cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi

0 Comments

Although the AlcaTel onetouch rideFi is not equipped with the Sprint LTE Plus (Carrier Aggregation) feature, I found that the rideFi provides adequate speed for my need around my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (Wi-Fi version).

I have actually used the rideFi in my office to stream the NCAA basketball tournament, like I previously posted. Also to uses the tablet as a turn-by-turn navigation device.  In average I get the following speed:

Screenshot_2016-02-22-18-31-05.png

Like I have mentioned in a previous post.  My home cable service was down for a period of two days and I have used this rideFi device to provide Internet service inside the house for that period.

One advantage of the rideFi is its tri-band function: 800MHz, 1900MHz and 2.5GHz LTE bands. Sprint provides LTE services on the above three bands.  Sprint has a large holding of 2.5GHz spectrum.  However, 2,5GHz would have low propagation hence cannot penetrate in-building and reach as far as the lower frequencies.

At the basement of my house, I used to get very poor signal quality.  Recently, Sprint added the 800MHz LTE service near my home.  I am now able to get LTE service in the basement of the home.  During the cable service outage, I actually get to use the rideFi in the basement and obtained the following speed:

Screenshot_2016-03-12-21-01-47.png

It is not in the super duper high speed range, but was enough for me to do most of the things I wanted to do on my tablet, including watching YouTube video.

So I have to remind myself, don’t leave home without the rideFi.

Bye for now

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

composition-1.pngSprint launched the ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? available in February 2016 for 24 monthly installments at $7 a month, pay $168 full price or subsidize it with 2 year agreement with $0 charge. What sets this mobile hot spot device away from others is no cords required. The ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? plugs in to your vehicle's 12v power socket or cigarette lighter for power and has a USB 2.0 plugin available.

Long trips will run down the battery of other mobile hot spots and require the addition of another cable and plug in option in order to maintain power for your Wi-Fi connection. This is where the unique feature of the ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? using DC port to keep it powered up till the end of your trip. Plus, the Ride-Fi? can be powered up with the use of a USB 2.0 A Male to A Male Cable plugged into PC, Portable Charger or other source that can power 2.0 USB devices.

I have used my ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? in my truck driving around town, home plugged into my laptop, at the office through a USB hub and my HTC Andru Android USB Charger that can be carried around to make my Ride-Fi portable to other places.

20160420_170612.jpg

The ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? includes Wi-Fi strength indicator with a couple of different colors for Network depending on your Network connection. The user guide provide more details on LED colors.

Specifications

• The Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi (Y856UB) is a hinged mobile hotspot made especially for use in a vehicle.
  • Dimensions: 5.37 x1.34  X .47
  • Weight: 1.83 Ounces
  • Power: Via the 12V DC cigarette lighter power input only.
  • Chipset: Qualcomm MDM9625+ AR6004
  • Processor: ARM Cortex-A5 1GHz
  • Operating System: Linux 3.4
  • Memory: 512 MB RAM/ 256 MB ROM
  • LED Indicator
  • Web based end-user configuration app
  • iPhone/Android end-user application
  • Wi-Fi:2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and MIMO 2X2; a/b/g/n
    • Connects up to 8 devices (Smartphones, tablets, laptops, e-readers, printers, portable gaming consoles, and more...)
  • Security Modes: WEP-64/WEP-128/WPA2-Personal, but don't support WPA2-Enterprise.

Capture.PNG

I have found ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? come in handy during stormy weather when I lost my ISP services due to the storm. I plugged my Ride-Fi into my laptop and was able to stream weather reports and use my other Wi-Fi devices to weather out the storm. My wife has enjoyed the Wi-Fi connection on her tablet while we are driving around in town....

The Ride-Fi? has so many uses and allows you to save your battery on your phones hot spot for when you may really need it battery power for other uses. Check out the ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? to make your car a mobile hotspot!

Thanks,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

One Last Look At the Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi – Sprint Product Ambassadors

So again I say it’s truly liberating being able to cruise around town with the Sprint network at arm’s reach.  Of the many options for cellular hot spots, you’ll be pressed to find a more discrete unit than the Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi and thus my favorite one so far.  Unlike the majority of others, the Ride-Fi is designed to live in your car, it’s small and tidy with no battery to maintain, no wires, no clutter and even fits on some of those hidden areas where they put 12V power outlets.

In the few weeks I’ve rode with the Ride-Fi, I’ve found all kinds of interesting applications. First of all it’s a tablet’s best friend and makes your co-pilot a real wi-fi connected mastermind.  It keeps your kids entertained and extends a lifeline to all kinds of devices that thrive on wi-fi connectivity.  I can only imagine this is the direction things will go and it’s reassuring to know such a small device can be implemented in cars both old and new.

I love the way the Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi is just as customizable as your home router. If you are into control, the Ride-Fi has all the GUI interface configurations to make you feel empowered.  You also can utilize an app to further assist your control and extend connectivity even when a laptop isn’t readily available.

All and all Ride-Fi is a small powerhouse that fits in any jacket pocket.  Perfect for road trips and perfect for your daily commute.

IMG_20160217_115227.jpg

Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

ride-fi-image.gifLOGO_ALCATEL_ONETOUCH_NEW-300x91.png

Living in rural Oklahoma has advantages and  disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is I am limited to DSL and basic TV services. When storms come our home internet and sometimes TV goes out due to the weather. That means I am not able to keep track on where the storm is heading and my little ones entertainment are limited during a storm that has them scared.

USB cable A Male.jpgLast week I found another use for my ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? at home during stormy weather. Our internet went down for a couple of hours and TV was in and out. My daughters were getting scared and connected my Ride-Fi? to my laptop with the use of a-male to a-male USB cable. The cable and laptop provided the power I needed to use my Sprint ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? hotspot.

The a-male to a-male usb cable does not come with the Ride-Fi? so I picked one up on Amazon so that I can use my hotspot at home when needed.

The ALCATEL onetouch Ride-Fi? allows up to 8 devices to be connected at once and I had 4 devices connected during the storm.

• 2 phones - one for each of my daughters to watch their favorite videos during the storm
  • 1 for my wife's tablet for game she was playing
  • 1 phone for me to watch the weather on my news app....
    • Here are some screenshots of my HTC One A9 streaming news feed during the storm while connected to my Ride-Fi?

Screenshot_20160412-102739.pngScreenshot_20160412-102756.png

My note 5 had internet on it, although I was using my internet service on my active phone for streaming music....

Now that we are in storm season, I will be keeping my Ride-Fi? close by for the storms that are coming this weekend. I wish I had my Ride-Fi? during the winter when we lost power. I could have used it then also to keep up on the ice storm road conditions and other things going when my home internet provider was not available or TV.

Check out the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi? to make your car a mobile hotspot!

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

1 Comment

LOGO_ALCATEL_ONETOUCH_NEW-300x91.pngride-fi-image.gif

My data plan is limited and like to make sure I stay with in it. ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi™ app and web GUI both have ability to monitor data usage along with set max data allowed. I always set my limit with a buffer so I know to slow down my usage in case I get close to my data limit.

Web 3.png

Settings> Usage> Usage settings

I prefer adjusting my usage setting through the web portal as it is a lot easier. Usage settings are located under Settings tab and it is password protected. The drop provides option to select GB, KB or MB and then enter the data amount to limit. I use GB as it is easier and corresponds with data plan setup. There is an option to set day of the month your plan starts over. This is important setting for setting up data amount under Usage Settings. The day of the month your data plan starts over is the day to enter in this field.

Screenshot_2016-03-16-15-54-45.png

Home>Usage>Usage Settings

The ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi™ app has an option to set usage settings on it during setup, although I have found it hard to adjust or change past the initial setup of the app. The app only allows GB and MB options to be selected through settings. The part I have had problems with adjusting through the app is the actual amount if there is already a number entered. The ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi™ app does allow the ability to turn on the option to automatically connect even while roaming.

Check out the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi™ to make your car a mobile hotspot!

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Over Spring Break this year I had the pleasure of taking my family on a Snowboarding trip to Keystone Colorado and I?m happy to report that coverage from Denver up to and on the slopes is great.  If you live or vacation in Summit County Colorado the RideFi device will provide data connectivity in your vehicle that will afford you a quality experience.  We were able to view video content, listen to music streams, and browse the internet without delay.  I?m not a big fan of defaulting to the digital baby sitter for the kiddos but after 10 hours in the car a little relief was in order.  Tablets and other connected devices lit up and peace and quiet ensued.  Let? face it, you can only play the alphabet game or probe into your kid?s lives for so long.      The following speed readings provide a view of the connection quality we experienced from Denver into Summit County which provided a smooth data experience for all in the car.

Test 1.png

Test 2.png

One trip down and many more to come, the RideFi has been a great addition to an aging vehicle attempting to keep up with the times.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

(If photos appear compressed on a mobile device, please click the photo to open in a new tab/window for better viewing)

dr-nick.jpg

Hey again, everyone!

So you have your Acatel Ride-Fi Mobile Hotspot, and you’ve used it for streaming, gaming, email, Facebook and everything else you can think of.  But, do you know how much data you have used?  Well, let me help you keep track of your data usage on your Ride-Fi so that you can ensure you remain within your plan limits and prevent unnecessary overage charges!

The Ride-Fi data usage is easy to monitor, and you can monitor usage in at least three ways.  First, you can monitor usage on your Sprint.com account.  Second, you can monitor your usage through the Sprint Zone App on your device.  Finally, you can use the Alcatel Ride-Fi application as well!

Let’s look at how to monitor usage on Sprint.com. First, navigate to www.sprint.com and click the 'sign in' button to the left. Enter your username and password (or create an account) and it’ll take you to your landing page.

Sprint_Sign_in.png

Once you’re in your account, you may need to scroll down slightly until you see the Alcatel Ride-Fi device.  Click ‘See All Usage’ and it will take you to the usage screen for that device.  From there, you can see your total usage against your data allotment. 

Sprint_Landing.png

Detailed_usage.png

The other method you can use is the Sprint Zone application on your smartphone.  The Sprint Zone application comes pre-installed on all Android devices, with the exception of Nexus handsets.  You must manually install this application on iPhones, however.  You can download Sprint Zone via the App Store on your iPhone for no cost. 

Sprint_Zone_Image.png

Once you’ve set up or opened Sprint Zone, you’re taken to the landing page that displays your usage for your main line (or the phone you’re accessing Sprint Zone on).  If you’re signed into the account holder’s Sprint account, you can easily switch between devices on the account to monitor usage.  Simply click the ‘Details+’ button just above your usage.  This will allow you to select another device on the account, such as the Ride-Fi.  Once you’ve selected the Ride-Fi, you can easily see usage against your plan limit.

Sprint_Zone_Landing.pngSprint_Zone_Selection.png

Sprint_Zone_Detail.png

Finally, you can review usage and set usage alerts on the Alcatel Ride-Fi application!  Download the Ride-Fi application here. 

OneTouch_Logo.png

On your device, you’ll need to connect to your Ride-Fi first before opening the application.  Once you’ve connected and opened the application, you’ll see the landing page that displays the network type, the current data used for the session, the duration of that session, and the number of connected devices.

RideFi_App_Landing.png

Clicking on the ‘Usage’ button at the bottom allows you to see your usage on the Ride-Fi during the established billing cycle (you can change the setting for your billing cycle date).  It displays your Home usage (this is normal 3G/LTE usage) and any roaming usage (if roaming connection has been allowed in settings).  It’ll show you the duration, but it’s only for this current session and not a combination of time for all sessions, which is a bummer.

RideFi_Data_Page.png

Clicking on the three dots in the upper right allows you to access usage settings. Once you’ve clicked here, you can set the max data amount, when you choose to receive usage warnings, your cycle date and whether or not you want to allow roaming.  Please note that the ‘max data amount’ does not restrict data once you’ve reached this limit.  The limit is established by you and is only used for notifications against your limit. You can adjust the limit to any amount in MB or GB, and you can set a ‘Usage Warning’ when you are within XX MB or XX GB of your plan limit.  Once you approach the warning threshold that you’ve established, you will receive warnings in your notification tray to alert you of usage.

One thing to note here:  I believe I set my cycle date through the web-based admin portal at 192.168.128.1 when connected to the Ride-Fi and not through the application. I do not believe the application allows this change, which is unfortunate. 

RideFi_Usage_Settings.png

RideFi_Usage_Settings_2.pngRideFi_Notification_Tray_Alert.png

You now have three methods available to you to monitor and control you usage on your Alcatel Ride-Fi Mobile Hotspot!  Keeping track of your usage is important because it helps you limit any potential overages you might incur.  There are slight variances between Sprint.com and the Ride-Fi app, so please keep these in mind.  The data amounts listed in the Ride-Fi application are estimates and may vary from Sprint.com data.

I used my hotspot in my vehicle over the course of 12 hours of driving over Easter weekend.  My children streamed Netflix and played multiplayer games on their Nintendo 3DS devices, my wife utilized her Kindle tablet, and my device connected to it as well.  We also used it at our destination for a myriad of other data-related items.  Over the course of a weekend we utilized over 6 GB of data between four of us (3 Nintendo 3DS devices, 2 tablets, 2 laptops, and 2 phones).  Although it is not a significant amount of usage, it is still enough to eat up all data allowed in a plan, or even the majority of data in a plan.  Monitoring usage will keep you in the know about your data usage, and will allow you to reduce usage if necessary to remain within plan limits and prevent overages.

Bill.png

Interested in purchasing a Ride-Fi?  Head to your nearest Sprint store (locate one here) or go online to the Ride-Fi Product Page HERE

Disclaimers:

- Any mention of trademarks are property of their respective owners.  This blog is not sponsored, nor endorsed, by the trademark owners noted in the post. Any mention to a trademark owner is based on personal usage and not a professional relationship/endorsement/sponsorship.

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

As always, I thank you for reading!

~ Troy

0 Comments

Classic scenario:

1. Boy gets shiny new object
    2. Boy is easily excitable, inherently lazy and automatically bypasses the instructions for the shiny new object
    3. As you would guess Boy can't get said shiny new object to work
    4. Boy threw instructions on the floor where the dog leveraged as a chew toy

Fast forward several years and the boy is now a tech geek but is still easily excitable, inherently lazy, and Fido still loves eating manuals.  This time the shiny object of the day is Alcatel?s RideFi, a great plug and play device for the vehicle of your choice.  Classic scenario revisited:

1. Tech Geek unboxes RideFi unit
    2. Tech Geek is easily excitable, inherently lazy and automatically throws the device's box away.  (He has finally learned to not throw it on the ground where dog resides)
    3. Tech Geek lights the RideFi device up a few days later to try it out and said device doesn?t work because it is defaulted with password protection.
    4. Tech Geek is unable to find the box which provides the all important password.

So what do you do?   Alcatel wisely protected us from ourselves and placed the SSID and default password under the cover of the device.   Simply remove the cover, as pictured below, identify the ?Key? value and leverage it as the password.   Crisis diverted, an embarrassing conversation avoided, and internet connectivity achieved.  

Safety Net.png

Until Next Time:

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Powering Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi with USB Is Often A One Way Street – Sprint Product Ambassadors

As I mentioned in a previous blog, your Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi is designed to run on your car’s 12VDC power outlet.  It can also be powered via USB but, you’ll need to buy a separate Dual Type A Male Ended USB cable…

That got me thinking the other day.  Rather than buying another cable, what about all these extra (Type A Male to Type B Male USB) charging cables I have lying around.  Can I run power off another device?  Well, leave it to me to test things so you don’t need to Here’s my results.

First of all, to summarize things quickly.  Those mini USB cables just won’t work (but if you need a little more explanation, read on):

The first thing I was curious about was if I could power the Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi with a phone.  I mean a phone has a battery, it can power my micro USB Thumb drive easy enough. It should work right?  Well, I plugged in a standard charging cable, tried to Power on the Ride-Fi and no lights.  The second test I tried is connecting to my tablet.  Now my tablet is Dell Windows 10 and built more like a laptop.  The attached micro USB port is shown to be a bit more multi purposed than my phone but again no lights and no power. Finally I wanted to try a wildcard. So I pulled out my Technocel Portable Charger (Battery Boost).  This has both USB Male A and USB Male B outlets built right into the unit. Generally you would plug the Type A end into a charger (PC or other power source) and then (when needed), you could power on and plug the Type B into your phone to give you some extra emergency juice.  Does it work in reverse?  Nope.

Now, I’m a little put off at this point and questioning the pin out of my cable so I did a little investigation:

On a Standard USB A Male to USB A Male Cable you have 5VDC Power is on Pin 1 and Ground is Pin 4 (this is identical on both sides).  On a Standard USB A Male to USB B Male Cable it’s a little different.  First of all the USB B side has 5 pins to the USB A’s 4 pins.  On both sides the 5VDC Power is on Pin 1.  USB B has ground on Pin 5 which is also shorted to Pin 4. Now this is where things get really technical:  As a standard charging cable is an OTG (On-The-Go) USB cable.  To quickly define and OTG cable is designed to have a inherit host and peripheral relationship. The cable and device attached govern the direction of power.  Cell Phones and Tablets are considered OTG-B devices.  OTG-B devices are considered to be “Power Consumers” and hence no power will be passed back. 

OTG.jpg

See the image below of my cell phone below.  Measured right off the USB port with a stripped out USB B Male plug you get only 4/1000 of a volt, which will clearly not power anything.

Doing my part and saving you time.  Want USB power?  Buy your Dual Type A Male Ended USB cable at your favorite online retailer and plug into any changer, laptop or standard USB device.  No OTG in that application.

Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

front-angled-right_landscap.pngThe ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi? is a nice portable LTE hotspot for your car or truck. I am able to connect upto 8 devices to my Ride-Fi and control who is connecting to it through a web browser or use ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi? app from Google Play Store.

I use the app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 when I am in my truck running around town so that my wife is able to use her tablet and other devices. My girls are able connect their devices in the truck also to play games and watch videos. Main screen of the Ride-Fi provides general information from number of devices to how long it has been connected. In addition, the app allows me to to see how many devices are connected along with how much data is being consumed. Ride-Fi app provides the ability to set max data limits and data limit warning through the Usage> Settings option.... There are various other settings and options available through the app for when you are on the go that are very useful and handy.

Screenshot_2016-03-07-13-45-11.pngScreenshot_2016-03-16-15-54-40.pngScreenshot_2016-03-16-15-54-45.png

ALCATEL ONETOUCH also provides a web browser GUI for managing Ride-Fi?. The web GUI is easy to use and less clicks compared to the app. I use the web GUI when I have the Ride-Fi? connected to my laptop with a USB cable (not provided). I found that using A to A (male to male) USB cable I am able to connect to my laptop and use my Ride-Fi? at home or the office. This is where the web browser GUI comes in handy to check my data usage from streaming music or movies from Google Play and Spotify on my tablet or other devices that requires a Wi-Fi connection.

Web 1.pngWeb 3.pngWeb 4.png

Both options used to manage Ride-Fi? are easy to use and very similar in looks. I do like using the browser option over the app mainly because I have a larger screen to view everything on through my laptop.

Check out the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Ride-Fi? to make your car a mobile hotspot!

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Note: If you're an iOS user, please see my other post on Managing the Ride-Fi with the iOS app. 

Are you are an Android user and have purchased the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device? If so, did you know that you can easily setup and manage your Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device via your Android device? Simply install onetouch Ride-Fi by Alcatel ONETOUCH on your Android device.

The onetouch Ride-Fi app is the official Android app to manage your Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device. With this app, you are able to do the following?

• Setup the Alcatel Ride-Fi device
  • Monitor usage data usage
  • Monitor network connection
  • Monitor who is connected to your the Ride-Fi
  • Control who connects to the hotspot
  • Configure Wi-Fi settings
  • Configure SSID
  • Configure password
  • And more

This app makes it very convenient to set up and manage your Ride-Fi device. Most likely you will be using it in your vehicle, and managing the Ride-Fi with your Android just makes it all the more simple.

Below are a few screenshots I snapped on my Android while using the app and the Ride-Fi.

Screenshot_20160323-210747.pngScreenshot_20160323-211036.pngScreenshot_20160323-211044.png

Screenshot_20160323-211052.pngScreenshot_20160323-211109.png

Screenshot_20160323-211118.pngScreenshot_20160323-211126.png

I encourage you to give it a try. Also, if you haven't purchased a hotspot yet and are in need of in-vehicle 4G LTE Wi-Fi connectivity, I suggest you check out the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi, available at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors #alcatel #onetouch #ridefi

0 Comments

Are you are an iPhone or iPad user and have purchased the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device? If so, did you know that you can easily setup and manage your Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device via your iPhone or iPad? Simply install ONETOUCH Ride-Fi by Mydoors Studio on your iOS device.

The ONETOUCH Ride-Fi app by Mydoors Studio is the official iOS app to manage your Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device. With this app, you are able to do the following…

• Setup the Alcatel Ride-Fi device
  • Monitor usage data usage
  • Monitor network connection
  • Monitor who is connected to your the Ride-Fi
  • Control who connects to the hotspot
  • Configure Wi-Fi settings
  • Configure SSID
  • Configure password
  • And more

This app makes it very convenient to set up and manage your Ride-Fi device. Most likely you will be using it in your vehicle, and managing the Ride-Fi with your iPhone or iPad just makes it all the more simple.

Below are a few screenshots I snapped on my iPhone while using the app and the Ride-Fi.

IMG_2218.pngIMG_2212.pngIMG_2217.png

I encourage you to give it a try. Also, if you haven’t purchased a hotspot yet and are in need of in-vehicle 4G LTE Wi-Fi connectivity, I suggest you check out the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi, available at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors #alcatel #onetouch #ridefi

0 Comments

So you get this sweet Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device and now your vehicle is lit up with Wi-Fi via Sprint 4G LTE, since the device plugs into your DC socket. What a great convenience to have, right? gal_463x407_2.jpg

However, what about when you’re not in your vehicle? Let’s say you’re on a road trip, you reach your destination, and still need to access your hotspot. What should you do? Do you…

1. Access public Wi-Fi which is not secure
  2. Sit in your vehicle in the parking lot connected to your Ride-Fi hotspot plugged into the DC outlet, when you should be inside instead
  3. Use a male to male USB 2.0 cable to connect your Ride-Fi to a USB charger

If you answered c, great job!  Yes, you CAN use your Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi device indoors. You simply need a male to male USB 2.0 cable, as well as a USB 2.0 charger. Chances are, if you have a smartphone, you have a USB 2.0 charger. I personally have like 50 of these around my house. ha

maletomaleusb.jpg

If you don’t have a male to male USB 2.0 cable, they are very affordable and can be purchased from Amazon, Monoprice, Walmart, Newegg, Best Buy, B&H Photo, and more.

When you connect your Ride-Fi to the USB 2.0 cable plugged into the USB 2.0 charger, you then will have a Sprint 4G LTE hotspot via your Ride-Fi device. The Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi will allow for 8 Wi-Fi devices to connect to the internet using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Something to note.. the device does need to be plugged in at all times for use, and does not have a battery.

If you’re in need of in-vehicle or just a portable hotspot with 4G LTE Wi-Fi connectivity, I suggest you check out the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi, available at Sprint.

0 Comments

Last week was the start of the March Madness season and I could do no better with leveraging the rideFi hotspot to stream the NCAA games at work and while riding in the car.

I have the Samsung Note 8.0 WiFi only tablet which I use most of the time for my personal use outside work.  The Note 8.0 gives me the flexibility of watching/reading anything anywhere around the house.  With the rideFi hotspot I can now watch my favorite sporting events while waiting for my wife shopping in the car, or during time like March Madness I can comfortable stream the games without using the work IP network for my heavy private use.

So the setup is I set up the rideFi either in the car:

20160317_175944.jpg

(Note, I would prefer not to have to plug the unit in the cigarette lighter as the unit is way down to the floor which may not be good for the reception.  In this case, I get decent signal from the device, good enough to stream the NCAA game).

Or at work:

20160223_095607.jpg

In order to watch the NCAA game, I use the NCAA March Madness app by Turner on the Google Play:

Screenshot_2016-03-23-17-05-04.png

The rideFi allows me to stream the game pretty flawlessly at my work desk or in the car:

20160317_154429.jpg

20160317_180227.jpg

The following screens can give you some ideas on the GBs that I use for almost 4:20 hours of NCAA streaming: 2.8GB which is not too bad.

Screenshot_2016-03-17-13-04-46.png

Screenshot_2016-03-17-17-21-49.png

I thoroughly enjoy the use of the rideFi that helps me being aware of what is going on with March Madness while at work and in the vehicle.  Very useful indeed!

Bye for now

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Pretty much every mobile Hot Spot has a router that is used to connect several devices at a time to the modem or the mobile broadband connection called a router. That said, the "router" function has many settings, some are pretty straight forward and others, not so much. So I decided to go over some of these settings for the Ride-Fi.

First thing you need to do is to log in to the Web user settings. Once you are connected to the WiFi of this device, you can either type the IP address which is http://192.168.128.1 or http://myhotspot in your browser. In my experience, the IP works better. When you type that, you will end up on the page looking like below

MainPage.jpg

In order to get into the advanced settings, you should click Login and type in your password. The default password is "password" without the ""

After you log in, you will see the basic WiFi settings. This is where you enter your SSID if you want to change it, change your password, add a guest WiFi. This is not so advanced yet. Lets move on.

WiFi Basic.jpg

In the advanced panel, you will see settings like 802.11 Mode, frequency etc. For the most part, you won't need to change anything. However in some instances you may need to change these settings. The 802.11 Mode is where you can restrict the WiFi standard between B, G and N. Now if you don't know what those are, that's OK, a simple Google search will fix it. But why would you do that? Some older devices do not work well in N mode. So you can limit it to G and reduce the frequency bandwidth to 20 MHz. Also depending on your situation, you may want to move away from Auto and choose a static channel to reduce interference from other WiFi routers. Don't fret, you wont have that in a moving car

WiFi Advanced.jpg

On to Mobile settings. You would leave everything to default here too but depending on your situation, you may want to change the Technology mode. Default is using the Tri-Mode option where the device will try to switch between 4G (LTE) and 3G (CDMA+EVDO) as coverage changes. If you are confident that you have excellent LTE coverage, feel free to try out your device with just LTE only mode. Roaming is just another coverage setting. Automatic allows the device to switch between Sprint's network and its roaming partners. However if you limit the technology mode to LTE only, you may not be able to roam that much.

Mobile Settings.jpg

In the Mobile Advanced menu, you can do some more damage I mean some more changes. Mainly, you can update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) or the Data Profile of the device. You could also perform a Factory Reset but you will need a 6 digit unique code for your device. That code is not easy to get and is not on the box. You should only use options on this menu IF you are having problems.

Mobile Advanced.jpg

Under LAN Settings, you can adjust the device's IP settings, from starting DHCP range, Manual Mode for DNS (which means you choose your own DNS server rather than the network provided one), or changing the device's own IP address from the default 192.168.128.1 to anything you like. Be careful here, you could make it difficult for yourself to log back in by changing these settings.

LAN Settings.jpg

Finally, under Firewall settings, you could change how you want to protect users on the device. By default the basic firewall rules are enabled, but you could turn them off if you were having issues with specific types of sites or devices provided the devices had their own methods of protection. This menu also provides other settings like port mapping for very specific applications that work on a static non-standard port. But these require an article on their own.

Firewall.jpg

Until Next Time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer:
The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

(If photos appear compressed on a mobile device, please click the photo to open in a new tab/window for better viewing)

Hey again, everyone!

In my last blog on the Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi Mobile Hotspot I talked about the portability and speed of the unit.  This time, however, I want to talk about a real-world application that I know many of you can relate to.

I have two kids who absolutely love taking their Nintendo 2DS and 3DS in the vehicle whenever we go to the store, go on a road trip, or just pretty much wherever.  Let?s be honest here for a minute; I take my 3DS with me wherever I go as well because I?m still a Nintendo nerd.  Prior to the Ride-Fi, my kids and I were unable to play multi-player games when we were out and about or when I would travel and take my 3DS with me.  My oldest daughter is the one who gets the most use out of the online features because she can battle people across the globe in Super Smash Bros. 3DS or trade/battle Pokémon with other players.  The Ride-Fi, coupled with Sprint?s blazing-fast LTE, allows me and my kids to enjoy the Internet-based features while we are away from a home Wi-Fi connection. My youngest doesn?t necessarily find the online features to be as entertaining, but she does get some use out of the Netflix app on her 2DS, so it?s still a win-win!

Here's a view of online play (spectating to allow for easier photo capture) on Super Smash Bros. 3DS:

SSB3DS.jpg

My wife is not much of an online game player, but she does utilize Kindle Fire to download games and books whenever she needs to.  She is an author and a blogger, and she is constantly receiving books for her blogging abilities. She needs Internet quite often to complete this task, but was previously unable to without the Ride-Fi.  The Ride-Fi enables my wife to download a new game to her Kindle or download a book (or multiple) while we are on the go, all the while my children are enjoying their online multiplayer features on their Nintendo 2DS/3DS?s!  When we go camping, I am looking forward to being able to power our portable gaming devices, tablets, and PCs with the Ride-Fi.

Here are some photos of my family enjoying their always-connected world (my oldest wasn?t available for the photo shoot.. ):

20160317_113857.jpg20160317_113851.jpg

20160317_113909.jpg

Now, I realize that not everyone will have a household full of portable Nintendo consoles, but many households have children or other family members who have various types of tablets (Samsung, iPad, Kindle, Nook, etc.), an iPod or even a Sony PlayStation Vita.  You can download your content, play online via multiplayer features, and access your necessary services all while on the go with the Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi.  I should note that online multiplayer sessions (or streaming video/audio) may eat up some data allotment in your plan, so play responsibly and monitor your usage.  (I may have a future blog on managing your usage on this device as well, so keep an eye out!)

I do not play my handheld gaming devices as much as I used to due to other obligations.  However, my kids reap the benefits the most, which is what is important, especially on those long car trips.  My family and I are taking a trip to Northern Idaho this coming Easter weekend, and I am certain my kids will need the Internet for their gaming/streaming needs. 

Interested in purchasing a Ride-Fi?  Head to your nearest Sprint store (locate one here) or go online to the Ride-Fi Product Page HERE

Disclaimers:

- Please note that you may have to adjust some settings on your portable gaming device to enable access to online content while connected to the Ride-Fi. Specifically, Nintendo products seem to not always play nicely with routers/hotspots, so if you are having troubles, drop a comment below and I can help walk you through a connection setup on your 3DS to enable online gaming on games such as Super Smash Bros. 3DS.

- Nintendo, Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Pokémon, Sony PlayStation Vita, Kindle, Nook, iPod and iPad are trademarks of their respective owners.  This blog is not sponsored, nor endorsed, by the trademark owners noted in the post. Any mention to a trademark owner is based on personal usage and not a professional relationship/endorsement/sponsorship.

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

As always, I thank you for reading!  Drop a note below with the games you play on your portable gaming device, whether it be a handheld console, a tablet, or another unit!

~ Troy

0 Comments

Alcatel Ride-Fi - Share the Bandwidth

The Ride-Fi as described is a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot for your vehicle and as such it allows multiple users to connect and share the availability of the network. The Ride-Fi is designed to allow up to 8 users to connect and share the network connectivity. I often wonder how such a small device can handle the amounts of traffic for multiple devices. I set out to see if this device can actually handle the throughput of multiple devices connected. I especially wanted to see how it would; handle multiple video streams occurring at the same time.

I setup my test as follow. I connects 5 devices (what I had at the time) 2 laptops, 2 tablets, and 1 iPad. Each device was connected to the Ride-Fi and was able to obtain an IP address for network connectivity, I had the 2 laptops navigate using a chrome browser to go to YouTube and pull up Sprints page and set it for a video to stream. On the 2 tablets and iPad I launched the YouTube application and navigated to the Sprint page and set them to play the same video stream. All devices were set to run the video at the highest "HD" setting.

The test was initiated and I started all streams simultaneously what was seen was amazing. All 5 devices were streaming the media with no issues. No fragmentation, Delays, Stutters, or audio quality was seen. Each stream played out as smoothly as the next. See the outcome below.

All in all this little mobile Wi-Fi hotspot can clearly handle the power of multiple-streams.  I am satisfied to know that with a family of 5 as I have we can all connect and stream and utilize Sprints network with no issues. While I make no attempts to state this is the norm network connectivity will always be based on the availability of the bandwidth from the Sprint network. As you can see once up and connected you will be pleased with the results of the services being offered.

Disclaimer:
   The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Finding A Perfect Place For Your Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi – Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, one thing I’m noticing lately is many new cars often will have a couple 12VDC (Cigarette) power jacks and not always isolated to the traditional placement at the bottom of the front dash or back seat.  If you have a newer car, look around because you might have another jack lurking elsewhere and that just might be a perfect (and more discrete) mounting place for your Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi.

IMG_20160320_070132.jpg

Here’s my example:

I own a late model Dodge Avenger and one thing I only recently noticed is my center console actually has a fully contained 12VDC (Cigarette) power jack.  This is totally perfect from my Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi as it keeps it completely out of the way and hidden.  I especially like it because that 12V outlet shuts off with the car.  So even if I forget my Ride-Fi in my car, it’s out of view and not draining my battery (which at 150Ma, even if the outlet was always on, it would take a very long time).  Also remember you can easily switch the orientation of the Ride-Fi from straight on to a 90 degree angle making it perfectly adaptable for many cars. In my case having the Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi fully extended is preferred (while in my console) as it takes up the least space and gives me quick access to the power and USB port.

IMG_20160320_070117.jpg

Another thing you’ll see a lot of in cars is built in 5VDC USB ports (sometimes located in nice hidden areas).   Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi can alternatively run on 5VDC so if you wanted to use the 5VDC option that is certainly a possibility too. However you will need to bring your own USB Cable (Needs have two Type A Male ends) and anchoring solution (so it doesn’t roll around).

Any way you have it the tiny Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi is one sweet in car hot spot solution.  One that allows your creativity with your connectivity. Do you have any interesting places you have your Ride-Fi plugged in?  

Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

Great little device can even charge your phone while it’s providing the internet.

Since the RideFi fits so nicely in the hole that used to house the cigarette lighter in vehicles. I was thinking why not change the SSID that is broadcast to your Business name and take advantage of some free advertising while you or your service vehicles are riding around town.

First connect to the RideFi then open a browser and go to http://192.168.128.1 or http://myhotspot

The user interface seems pretty easy to navigate.

1.jpg 

You may be challenged for a password the default is password

Now select the settings Tab at the top:

2.jpg

Then you can change the broadcasted WiFi name to anything you want.

I would suggest changing the password from the default as well.

You can do it through the RideFi app as well from your phone  but you have to first sign into to http://192.168.128.1 or http://myhotspot

App.PNG 

Once you have logged into your browser and launch the Ride-Fi App you’ll see:

Screenshot_2016-03-11-06-55-23.png

Touch on the settings icon and you will see:

Screenshot_2016-03-11-06-56-35.png

Next select WiFi and simply choose edit

Screenshot_2016-03-11-06-56-43.png

name it whatever you would like presto your SSID can now be your business name or anything you would like!

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

My second week with the Ride-FI by Alcatel is making my life even easier. You maybe ask how?

For starters, I leave my device in my vehicle, but it has a compact size that can fit perfectly in your pant or shirt pocket, a backpack or a purse. Once I power it on, I am ready to connect in no time.

In fact, I really enjoy how quick the device power up. I have had the traditional square hotspot and those devices typically take two to three minutes or longer before you can connect your computer, tablet or smart phone to the device.

With the Ride-FI, I am connected to the device less than a minute. You just press the power button for about two seconds and the device is on and it is ready to play.

Once you are connected, the Ride-FI will offer you a visual description of what it is doing. I have included a snap shot from the user manual that comes with the device.

LED Indicator Description

Network Signal LED

1.pngLED Off - Device is powered off or in power saving mode

2.pngFlashing Blue (In 1s frequency) - Searching for 4G LTE network

3.pngFlashing Blue (In 0.5s frequency) - Attempting HFA

4.pngSolid Blue - Connected to 4G LTE network

5.pngFlashing Red (In 0.5s frequency) - Searching for network

6.pngFlashing Red (In 1s frequency) - Roaming request, need to confirm on WebUI

7.pngSolid Red - No Signal

8.pngFlashing Lilac - Searching for 3G network

9.pngSolid Lilac - Connected to 3G network

Wi-Fi LED

10.pngLED Off - Device is powered off or in power saving mode

11.pngSolid Blue - Wi-Fi is active

Colorful and easy to read.

Go ahead and try out the Alcatel Ride-FI!

Ask me how to save 30-50% on unlimited data with #Sprint. #sprintemployeereferral http://sprint.co/1xtkxki

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

Interested in turning your auto experience with this:

old truck.jpg

Into something closer to this:

new truck.jpg

You may not be able to easily shed years of wear and tear and an aging design off your old ride but there are options for the latest features.  Enter the Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi device, a very easy plug and play Wi-Fi solution providing connectivity similar to the connectivity feature available in Ford's Sync entertainment system.    Vehicle connectivity is quickly becoming a standard feature across well equipped vehicles so what is a used car owner suppose to do to keep up with the Joneses?  Rather than impulsively rush out and spend thousands of dollars on a depreciating asset consider the Alcatel's OneTouch Ride-Fi.    Plugging directly into your vehicle's DC outlet the dongle, measuring 5.37" X 1.33" X 0.47", creates a Wi-Fi hotspot allowing internet connectivity for up to 8 devices.    Here is how the device looks in a 2005 Ford F-150:

dash.jpg

As you can see in the picture it isn't the smallest of devices but the hinge in the design keeps it from awkwardly protruding from the dashboard.  Simple connectivity that can help an aging vehicle have a new lease on life, and save you a ton of dough to boot.   Now if I can just figure out how to convert the fuel system to nuclear power. . . .

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Vacation season is upon us, as summer is right around the corner. This means it is road trip time! Wally World, anyone?

Let’s go through the road trip checklist, shall we…

• Gas… Check!
  • Snacks… Check!
  • Beverages... Check!
  • Sunglasses… Check!
  • Music (aka your Sprint smartphone so you can stream great tunes)... Check!
  • In-Vehicle WiFi (so you can work and play on the long ride)... what, no check? Fear not, as there is a solution, the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi.

Screenshot 2016-03-09 09.14.53.png

The Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi turns your vehicle into a portable LTE hotspot. The Ride-Fi plugs directly into your vehicle’s DC socket (aka what was once known as the cigarette charging port).

The Ride-Fi provides Sprint 4G LTE connectivity to your vehicle. No worries about it taking up your DC socket, as there is a USB 2.0 port on the Ride-Fi that enables you to plug your existing USB cable into the device so you can charge your phone, tablet, etc.

The Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi will allow for 8 Wi-Fi devices to connect to the internet using 2.4GHz WiFi. The device is lightweight and portable, weighing only 1.8 ounces and is 12mm thin. This enables the Ride-Fi to be easily tucked away in your glove compartment when not in use.

“This is all great, but how well does it work,” you ask. I can personally attest to the fact that it works quite well while on the road. Recently, I was on a 14 hour road trip in which I was a passenger. On this trip, I was able to connect to the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi and access 4G LTE in the vehicle, allowing me to connect my work laptop to the portable Wi-Fi hotspot and get work done! At the same time, I was charging my devices via the USB 2.0 port on the Ride-Fi. It was a fantastic and productive experience.

If you’re in need of in-vehicle 4G LTE Wi-Fi connectivity, I suggest you check out the Alcatel ONETOUCH Ride-Fi, available at Sprint.

0 Comments

Alcatel Ride-Fi - Secure Your Connection - Sprint Product Ambassador

Let us talk about security. If you read my other blogs on the Ride-Fi device you would get the basic setup on configuring the device for a first time use. In this article I will discuss in further details some of the changes that should be made for your own and your Family's/Businesses own protection. This discussion will assume you already have your device setup for initial use. in order to configure the device for further security you will need to login into the devices Web Gui.

Accessing the web gui / device manager can be done by either navigating to http://192.168.128.1 or http://myhotspot. At first you will be given the home page. Here you get a summary of your usage at the time of connectivity to your Ride-Fi. Most of what I am going to discuss will be under the Settings Section. When you click the Settings tab you will be instructed to enter your device managers password. If you ave not changed it in the initial setup then it should be the word "password without parenthesis.

Once under the section you will be in the WiFi basic configuration section. There are couple of things that can be done to secure your network here. Enabling stealth SSID will stop broadcasting your SSID to be seen but will still allow you to manually enter it on your devices to connect to. No one will try to connect to a network they cant see typically. The Password Key is pretty secure in my opinion but you may not remember it so it is best to change it to something you will be more inclined to remember. When changing passwords Include both upper case, lower case, numbers and a specialty character to make cracking the password hard. Next determine if you really need to allow more than a few connections at one time. if you know you will not have more than 3 devices able to connect at once reduce the maximum connections down from 8 to the desired request.

Next go to the Devices tab and select Web Interface. If you were able to access your device manager with the default password. Here is where you will change it. I recommend using a different password than your Wi-Fi password. Make sure you choose a combination of upper case, lower case, number and specialty characters to make the password. After the password has been changed you will then need to go to the Advanced Router section.

Under the LAN Settings section here is where you can configure the IP address range you will use on all your connected devices. In the initial setup Alcatel gives you over 100 IPs to use. In my world I don't think I will ever need or use 100 IP addresses. I do not even have that many WiFi connected devices. Here I would reduce the IP range under the DHCP IP range to something more within the range of connected devices. Keep in mind its ok to have more than your need. That is where the DHCP lease time comes into play. The DHCP lease time tells the device how long to hold the IP address assigned to your device for before it releases to be used with another device. I do not see the need to have my IP's stored for over 700 minutes so I reduced my down to 120 minutes.

If you are going to have little ones connecting with their own devices may I recommend additional web surfing suggestion. Under the DNS Mode section you can manually setup a DNS ip addresses to use. I use a service called OpenDNS and I recommend something like this service to protect prying eyes from going or seeing things they should not be on the internet. DNS is used when visiting websites in the simplest form.  When your trying to visit a website the DNS service compares the site your trying to visit to known known blacklisted/bad lists and if it is on them you would be denied from going to the site. Very simple, very effective.

Finally if you want to be even more secure you can go to the firewall section and start creating firewall rules for added protection, but this would be beyond this discussion. If you follow some simple changes with your network you will be secure enough for the average user to drive around and use your hotspot without many issues. if you take anything from this its that you please change your passwords. this is the simplest thing to do and pretty much secures you from most of the attackers/hackers out in the world. while not everything is 100% secure we can always try our best to be aware of the tools we are using and how to protect ourselves more fully.

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

Power Requirements with the Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, you have your new Alcatel Ride-Fi and if you are anything like me, you are already thinking about exciting new ways to integrate it into your life.  You love how you can finally fill that 12V cigarette lighter adaptor but not quite sure about all the details.  You also are a little skeptical connecting your big bad smartphone to that AUX USB port. Well rest assured, through the power of science and a nice regulated (current measuring) power supply, I have many of your questions answered.  Hopefully helping you find the best possible application for your new Alcatel Ride-Fi.

Your Alcatel One Touch Ride-Fi does not have an internal battery.  I personally like that.   The unit is small, sleek and perfectly designed for car applications without being big and bulky like other hot-spots.  That being said (being primarily intended for car use)  we will first take a look at the 12VDC power requirements:

Per Alcatel’s Technical Specifications page, your Ride-Fi is designed to run between 12V-24VDC at about 2Amps.  Which seemed kinda high to me, especially since I was already considering a desktop application (Using an external adaptor).  This doubt lead me wanting to prove a few things using very practical measurements of actual power consumption.  Please Note: Although, my tests in no way dispute the actual written technical specification but I truly believe this is a very safe benchmark for the average user.

Using the Ride-Fi under 12VDC with 1 device connected (via WiFi) and actively streaming Youtube in full HD, I seldom saw consumption go above 150Ma.  This is pretty low and I’m thinking most Universal External AC to DC Socket Adaptors (Generally 300Ma) would work just fine.  It’s what I’m planning on getting for my hotel travel kit and is a nice neat way to mount the Ride-Fi without wire dangling.

12v1.jpg

Using the Ride-Fi under 12VDC with my Nexus 6 smartphone connected to the USB and 1 device connected (via WiFi) and actively streaming Youtube in full HD, I saw the draw go up higher about 580 Ma. So if you wanted to use both features, I would recommend seeking an adaptor of 1 Amp or more. Obviously, there’s no rapid charging going (The 5VDC USB is rated only 1Amp) but it will get the job done and nice if your car has no built in USB ports.

12v2.jpg

It should be known your car port is always rated at a few amps or more. So the Ride-Fi should easily co-exist beside other devices or on a splitter (Like a few of my friends are using).  The unit will accept voltage up till 24VDC but I didn’t test anything above 12VDC mainly because it was very out of the norm.

Alternatively (from 12VDC car power), the Alcatel Ride-Fi can operate right from the 5VDC USB port that generally would charge devices (Meaning the port is bi-directional).  When plugged into your car, the USB outputs 5VDC at 1 Amp.  In absence of that 12VDC your device can take 5VDC power from an external source.

From my benchtop tests, with 1 device connected (via WiFi) and actively streaming Youtube in full HD, I generally stay below 200Ma on USB power.   This is far below the majority of USB adaptors (rated 500Ma).  That means the Ride-Fi is good for TV’s USB, Car USB, PC USB’s and most other USB ports you’ll encounter. With such low current needed, it also means it might go pretty far on external batteries (if you wanted to setup such a thing).

5v.jpg

In other words, the Alcatel Ride-Fi has plenty of potential for interesting applications where cellular connectivity might come in handy. As one who tinkers with things, I already have a couple ideas for the future.  Check my blog next week where I’ll try a couple of those ideas to see just how versatile the Alcatel Ride-Fi can be.

-Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

So, you just got your cool Alcatel ONTOUCH Ride-Fi, and you have activated it. Now you want to activate it in your home so that you can configure your SSID. But you don't want to sit in your garage or drive way to do that, that sounds weird. So what you need is a USB cable to turn this guy on indoors. But when you look at it, the device has a standard USB A port that can be used to power the Ride-Fi. But not any USB cable would do. This design, unfortunately, requires a different kind of cable, a USB Male A to Male A cable to say. This is a cable that has the same Standard Male connector on both ends. Something like this (see image below).

http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/54431.jpg

Once you connect this cable to the device, the other side could be connected to a laptop/desktop or any USB charger. Hold the power button for a few seconds and you are good to go. This way you could use this device not only for initial activation/setup, but also as a mobile hot spot. In order to buy one, if you don't have one (most of us won't) here are a few links for research/purchase options purchases. I have not personally bought any of these but both these brands, C2G and Monoprice are reliable in my humble opinion.

C2G / Cables To Go 54171 USB 3.0 A Male to A Male Cable

6ft USB 2.0 A Male to A Male 28/24AWG Cable

The C2G cable option is also USB 3.0 so you could future proof yourself, but it does cost a bit more. All in all, both are decent options.

Enjoy!

Until Next Time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

(Images appearing compressed? Click images to open in new window/tab for better viewing experience)

Hey everyone!

It has been a while since my last blog post about a device.  However, I am very excited to write about the latest device I received, the Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi Mobile Hotspot!  

This blog will be related to its performance on the network.  There are other blogs available from my counterparts related to setup, ease of use, etc., so please take some time to read over the blogs when you have time!

The Alcatel OneTouch Ride-Fi (We’ll just use Ride-Fi for short going forward – it’s a lot of typing each time ) is a portable mobile hotspot designed for use in a vehicle. It uses the DC Power Outlet in a vehicle (AKA cigarette lighter receptacle) to power your device so that your vehicle is always connected to the Sprint LTE network! 

Here’s an example of the unit in my vehicle:

20160229_141948.jpg

20160229_142031.jpg

Having Internet connectivity in your vehicle for all of your devices is convenient.  Additionally, it’s almost necessary in today’s society (tablets, eReaders, portable gaming devices, etc.).  Additionally important is speed.  I know that I like to use Sprint’s improved LTE network, and I like to share the experience with friends and family, and the RideFi lets me do that with ease. 

I live in the Portland, Oregon area -- technically I live north of Portland in a small community in Washington, but for simplicity sake it’s easier to say Portland – and I travel extensively for my position at Sprint.  I travel throughout Oregon, Southern Idaho, Southwest Washington and even Hawaii.  Therefore, I am able to take my RideFi with me to experience Sprint Speed in numerous places.  So far, I have been extremely pleased at the performance of the RideFi and its connectivity to the network.  I do not have to sacrifice speed while I am on the go, which is critical.  No longer am I tied to a conference call without the ability to check in on my e-Mail or other applications on my phone or tablet!

Here are a few examples of speeds that I have pulled on the RideFi over the last week in the Portland metro area:

Speed 1.pngSpeed 2.pngSpeed 3.png

Speed 4.pngSpeed 5.png

I look forward to utilizing the device in Las Vegas this coming weekend (March 4th – March 6th) at the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Kobalt 400.  Why?  Well, because Sprint was recently named number one in Las Vegas by RootMetrics.  “Independent mobile analytics firm RootMetrics® has just released a new RootScore® Report showing Sprint now has the top rated network in Las Vegas with a #1 ranking in overall performance, data performance, and speed; along with a tie for #1 in reliability, call and text. Wow!” (Sprint Newsroom, 2015).  I will try to post an update on my experience in Las Vegas upon my return!

RootMetrics_RootScore_Overall_Las_Vegas2C_NV_2016_1H_Highres.jpg

Read more HERE

Overall, I am pleased with the performance, speed, and convenience of the RideFi mobile hotspot. I have found many uses for this device, and I look forward to sharing them with you in the coming weeks with future blog posts.

As always, thanks for reading!

~Troy

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Sprint Product Ambassador: Easy, Thin and Convenient: ALCATEL onetouch!

pic1.jpgpic2.png

Easy, thin and convenient. This is the next generation of having a Hotspot device that can fit in the back pocket of those skinny jeans. My first impression was will I ever use it and if I will get any good value out of the Alcatel onetouch. What I can say is that this is a convenient little device.

The Specs:

·         Hinged dongle

·         4G LTE connectivity

·         USB 2.0 outlet/w 5volt power

·         Weight 52g, width 12mm thin

·         Supports up to 8 devices

Connectivity:

·         FDD LTE: B25/26

o   Download up to 150 Mbps & Upload up to 50 Mbps

·         TDD LTE: B41

o   Download up to 112 Mbps & upload up to 10 Mbps

·         CDMA BC01/1/10

·         CDMA2000: Download up to 3.1Mbps & Upload to 1.8 Mbps

·         WI-FI 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHZ

Display:

·         WI-FI Signal indicator

·         Network Type indicator

Memory:

·         Internal: 256MB LPDDR2 (RAM) + 512MB NAND Flash (ROM)

Input/Output:

·         Input: 12V-24VDC/2A

·         Output: 5VIA

Ride-Fi is the perfect gadget to have while you are on the road or while you are traveling between locations. Convenient, quick to power up and easy to use.

0 Comments

Alcatel Ride-Fi - Android Ride-Fi APP - Sprint Product Ambassador

Alcatel in an effort to stream line the ability to use and activate your Ride-Fi device has created a mobile application that can be downloaded from the Google Playstore on to your Android phone or tablet. In the Playstore Search for the term Ride-Fi this should bring up the proper application to install. Alcatel has made other versions of this application to be used with other device while it is possible to download these applications and use them for setup they will not be able to take advantage of the features that application is made for. Please remember to only download the Ride-Fi application.

onetouch Ride-Fi - Android Apps on Google Play

Once installed prior to clicking on the application you must for make sure your Ride-Fi device is activated with Sprint if it is connect your Ride-Fi device to a power source and turn in it on. Obviously you can connect it to your cars lighter adapter or you can use a Male-to-Male USB cable and plug it into either a charger, PC, Etc... Once plugged in hold down the power button until the device is on. Once on you can now click on the Ride-Fi application Icon to begin the setup process.

When you click the icon at first it will search for connection to the Ride-Fi device if not connected the application will advise you to please connect to the mobile hotspot first click on the "Get Connected" button. This will bring you to your devices Wi-Fi section. Here you will see a list of Wi-Fi devices you can connect to. You will be looking for the one listed as AlcatelWifiA-xxxxx or SprintWifiA-xxxxx. Click on this name to connect to the hotspot. You will be asked for the devices password to connect. The initial Wi-Fi password will be listed on the back side of the device under the cover. It is listed next to the word "KEY". Once entered your device will now show connected to the hotspot. To continue on with the setup click you device back button and you will be brought back to the Ride-Fi application.

Your first step to accessing the devices setup screen is to enter the Admin Password. This password is found in your user manual that came with the device. The password should be just "password" all in lower case with no parenthesis. Once entered you will be brought to the quick setup section. Here you can change the name of the network to whatever you would like to call it. Either enter the new name and select next or click skip to keep it the same. Next you will be given the opportunity to now change the Wi-Fi password you used to initially connect to the device. Enter the new one and click next or click skip to keep the same. once complete you will be given a final page of what the new network name and password you set it up to be are. Please make note of them. Once ready click finish. The device will now power cycle to setup the new network name and you will be required now to reconnect to the device with the new name and password you just created. The application will go back to the first screen requested you to connect to the device. Simply click the "Get Connected" button again and follow the same steps above just now with your new info you created.

When connected go back to the application and you may need to re-enter the Admin password again.  When connected you will be presented with a Home screen which has some nice information. The home screen will give you a summary of what is happening with your device. It will show you how many users are connected. Which network you are connected to 4G/3G. How much time the device has been connected to the network with current data usage it has used at this current time of connectivity. At the top it will show connected to Sprint with a radial button which allows you to shut off network connectivity rather than just unplugging the device.

Now it is time to setup your device. You will want to go to the usage section and set that up. Click the usage icon at the bottom of the screen. Here you can setup your plan limits. Click the "set max data amount" here I would type in the number 10% below what my plan maximum is. This number will be used to help protect you from going over your allocated amount and be charged overage. Though the number entered is not 100% accurate that is why you will need to add in a buffer. Hence going at least 10% below your total amount should be fine but you can add more to be safe if you want to. Next you can enter the number that which you want to be warned before hitting your maximum amount of usage. This number I would do at least 25%. But you can make the selection based on your needs. Finally you can select whether to use the data while roaming. Please check to make sure your plan includes data roaming and how much can be used while roaming. You should not need to have this active as Sprint has been building its network coverage out. When done enter click the back button at the top. You will be on the usage page and your information will now be entered to show you a more accurate look of your use based on your plan. If you ever need to modify the usage simply click the three dots in the top right corner to access the usage settings or clear the history and reset the numbers to zero.

Next click on the settings cog wheel in the bottom right hand corner. Here is where we will make some additional changes to finally setup your device for use, you will have 5 sections to choose from WIFI, Account, Network, Device, and About. In the Wi-Fi section here is where you can change your network name and Wi-Fi password. The Account Section is where you will be given the option to change the administrator’s password to access the Ride-Fi device setup screen. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND CHANGING THIS. Change the name to something more secure than just password. You will use this to access the Ride-Fi application or even accessing the main Web Gui. The Network section allows you to choose the network you wish to connect to. I would just leave it as is, It is set to connect to any of the networks should you be in an area where 4G is not available you will still be able to connect to the 3G network. Under the Device section you can choose to look at system information (mac address, IP address, and current os version), upgrade system OS, Backup & Restore your current configuration setup, Access the Web version of the Ride-Fi device for further configuration or Restart the Ride-Fi. In the last "Device" section this will show you the devices connected to the Ride-FI, Here you can name each device connected or set up restrictions to block devices from connecting.

The last tab we haven't looked at is the notifications tab. Here is where you will get messages from your Ride-Fi device concerning any issues or even warning messages. Here is where you will see if you have reached your usage warning limit or reached your max limit set up on the device.

This application is a great way to monitor your usage on the device and make sure you are not going over the limits of your plan. Security is a big thing and if you only remember a few things from this blog it is to make sure you at least change administrator’s password to your device. You do not just want anyone to be able to access your devices setup and make changes without your say so. Keep an eye out for my next blog which dives into the Web Gui setup with additional modification to further secure and protect your network. As always drive safe and use the device accordingly.

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

Opening up the box for the Alcatel onetouch rideFi you get a device looks like below:

20160217_122157.jpg

The device has no battery and is designed to be inserted right into the power/cigarette socket in the car.  The USB port on the device is a bidirectional charging port: you can use a male-to-male USB cable to charge the rideFi, or when you plug the device into the car, you can use a standard USB cable charger cable to charge your phone or tablet device while driving. The male-to-male USB cable does not come with the box so if you plan to use the device on your desk or around the house you need to buy this male-to-male cable.  The rideFi can support up to 8 devices connected to it via WiFi.

If you have ordered the device online or from a Sprint store, the device should have been provisioned and ready for activation.  To activate the device, it is pretty easy, just plug the device into a car cigarette lighter or from a USB source, and then press the button near the USB port for about 2 sec.  The blue light should turn on and the device will soon be connected to the Sprint data network (likely via 4G LTE). The WiFi key can be found by opening the cover at the area pointing by the orange arrow in the photo below.  The WiFi key is indicated by the word “Key” on the label under the cover. Select the WiFi on your tablet WiFi device, voila you get a connection.  Pretty easy! There is an app to manage your rideFi hotspot, however, if you just want to connect there is no need to have the app.  The app will allow you to view the status of the rideFi and for you to make some configuration changes.

20160222_132336-1.jpg

Voila, I have my WiFi tablet connected to the WiFi in my car (the rideFi access point SSID is SprintWiFiA-AF2F):

Screenshot_2016-02-23-08-54-05.png 

I am using my WiFi table as the Google navigation device.  Very cool, I probably have one of the biggest portable GPS navigation device.

20160223_085438.jpg

I also using the standard USB charging cable to charge my tablet via the USB port of the rideFi. My tablet was at 94% charge level, after only about 7min, the tablet reported battery full, so the charging port is working pretty well.

Screenshot_2016-02-23-08-52-19.png

I was getting real-time navigation all the way from home to work via my tablet!

At work, I also use the male-to-male cable for my tablet WiFi access.

20160223_095607.jpg

In summary the device works very well in terms of data access.  The form factor is great, and operating the device is very simple.

I will likely bring the device everywhere so I can provide WiFi access for my passengers and my tablet Navigation device.  In fact, at the time of writing this blog, the Internet service at my home is down, I actually connect to the network using this rideFi device.  Sprint has just completed adding TDD LTE towers near my house, I get really good speed in the upper two floors of the house (over 15 mbps DL, and 3-4 mbps UL).

Bye for now

Hung Bui

0 Comments

Alcatel Ride-Fi - Hello Hotspot

20160222_074704.jpg

Sprint has just released the NEW Alcatel Ride-Fi. It is a portable wireless hotspot made for vehicle use. If you have a family and do some traveling then this device will be perfect for you. In today's world most kids have tablets. Well I know my kids do. They take them everywhere we go. Its good entertainment when driving somewhere.  At home where we have WiFi my kids like to stream YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Shows. But until now my kids would play local games while in the car. With the Alacatel Ride-Fi I can now give my kids that additional benefit of streaming and watching shows.

The Ride-Fi device is the length of a pen roughly 4 inches. It is a lighter adapter friendly device with swivel base to allow optional setup. On the face of the device it has a WiFi and a Network Signal Strength icon. On one side is the power button and optional USB port. The back panel can be removed revealing the Sprint SIM card and initial password for connecting to the HotSpot for configuration.

20160222_073310.jpg

20160222_074531.jpg 20160222_074600.jpg

When I took this device out of the box I was able to activate it smoothly through the Sprint online chat service. Once activated I had to now set it up. Well the only way it appeared at first to set it up was through my car (Obviously, cause it only has a vehicle lighter connection). I have found after writing this that there is an optional ability to set the device up using a Male to Male USB cable connecting to a power adapter or even PC. If you are like me you may not have this type of cable so I will advise how I did the setup.

I took the device to my car and plugged it in. Per the instructions manual I held the power button for 2 seconds turning the unit on. The device lit up and immediate it appeared to start connecting to the network and creating a WiFi signal for me to connect to. The Wifi Name seen will either be listed as AlcatelWifiA-xxxxx or SprintWifiA-xxxxx. The Hotspot is ready to go there is no configuration really needed but it is best to make changes to secure your network just like you should do in your home. This device can handle up to 8 simultaneous connections. If you are not ready to make these change and just want to get up and going just click on the Wifi Settings on your mobile device and connect to the network name listed above and enter the password. The initial Wifi password will be listed on the back side of the device under the cover. It is listed next to the word "KEY". Once enter you will be connected to the device and will be ready to start streaming and enjoying the service.

20160222_100225.jpg

I was able to get some decent download speeds when testing the throughput on my wireless connection. Now this will vary depending on location and tower use but I feel very satisfied with my initial and immediate connection. I look forward to further testing and reviewing this product. Look for my next blog regarding the configurations and advanced settings guide for setting and configuring the Ride-Fi Device. As always drive safe and use the device accordingly.

Screenshot_2016-02-21-15-38-29.png

Disclaimer: