cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alcatel Ride-Fi - Hello Hotspot - Sprint Product Ambassador

Sprint Product Ambassador

Alcatel Ride-Fi - Hello Hotspot

20160222_074704.jpg

Sprint has just released the NEW Alcatel Ride-Fi. It is a portable wireless hotspot made for vehicle use. If you have a family and do some traveling then this device will be perfect for you. In today's world most kids have tablets. Well I know my kids do. They take them everywhere we go. Its good entertainment when driving somewhere.  At home where we have WiFi my kids like to stream YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Shows. But until now my kids would play local games while in the car. With the Alacatel Ride-Fi I can now give my kids that additional benefit of streaming and watching shows.

The Ride-Fi device is the length of a pen roughly 4 inches. It is a lighter adapter friendly device with swivel base to allow optional setup. On the face of the device it has a WiFi and a Network Signal Strength icon. On one side is the power button and optional USB port. The back panel can be removed revealing the Sprint SIM card and initial password for connecting to the HotSpot for configuration.

20160222_073310.jpg

20160222_074531.jpg 20160222_074600.jpg

When I took this device out of the box I was able to activate it smoothly through the Sprint online chat service. Once activated I had to now set it up. Well the only way it appeared at first to set it up was through my car (Obviously, cause it only has a vehicle lighter connection). I have found after writing this that there is an optional ability to set the device up using a Male to Male USB cable connecting to a power adapter or even PC. If you are like me you may not have this type of cable so I will advise how I did the setup.

I took the device to my car and plugged it in. Per the instructions manual I held the power button for 2 seconds turning the unit on. The device lit up and immediate it appeared to start connecting to the network and creating a WiFi signal for me to connect to. The Wifi Name seen will either be listed as AlcatelWifiA-xxxxx or SprintWifiA-xxxxx. The Hotspot is ready to go there is no configuration really needed but it is best to make changes to secure your network just like you should do in your home. This device can handle up to 8 simultaneous connections. If you are not ready to make these change and just want to get up and going just click on the Wifi Settings on your mobile device and connect to the network name listed above and enter the password. The initial Wifi password will be listed on the back side of the device under the cover. It is listed next to the word "KEY". Once enter you will be connected to the device and will be ready to start streaming and enjoying the service.

20160222_100225.jpg

I was able to get some decent download speeds when testing the throughput on my wireless connection. Now this will vary depending on location and tower use but I feel very satisfied with my initial and immediate connection. I look forward to further testing and reviewing this product. Look for my next blog regarding the configurations and advanced settings guide for setting and configuring the Ride-Fi Device. As always drive safe and use the device accordingly.

Screenshot_2016-02-21-15-38-29.png

Disclaimer:
  The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee