cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Things I LOVE about Dual Screens on the LG G8X ThinQ – Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

10 Things I LOVE about Dual Screens on the LG G8X ThinQ – Sprint Product Ambassadors

02_Dual_Screens.jpg

So, I must admit, having Dual Screens on a phone is a little difficult to get used to.  So much in fact that “Dual” may feel more like “Duel” screens when you unconsciously favor one screen over the other.  I will say, despite a sharp learning curve, there are many very useful ways to optimize your dual screen format.  Below are just 10 random ways the dual screen has really helped (or intrigued) me.

#1 – Chrome in combo with NEST – My absolute favorite combo is having the ability to open my NEST app (watching my cameras real time) while still having a full web browser open for surfing.  I often use this when I’m on the couch killing time and watching out for the mailman or UPS.  It was also useful this holiday when I was looking out for family members arriving for Thanksgiving.

#2 – Transcribing from a photo – So it happens a lot to me.  Rather than getting a straight text message from people, I often get a photo with a particular URL address, gift card code, or several other bits of info that I can’t just cut and paste into input box.  My general options are a.) write it down on paperand type it in manually or b.) toggle back and forth between screens (because I surely can’t remember everything in one glance).  Two screens are nice as I can have the picture up (on once screen) and my website (or app) up on the dual screen. Then just look over and type it real time.

#3 – Dual Screen = Built in Stand – The dual screen doubles as its own stand.  You can prop it up vertical like a book half opened on a table or horizontal (I find it works best with the second screen propped up with the phone used as a base).  I like this best feature best when watching movies on Vudu.  It also allows you to use the bottom screen to search IMDB or whatever.

#4 – Tilt View – Having trouble taking photos at strange angles?  Well no longer.  The dual screen acts as an additional monitor that displays what the camera is seeing. You can also click a shutter button from either screen.  This is great for strange close ups and or if you don’t want to crouch down into a contorted pose just to capture that special moment (even if that special moment is taking a picture of your plate at a restaurant).

#5 – Extended View – This allows a viewable Thumbnail gallery shown on the opposite screen without exiting your camera app. It’s ideal when you are taking a series of shots and/or want a quick review of what was already taken.  You can check back and forth to see what you have already taken.

#6 – Photo Preview – If a Thumbnail gallery isn’t your thing, you also can use your dual screen for a full screen preview of the picture you just took.  You can also share directly through social media, make edits or do other functions without closing out your camera or switching apps.

#7 – Network Management – One tedious task that the Dual Screen helps me with is managing my home network.  Using my routers management App and the 3rd party apps for each of my smart home devices, I can confirm settings, MAC addresses and set names without toggling back and forth.  Thanks to the G8X ThinQ, I caught up on some well overdue auditing and updating.

#8 – Comparison Shopping – This black Friday, the LG G8X ThinQ was my copilot.   Sadly, I rode with a big box store on one screen and Amazon on the other. I think I scored some great deals and I didn’t need to sit ay my PC to do so.

#9 – Moving apps over to the dual screen – Although it’s not as seamless as an extended PC display, I like how you can drag three fingers back and forth to move apps from one screen to the other.  It gives it a sense of unity where otherwise the two screens would truly feel as separate devices.

#10 – Virtual Game Pad – Although I haven’t really dove as deep as I wanted to, the LG G8X ThinQ gives you the option to use your second screen as a touchscreen gamepad. Compatible with pretty much all titles that are compatible with a Bluetooth controller.   I have dreams this will work with some of my favorite retro apps like DOS Box.  More on that later if it works.

All and all, having Dual Screens is a neat experience and one you are not locked into. 

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.