cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AKG Earbuds for the Galaxy S8 Active

Sprint Product Ambassador

akg.jpg

In 1947, the Akustische und Kino-Geräte Gesellschaft, (Acoustic and Cinema Equipment Corporation in English), or as they are better known, AKG Accoustics, started out making film projectors and loudspeakers for AKG MIKE.JPGmovie theaters in Europe.  Eventually, this Austrian-based company focused most of their energy on designing and building world-class microphones and headphones.

Eventually, Harman International, parent company of Harman / Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Revel, Mark Levinson, Crown Audio, Soundcraft, and a few more high-end audio companies, bought AKG.

Samsung purchased Haman International in 2016, and that transaction was completed this past March.

Among the many excellent features features in the Samsung  Galaxy S8 Active is High Dynamic Range video, and an actual, genuine, and bona fide 3.5mm headphone jack, and a pair of premium AKG earbuds.  This particular pair of AKG earbuds are exclusive to the S8, S8 Plus, and S8 Active.  Samsung estimates the relative retail value of these earbuds as being $99.  I found other AKG earbuds for sale on amazon.com for $130.  I’ve owned many Samsung phones and have extensively used many Samsung earbuds and by now, I know what to expect; great fitting earbuds that sound consistently fine.  These do not sound like Samsung earbuds.  I don’t know where they are manufactured, and I don’t know if they were designed by Samsung or by AKG; I suspect they were actually designed by the latter.  I’ve listened to AKG headphones before, and these have some sonic similarities. The part that goes in your ear is branded AKG, while the plug is branded Samsung.  I suppose at this point in history, both statements are true.akg earbuds.jpg

The earbuds have oversized drivers for accurate bass that is never muddy, a gold-plated 3.5mm connector, and a braided fabric cable.  The advantage of gold plating is resistance to corrosion, and crackle-free connections.  The advantage of a braided fabric cable over a plastic insulated cable is that it won’t get tangled up, even if you shove them in your pockets.

I have noticed one odd thing with these earbuds; the cushions fit different than any other I’ve tried.  I normally  have to use the smallest earbud cushion for every pair of earbuds I’ve ever owned, and even then, it can be painful for long listening.  For these, I had to use the largest cushion.  The other cushions didn’t give me a tight enough seal to get any bass.

So, how do they sound? They sound completely natural and neutral, which is what I prefer. I am using the customized EQ on my S8 active, but that’s a story for another day. Anyway, once you get the right cushion, everything that is in a recording is there, and nothing sounds exaggerated. They are also pretty good at passively reducing outside noises, so you don’t have to listen at a very high volume level.

Samsung has gone all out on the Galaxy S8 Active.  It has every bell and whistle you need, including a headphone jack and an excellent pair of headphones to go with it.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee