cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Look At Samsung Galaxy S8 Active IP68 Water Resistant - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Samsung Galaxy S8 IP68 and S8 Active IP68 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

IP68.jpg

So, one term I see loosely thrown around, especially when defining something rugged is the “IP68” Standard. You’ll see this mentioned with the Galaxy S8 Active (richly deserved) but you will also see identical ratings on the Note 8, S8+ and even the regular S8.  So what gives?  Isn’t the S8 Active supposed to be the be-all-end-all in terms of rugged and durable?  How can lower tier models meet the same standard? 

Well first, you have to look at the standard as which it’s defined.  Known as the International Protection Rating or also known as the “Ingress protection rating”.  The IP in “IP68” pertains to “Ingress Protection” in other words protecting the device from foreign material entering the device.  The first number (6) pertains to solids (dust or otherwise) and range goes from 0 – 6.  Since 6 is the highest value it’s defined as “Dust Tight” and should stop all solid particles from entering the device.  The second number (8) pertains to water and ranges from 0 – 8.  Since 8 is the highest rating and defined as “Immersion Beyond 1m”, things get a little vague afterwards.  So, have no doubt not all IP68’s are created equally.

Enter the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active.

So, how brave are you and how far Samsung’s commitment?  Digging a little deeper you should be able to find a little more info on this.  True definition of how water resistant the S8 Active is water-resistant in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes.  Considering 1 meter equals 3.29 feet and 30 mins is quite a while I’d think this was pretty generously equipped and for most mishaps quite acceptable.  Will it survive if it gets dropped in a pool? Quite likely.  Can you scuba dive with it?  Likely not.

Now that isn’t to say you don’t get a good level of protection as I’m sure you could probably tell some good tales where a S8 Active can easily push beyond that 5 feet or 30 mins, but where it stands I’m OK with that.

One thing I like, you can readily see and far exceeds the standard used on other Galaxy devices is the SD card slot and cover.  Check out the slot on the S8 Active, complete with black rubber O-ring gasket.

20180107_125106.jpg

Now look at the Note 8, which although looks perfectly acceptable is a little less equipped and without the added gasket.

20180107_125356.jpg

Take a look all over the S8 Active and you’ll see even more examples of attention to detail and additional safeguards. Is it a perfectly indestructible device, no but it surely is about as good as it gets.

Do you have any tales where your S8 Active Survived? Please share below.       

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.