18-20-06-00.png

Screenshot_2015-12-18-20-09-18.png

Furthermore, the keyboard itself does not support dual language.:

Screenshot_2015-12-18-20-03-41.png

Click on the Google keyboar (English US) cannot find dual language.

Screenshot_2015-12-18-20-04-08.png

Searching the web, some suggests to download a Vietnamese keyboard program, but do you really want to install a keyboard program from an external source?

Hope this will be fixed.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

0 Comments

How appropriate it is to be able to unbox the PixiE at this time of the year.

It is a small footprint 7? tablet from Alcatel with full sprint LTE 4G radio on it.

IMAG0030_1.jpg

The device is very well made.  Plastic but with a good solid feel.  Being a 7? devide, it fits nicely in my hand (I have small hands).  This makes it a very good ?kindle? alternative.  Together with Full Sprint LTE access, I can imagine there are a lot of things I can do with this device while being away from my desk or home.

Briefly looking at the specification below:

pixi-spec.png

1. The tablet is equipped with a very good processor 1.1GHz Qualcomm quad-core CPU.  This should be more than adequate to handle all our normal processing task
  2. One thing I really like is the external SDcard slot, this will augment the small 8GB ROM that comes with the table.
  3. 4000mAh battery, this should cover a good day usage without charging
  4. And best of all Sprint LTE access.  Although this does not support Sprint Plus (Sprint?s carrier aggregation) but should be very good for most use.

Personally, I feel the 7? footprint is good for ebook reading.  Easily for me to hold in one hand.  My favorite table is still my Samsung Note 8.0, but that is a bit to hold in one hand reading in bed at night.

The tablet is slightly thicker than my note 8.0 but because of the curved back it does not feel that bad in my hand.

IMAG0170.jpg

The screen is bright and of course at 1024 pixel resolution you do not expect super sharp image, but everything is pretty clear.

Overall, I think it is a reasonable deal for Sprint 0$ down, 10$/month for this table, if the use is for social networking, ebook reading, web browsing from anywhere (no WiFi dependency).  

I will report more after more use and get more experience of the tablet.

Bye for now. 

Hung Bui

0 Comments

How appropriate it is to be able to unbox the PixiE at this time of the year.

It is a small footprint 7” tablet from Alcatel with full sprint LTE 4G radio on it.

The device is very well made.  Plastic but with a good solid feel.  Being a 7” devide, it fits nicely in my hand (I have small hands).  This makes it a very good “kindle” alternative.  Together with Full Sprint LTE access, I can imagine there are a lot of things I can do with this device while being away from my desk or home.

Briefly looking at the specification below:

1. The tablet is equipped with a very good processor 1.1GHz Qualcomm quad-core CPU.  This should be more than adequate to handle all our normal processing task
  2. One thing I really like is the external SDcard slot, this will augment the small 8GB ROM that comes with the table.
  3. 4000mAh battery, this should cover a good day usage without charging
  4. And best of all Sprint LTE access.  Although this does not support Sprint Plus (Sprint’s carrier aggregation) but should be very good for most use.

Personally, I feel the 7” footprint is good for ebook reading.  Easily for me to hold in one hand.  My favorite table is still my Samsung Note 8.0, but that is a bit to hold in one hand reading in bed at night.

The tablet is slightly thicker than my note 8.0 but because of the curved back it does not feel that bad in my hand.

The screen is bright and of course at 1024 pixel resolution you do not expect super sharp image, but everything is pretty clear.

Overall, I think it is a reasonable deal for Sprint 0$ down, 10$/month for this table, if the use is for social networking, ebook reading, web browsing from anywhere (no WiFi dependency).  

I will report more after more use and get more experience of the tablet.

Bye for now. 

Hung Bui

0 Comments

20140226_17.png

The Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 has one of the easiest Settings menu I have seen in awhile even with Android? Lollipop 5.0.2. One thing that can more frustrating than anything is a device with a very complicated settings menu. Plus the Pixi 7 tablet comes with a 7" TFT (1024x600) 169 ppi 16m color display and 8GB ROM internal memory + 1GB RAM. The end user storage after OS and everything is around 4GB with a microSD slot expandable up to 32GB.

Screenshot_2015-12-11-17-44-00.png

Some OEMs have a heavy to light overlay to the settings menu making it hard to find what you want. Alcatel made the settings menu very easy to navigate and find the things you need when you need it. As you can see from the screenshot above, the settings menu is very simple and do not have to keep scrolling like you  with other tablets and phones setting menu. One of the first settings I had to adjust on my Pixi 7 was the display brightness.

Screenshot_2015-12-11-17-44-26.pngScreenshot_2015-12-11-17-44-55.png

I have my brightness turned down to about halfway so that when I play games or watch a video the screen is not over saturated and appear washed out. This adjustment is easy to do from the pull down menu by dragging the brightness slider left or right to your preference. There is one other setting I adjusted for the display that needs to be adjusted through the settings menu.

Screenshot_2015-12-18-16-09-23.png

One additional setting I had adjusted was turning off Adaptive brightness under Display settings from the main Settings menu. I opted not to leave Adaptive Brightness on because it took away from my personal preference on how I use my Pixi 7 tablet for games and surfing online. I wanted to share these settings/adjustments with others for their Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 or for someone that would like to visit a Sprint store near them to check out the Pixi 7 tablet.

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

http://m.phonegg.com/49/4992_t.jpg

Image taken from phonegg.com

When I first unboxed the Pixi I was pleasantly surprised with the durability.  I will be honest and was worried a little bit when I read it was a plastic body and it is.  But, it's a firm and strong plastic.  The back of the tablet has a sort of pattern to it that increases the hold and ability to grip the tablet.  The screen uses all on screen buttons instead of having a hard button that are familiar on Samsung tablets.

With this being a lower tier model of tablet I agree this is a great buy for the buck.  With a pixel display of 1024x600 it is quite pleasing.  A decent sized battery at 2820 mAh will last you for a bit.  Using this device on cellular signal accompanied by the small 7 inch form factor of the tablet makes it the ultimate traveling partner.

So let's face facts:

Can this be compared to a higher tablet made by Samsung or LG or Apple...No

Does it compare to tablets at its price point...YES

Is it a good buy at its price point...YES

What are some of the best uses for this tablet?

As stated before due to its size and ability to travel well I see it being used in the following factors:

Vacation traveling

GPS

Kids Tablet for fun

Kids School Tablet

I hope this helps decide if this is the tablet for you.

0 Comments

For such a small tablet with moderate specifications, you'd think it would be hard to use.  I didn't have very high expectations when I unboxed it, with just a dual core processor at 1.2 ghz and only 4GB of onboard memory.  Well, I was surprised;  I've loaded it up with my typical applications and it's been cooking along just fine!

I use a tablet mainly for Scouting; keeping track of records, shooting photos of events, posting updates to the Troop website and facebook page, communicating with the parents etc.  Gmail, Google Drive, Facebook, Swiftkey and more all loaded up with a couple gig's to spare.  Yes, switching between apps or launching an app takes longer than the higher cost tablets, but it's entirely functional.  I've set up Google Photos to remove the photos I take from the device once they're uploaded over the Sprint LTE network to the cloud, which saves storage space.  I had enough space left over I handed it over for "testing" by my 9 year old and he loaded up a few of his favorite games.  We still have over a gig and a half of storage space left.

The camera is a shortcoming of the device. It's a fixed focus 5 megapixel unit, and it is reminiscent of the original feature phone cameras.  You can get a documentary photo, but it's not going to be print worthy.  Low light performance isn't there and it's not quick to launch.  But, that's a small drawback -- typically I'll use the DSLR or my Moto X Pure Edition for the shots I want to keep.

In the hand, the Pixi 7 is solid; the textured plastic back gives a great deal of confidence holding it and the smaller size than the 8" or 10" tablets make it more comfortable and portable to use at Scout meetings and campouts.  The screen works OK in daylight, but it's most effective indoors or at night.  You do have a  limited field of view on the screen; from the sides it washes out more than other tablets.  It's not an HD screen and the difference is noticeable when you're looking at photos or videos, but for data entry and communication it works just fine.

Out in the field, the network performance has been solid on the Sprint LTE network.   WiFi connectivity and performance are on par with any other Sprint device I've used; easy to pair to a new network and no lag or dropouts during data sessions.  I've been able to connect Skype voice calls and stream videos without problems.  Syncing data from Google Drive or uploading a scanned worksheet is quick and painless even in more rural areas.

The Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 7 is a completely functional tablet with some limitations.  But at the pricepoint, there's no complaints here.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Hey Everyone!

The Alactel ONETOUCH Pixi 7 is small, portable and convenient.  It's so convenient, you're likely to take it everywhere with you.  Remembering to adjust your sound profiles, whether or not you want data to sync on the Sprint network, etc. is not something we always think about.  Depending on the plan you have on your Pixi 7, you may want to limit some data usage so that you do not eat through your data while on the go.  Or, perhaps you might be heading to work or to appointments where you wouldn't want your tablet to ring during the dead silence.  -- I once worked for someone who would make you sing "I'm a little teacup" in front of the group if you were the culprit who left your phone/tablet off of vibrate/silent; The good news here is that if you have a manager like this, you can avoid it with a few clicks on your Pixi 7!

What are system profiles?

System profiles allow you to set up specific events to occur on your device based on various trigger.  For example, once you connect to a certain WiFi network, you can ensure your sound settings are placed at your desired level.  Alternatively, you could set up the tablet to disable background syncing once you disconnect from a specific WiFi network.  The point of these system profiles is to make your life just a little bit more convenient.

Accessing System profiles:

• Access your system profile by navigating to your device's system settings (You can pull down the notification try and click the gear in the upper right)
  • Scroll to System Profiles
  • Screenshot_2015-12-15-09-50-40.png
  • Once you've clicked on System Profiles, you'll see a list of any available profiles.  Additionally, you can create one from here:
  • Screenshot_2015-12-15-09-50-47.png
  • Clicking on a gear to the right of a profile will allow you to edit it; clicking the plus button in the lower-left will allow you to add a new profile.
  • Let's add a new profile!
  • You can add a trigger using WiFi or Bluetooth
  • If you select WiFi, you will see the network you're connected to
  • Tapping on it will present a message to determine if you want the profile to run when you connect or disconnect to that particular network
  • Screenshot_2015-12-15-09-43-53.png
  • The next screen determines if you want to utilize the current settings (custom settings) to configure this particular profile.  I selected NO, as I wanted to create an entirely new profile based on that setup.
  • Screenshot_2015-12-15-09-44-12.png
  • Once you select yes/no, you can customize other auto-functions when you disconnect from the WiFi network selected.
  • Within the Profile Setup, you can adjust numerous features including volume levels for media (games, music, videos), notifications volume (email, Facebook Notifications, Twitter, etc.), Enable/disable data sync, enable/disable mobile data, turn on WiFi hotspot, etc.
  • Make sure you click the default name to adjust to what you want it to say, the default is <new profile>
  • After all settings have been adjusted, click Finish
  • You have successfully configured a device profile!

Why would I want to use System Profiles?

The system profiles are convenient because it allows you to use your tablet how you want to use it.  Want to enable Mobile Hotspot every time you disconnect from your home WiFi network for others to enjoy?  Done.  Want to turn off mobile data or data sync in the background when you leave a WiFi network?  Done.  Want to ensure all your volume settings are set to zero once you connect to "Work_WiFi_Network?"  Done.

Keep in mind that the possibilities are slightly limited with the profile settings.  There are apps and other functions available externally from the tablet that allow you to do other automatic tasks such as turning on WiFi when you enter a specific area of your neighborhood, muting your phone when you arrive to work (non-WiFi dependent), or turning off mobile data and/or WiFi when your battery is low.  IFTTT (If This, Then That), is a fun way to customize your life based on how/where/when you use your devices.  If the built-in System Profiles doesn't cut it for you, then perhaps IFTTT will (Search in the Play Store as well as www.ifttt.com).

Thanks for reading!

-- Troy

0 Comments

Capture.PNGWhen I first opened the box and picked up the Pixi my first impressions was the weight and feel of the device it is very solid. I have had a few tablets that are very light and cheap feeling.  This is not the same for the Pixi, The 7 inch screen has a resolution of 1024X600 great for watching TV shows or movies.  My favorite part of any LTE tablet is you’re not locked into Wi-Fi that means you can take it anywhere and watch anything you want.   Currently my kids love watching AFV this app is great for family friendly videos with hours and hours of hilarious content.  A surprising feature is the 4000 mAh battery it actually last much longer than other tablets I have owned that have bigger battery’s. There are many great features on this tablet below list all of the features. 

pixi7.png

Specs

Operating system

Android 5.1 Lollipop

Battery information

4000 mAh Lithium Ion Battery

Display

7" WSVGA 1024 x 600

Memory

8GB ROM / 1GB RAM *MicroSD card slot supports up to 32GB

Processor

1. 1.1 GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm® Smapdragon™ processor

Weight

1. 10.55 oz

Bluetooth profiles

"4.1 A2DP, AVRCP, OPP, FTP, PBAP "

Dimensions:

Thickness: 10.1mm (.39 in)

Length: 191 mm (7.51 in)

Width: 110 mm (4.30 in)

Weight: 299g (10.5oz)

Thanks for reading!

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

0 Comments

Display Settings with the Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So I always love exploring how certain configuration settings differ between devices.  The Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7 running a slim version of Android is certainly no exception.  For those of you not wanting to go through a series of testing, here are a few neat customizations you can do to give your Pixi 7 a little personality.

Display Settings:

Display.jpg

Brightness Level: This setting is pretty self-explanatory.  It can pretty much be set to taste, where I favor it about ¾ up.

Adaptive Brightness: If battery life is a big concern, you might consider using this but it will always override your preferred brightness level.  I think this is set on by default and I always set this off. Again a matter of taste.

Wallpaper: this allows you to set a background image where all your icons will respectfully sit on top of.  You can use an array of stock images and backgrounds or any photo that you choose. A word to the wise, although your favorite family portrait might make you smile, it's not always functional as a background image.  I tend to favor the stock backgrounds for contrast and functionality.  The Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7 also includes 5 stock Live Wallpapers that are all pretty visually stunning while retaining their functionality.  I think "Black Hole" is my favorite of the ones offered and certainly makes the device stand out when showing my Pixi 7 off to friends and family.

Live.jpg

Sleep: By default this setting is 1 min, which will certainly insure a good battery life but I tend to like to give a little wiggle room beyond that.  Again, all a matter of taste but I always found 5 mins to be a good balance between power saving and convenience.

Daydream: Gives you options to control what (if any) visualizations are showing when the device is charging and not in use.  My default this is "off" and I tend to like that best.  If you need a night light, big sized clock or want your Pixi to double as digital picture frame, explore some of the settings to give yourself some added functionality (even when your Pixi is not in use).

Font Size: Especially since this device falls somewhere between the size of a small tablet and large smartphone, you may want to explore different font sizes for readability sake.  Even though I've been told I'm slightly near-sighted I find the "Large" setting is most comfortable (for me).  Although "Small" and "Normal" size are both equally readable. An important note: This is pretty much is limited to system fonts and not necessarily applies to particular apps or web pages. If added zoom is needed, you'll need to check out "Magnification Gestures" or "Large Text", both found under the "Accessibility" section of "Settings".

When The Device Is Rotated: Here you can lock the screen so it always displays in portrait or allow it to toggle between portrait and landscape depending on which way the screen is being held.

Blur Effect: I think this one is pretty unique but this gives you a bit of an effect on two separate dialog boxes and your lock screen.  I think it looks neat and I have all of these checked but again that is a matter of taste.  See the pictures below of an idea of how they look with or without.

Without Blur EffectWith Blur Effect
Vol.jpgVolBlur.jpg

**Additional Display Settings under Settings: "Accessibility"

Access.jpg

Besides the additional magnification settings mentioned earlier there are two more Display settings that can be adjusted in the Accessibility menu of settings.  Honestly however, I would probably avoid both of these as they don't appear very usable for most general use. 

Color Inversion: This setting does exactly what it says and sets all screens within all apps as a color (and black and white) negative.  I really found no practical us for this but it's nice to know this is there especially if it accidentally gets set. 

Color Correction: This setting gives you three pre-set tweaks to the color.  Unfortunately none of the three give you any real usable color temperatures and only flatten the color out significantly.  Still it's good to know this menu exists in case it accidentally gets set.

So in conclusion, you do have a few great ways to liven up your display (and a few others, not so functional).  You should be aware of all these to keep your display happy or just in case something looks off. Another tip: Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7 can easily capture a screen-shot by holding the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously.  Have fun exploring and finding your ideal display setting.  Check next week for more great features of this exciting new tablet.

-Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

ALCATEL-PIXI-3-7-web5.png

Capture.PNG

I received my Alcatel Onetouch Pixi the week of Thanksgiving and been using it ever since. One of the first things I always do is make it mine by adding my own Home wallpaper. I have always been a fan of Star Wars so I went with that seeing how I grew up on Star Wars from the 70's and a new movie coming out soon.

Screenshot_2015-12-11-17-57-59.png

Not all devices settings are the same depending on the OEM so I wanted to take the time to show how easy it is to change the wallpaper on the Pixi 7. The hardest part sometimes is deciding what image to use. There are several default images to use although why not personalize it and use a image to make it yours. Alcatel made the Pixi 7 navigation very easy as seen in the screen shots provided below. One thing I download on all my devices is ES File Explorer because it helps me locate my downloads and screenshots faster.

Wallpaper.PNG

Take a picture, save an image from the Web or create your own image through editing tools and save it on your Pixi 7. Once the picture has been saved go to Settings> Display> Gallery to see if the image is located in your Gallery and select it. I downloaded the Star Wars image from online site and it was saved to my download folder. This is where I used ES File Explorer to locate my picture under downloads since it was not in my Gallery. Generally I use a picture I have taken of my daughters playing as my wallpaper except this time I tried something different.

The Pixi 7 has been very handy to look things up online while on the go. Visit a Sprint store or shop for one on Sprint.com today.

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Onetouch Pixi 7 - Set Cellular Data Limits

Sprint offers amazing plans when it comes to tablets. Plans range from the basic 1 Gigabyte all the way to 40 Gigabytes. While having a plan and access from away from WiFi is awesome users need to be mindful of just how much bandwidth can be used. Just doing simple things we have been accustom to doing on our phones and even in our homes can eat up wireless plans fast.

Did you know that watching 1 hour of Netflix at its lowest quality will cost you 310 megabytes or 0.3 gigabytes. Stream something in HD and you are looking at 2.3 gigabytes per hour. Stream a TV show through Hulu and it will run you 650 megabytes or 0.65 gigabytes per hour. On Amazon video uses about 850-900 megabytes or 0.85-0.9 gigabytes of Internet data per hour. Streaming along can eat into your monthly allowance of wireless access fast. One way to compensate your use is by setting data limits. These will help save you in the long run.

On the Pixi 7 users will start by accessing the settings menu either by double swiping down and selecting the cog wheel in the top right corner. You can also just select the Application button in the bottom middle and then scroll till you see the setting application and click it. While in the setting application you will select under the section wireless & networks "Data Usage".

Screenshot_2015-12-11-08-59-55.png

Once in the Data Usage section the cellular data radial should be on to allow visibility to the data limit and data warning options. If off please slide the radial on. This will turn on your wireless service to start using the Sprint data network. Once on you will see 2 options grayed out "set cellular data limit" and "set mobile data warning" that if they are off now need to be turned on as well. When turning you will receive the follow warnings.

Screenshot_2015-12-11-09-47-36.png

When both radials are in the on position a graph will appear with two horizontal lines. One line is for the data warning the other is for the data cap you will be creating. Slide the data cap to be at least 10 percent below your full data plan max. If you have a 1 gigabyte plan set your data limit to 900 megabytes and set the warning to maybe 25 percent or 750 megabytes.

Screenshot_2015-12-11-09-00-07.png

Once you hit these marks you can determine how next to use your tablet and know that you will soon be out of bytes to use. Ways to save on usage over the wireless would be to offset this use by using mainly Wifi connections. This will help ease the need for using the wireless data until necessary. Remember while data plans are great it is up to you the end user on how you will use the data given to you. Be cautious and know your limits

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

Onetouch Pixi 7 - What To Use My Tablet For

pixi 7.jpg

So you may now own this tablet or wondering why I even need a tablet in the first place. Tablets are the in between devices they are not as small as your phone but are not yet big enough to be considered a laptop/PC. They fill the gap for those users that just wants something a little bigger than their cell phones. They offer the same flexibility as a cell phone giving users the similar experience. 

Take for instance you come home from work you are tired maybe relaxing by the TV or in bed. You do not want to haul out your laptop to look up something and your eyes are just too tired to look at your phones display. Grab your tablet. This device is the perfect size and does not weigh that much more than your phone but gives you that better experience you want. So what do you actually use the tablet for?

I use my tablet for many things. Here are a list of what you could be using it for:

Sending and receiving emails. I use the NEW google INBOX application for my email. it allows easy grouping of messages into categories that allow faster manipulation of deleting and organizing. 

images.jpg

Browsing the web. I use the Chrome browser. This has been my go to web browser for all my devices and with googles sync option it allows me to sync all my devices together so when I search or view something on one device I can pick up another and see the same thing to continue reading or reviewing.

chrome.jpg

Playing games. Just like your phone the tablet will have access to the same application store and therefore all the plethora of games available. Now the Pixi 7 has limited storage but they make up for it giving a nice strong processor that still allow you the full ability to pretty much play any game available. Me I'm using clash of clans and yes I still fall back to my favorite minion rush.

clans.jpg minion.jpg

Watching catch-up TV or Movies. This is where I think a tablet shines. It is a great tool for watching online programming. Access Netflix, Amazon Vids, Hulu, even access TV shows through CBS, NBC,ABC, etc. websites and watch and catch up on your favorite shows. It is even better if you have a Chromecast then you can throw whatever you are watching on your tablet screen on to your big TV. 

hulu.jpg netflix.png amazon.jpg

Reading books, newspapers and magazines.  This is where I use my tablet. I love picking it up and opening up one of my books to read. I use Overdrive which is an application that ties directly with local libraries to borrow digital content for reading. for daily news I use a combination of applications like flipbook, the guardian, Huffington Post, and even NPR News.

the guardian.png huff.jpg npr.jpg

Making voice/video calls. Here is where this is pretty awesome. So you think your limited on reach-ability through these devices because they are a tablet. Think again. You can use Google Hangouts as a main contact for reaching. With Hangouts you can IM people, you can make phone calls (yes real phone calls). You can call both on WFi and on the Sprint data network when no WiFi is available. You can even make video calls to another person should you call them and they are on Hangouts as well.

Google-Hangout.jpg

The tablet is a glorious device and meets that much need in between feel from a phone and a laptop. It gives the users a full experience with no limitation by allowing both communication and entertainment options to still be available. Once you have a tablet you will wonder why you never had one before. The Pixi 7 is this such device. It fills a void that which I did not even know I had until I got one.

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

The Pixi 7 is so light weight and fits in my back pocket making very portable.

I think the LTE works great in this device so convenient not to be anchored to Wi-Fi...

true mobile computing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and the consistence when I put it to the test.

YodaCatch-hd.jpg

It works so well in fact I was thinking of witty things Yoda would say about “the Force”.

I was an hour and 15 min from home and had a conference call,

I had already installed Lync (which downloaded quickly)

and was ready to see how well it truly worked

I had only used the LTE at home and at the office and was impressed by the speed and consistency.

So I put in a headset and started my truck and left the office.

I traveled all the way across a major city and into the country and didn’t lose the data connection at all.

The sound quality was great with no buffering or breakup.

Netflix streaming over LTE works great to I was surprised the video quality was great over LTE.

Plus the screen is bigger than my phone but fits perfectly in the console

I did catch myself streaming Netflix while waiting to pick kids up from soccer practice.

speaker.jpg

I actually had to turn the sound down its pretty loud for how little it is.

I was surprised I didn’t need headphones and could hear clearly

and was loud enough to enjoy the show!

I was streaming when I was washing dishes and laid it backside down and

was so surprised by the base that produced by that little speaker you can see how small the slit is in the picture above.

The video and sound quality are good for this entry level device

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

1 Comment

Maximizing Storage Space on the Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So one small challenge I had using the Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7 was fitting all my crucially needed apps into 4GB internal storage (with a reasonable amount of headroom left over). If you have started to any noticeable performance issues and noticed your available storage at an all-time low, there’s hope.

First of all, since the Alcatel One Touch Pixi 7 has a nice easy to access MicroSD slot, there is no reason not to be using some external storage.  Whatever you can get should be just fine.  Micro SD cards and so inexpensive now.  Make sure to save all your pictures, videos and music there and there alone.  On apps like Amazon Music, I would strongly encourage “streaming only” or immediately move downloads over to the SD on your own (Since Amazon Music doesn’t give you options to save right to the SD).

Secondly, under Settings/Storage/Apps (app data & media content) - carefully look at your apps, paying close attention to the size.  You are going to find several trivial apps that maybe you don’t need so badly (and should be uninstalled). 

Finally, some apps listed cannot be uninstalled and many of those can often be the highest consumers of space.  In those cases, I would recommend “Force Stop” then “Uninstall Updates” and finally “Disable”.  You will see a message discouraging you to do so and I urge you really consider carefully which ones you disable but I have had some great success freeing up space by doing so.

Some of the largest consumers to look at:

Facebook - I’m sad to say Facebook when fully loaded is huge compared to the space you have available. If you don’t use this at all (like myself), this one should be a no-brainer.  If you are only a light user, I might choose the web version and still disable the app. 

Google+ - Well, since I don’t use Facebook this one was an even easier decision.  Again, really a matter of taste but if you aren’t using it, it might be a good idea to put it on a shelf.

Google Hangouts & Messenger - I really don’t text from my tablet so I opted to disable these too. It’s a matter of taste but I’d rather utilize the space elsewhere.

Prior to my intervention, I barely had 100K of available space to work with (even with my SD card) but after disabling and removing some things I now have 1.28GB which makes my Pixi much happier.

If storage is my only concern, I still say the Pixi rocks.  The processor is swift all my apps work great and with a little management I have all space needed for what I need.

Logo.jpg

-Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

I wasn’t sure what to expect as I impatiently waited for the Pixi 7to arrive.

I knew that it was a mid-range device and had a 7 in screen.

I have a larger tablet that I love because it’s smaller than my computer but bigger than my phone.

HTC iPad PixiJPG.JPG

So I was excited when I got it out of the box and it was smaller than my tablet and bigger than my phone.

The size seems just right and what I like most is it fits in my back pocket. That is really what makes it a

practical device for me you can actually bring it with you and use it on the go!

I was surprised by how light the Pixi 7 is, which

makes holding it at a viewing angle for an extended period of time no problem or no hand cramp.

pixi hand netflix.jpg

I’m a binge-watcher... so light weight and being able to hold in one hand

makes it a pretty good user experience for me. I actually watched a show for about

3 hours and was pretty impressed the display quality seemed great and I was using

Sprint LTE data connection and there wasn’t any buffering or lock ups.

I was pretty amazed because even my fast cable connection at home buffers once in a while

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

Pixi 7 - Initial Thoughts

140528-pixi-7-category-page.jpg

When I was first presented the option to try this device out I was skeptical as to the functionality of it. Now that I have one in my hands it's become my go to device for use. This device is a 7.5" X 4.3" size with a screen size of 7". It boasts a triple-core 1.2 Ghz processor, 4GB of storage with optional MicroSD card slot, Bluetooth 4.0, Wifi b/g/n, and a 2840 mAh battery.

pixi7.png

The device is centered on being a well-rounded player for an entry level tablet. I compare this tablet to Amazons basic 7" kindle fire tablet. More on this later.  It handles very well. Streaming is a breeze, connectivity is flawless. Users will be impressed by the slim size of the device. It will fit in your hand nicely but not add any bulkiness to cause issues. Though one handed operations are not conducive with this size.

pixi7-product-page-7.jpg

One of the most impressive things so far is the battery. This device holds its power for a long time. I have on occasion just left it by my couch and not pick it up for a day or 2. Then eventually I would grab it and it would show battery levels approximate 8 days left. I have streamed multiple movies, listened to music and still have juice to browse check email and even text (yes text, with google hangouts).

Never estimate the power of a little device as this one can still give you the ability to play some of the high end games with full graphics and motion. No lagging is seen yet. Though I have noticed if you are running too many applications and hogging the limited 500 Mb memory you could start to get a little slow. Simple enough close those application not needed and be on your merry way.

pixi7-product-page-2-20140611190634.jpg

The Pixi 7 in my eyes is a device given to those whom will be basic users and not heavy players. It will give you the feel of comfort to have an easy device with a nice size screen to view content. Though don't expect too much from this little sprite of device. It can easily be a go to device for anyone or a primary device for even your little ones. But even the adults would not shy away from giving this little guy a try.

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

Hey everyone!

I'm back with another tablet, just in time for the holidays!  This time, I will be writing posts about the Alcatel ONETOUCH Pixi 7 Tablet offered by Sprint.  Sprint is offering it for FREE at this time (subject to change, 2 year service agreement required) to qualifying current customers and accounts (new line and upgrades are eligible).  Additionally, you'll receive 12 months free tablet service with it!  What more could you ask for?  Again, this is subject to change and is while supplies last.  Visit your local Sprint Store for details.  Find your store HERE.

What is the ONETOUCH Pixi 7:

The ALCATEL ONETOUCH PIXI? 7 is everything you could want in a tablet, plus more. With the spacious 7-inch display and 4G LTE compatibility, you can watch, play and work like never before. The 5 MP rear-facing camera and 2 MP front-facing camera give you the power to capture all of your favorite moments. Equipped with a sleek, lightweight design and apps you'll love, the ALCATEL ONETOUCH PIXI? 7 gives you a best-in-class experience without the price. (Source: Sprint)

Key Features:

• Android 5.1 Lollipop
  • 4,000 mAh Lithium Ion battery
  • 7" WSVGA screen
  • 8GB ROM/1GB RAM (Ability to expand external memory to 32GB w/ MicroSD Card)
  • 1.1 GHz Quad-Core processor
  • 10.55 oz weight
  • Sprint 4G LTE connectivity (non-3G)
  • 5MP rear camera; 2 MP front-facing (selfie) camera

First impressions:

I recently reviewed the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" tablet, which is more of a premium experience.  The Pixi 7 is more of an entry-level device with less bells and whistles to worry about, especially if this is your first tablet.  The Pixi 7 is simple, intuitive, fun, and perfectly-sized.  Although the device is slightly heavier than the Tab S2 was, it is still not too heavy that it becomes an issue.  The screen is bright, the icons are crisp, and the device responds quickly to my use.  I like this tablet so far, and I can imagine how well it will fit into your life just as it does mine. 

Some example uses for this tablet where it will come in handy due to size and battery life:

• In the kitchen for recipes or to catch up on Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu while cooking/entertaining
  • Children -- in the car, at the doctor's office, during busy holiday shopping, etc.
  • As a Kindle alternative (you can download/use Amazon's FREE Kindle app on the device with ease)
  • There are numerous other scenarios where this tablet will be useful/convenient

Overall, I am quite impressed with this tablet considering its size and limited features (as compared to Tab S2).  I am looking forward to testing the tablet out in greater detail and write about my experiences in the coming weeks.

If you're curious, I've created an Unboxing Video that you can watch below!  Head to your local Sprint Store today to see if you qualify for the FREE tablet promotion, and if you don't, the price is still competitive at $29.99 w/2 year service agreement!  This device will make a great holiday gift for someone on your list!

Keep an eye out for my future posts on this device!  You can follow me thorough Sprint Communities by clicking on my profile above (under the title of this blog post) and clicking "Track in Communications."  Additionally, you can follow me on Twitter (@TroyGlidden).  As always, thanks for reading!

-- Troy