cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biometrics on the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Samsung has really impressed me with taking it up a notch in the biometrics space.  For those of you that don’t know what biometrics are, “Biometrics is the process by which a person's unique physical and other traits are detected and recorded by an electronic device as a means of confirming identity.”1  On the Galaxy S9 Plus, there are several ways that Samsung uses biometric data to unlock your device and use Samsung Pay.

Screenshot_20180427-121804_Settings.jpg

First: Fingerprint Scanning.  Fingerprint scanning launched a few years back and has always been one of my favorite ways to unlock my devices. In the former days of fingerprint scanning, to record your fingerprint you had to tap your finger multiple times until it recorded your finger and its edges. Sometimes, I’d record the same finger several times just to make sure it would accept my finger when unlocking the device. With the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, your fingerprint is recorded with just a swipe of the finger across the fingerprint sensor (which is on the back of the device below the camera). To do this, visit Settings > Lock screen and security > Fingerprint Scanner, and follow the prompts. Recording fingerprints is much simpler than it was before.

Screenshot_20180427-122524_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180427-122602_Settings.jpg

Second: Face Recognition. Samsung has brought their facial recognition into the S9 series, and it works great. In order to record your face to use for unlocking your device and using Samsung Pay, go to Settings > Lock screen and security > Face Recognition, and follow the prompts.  The front camera will scan your face and map your biometric data.

Screenshot_20180427-123408_Settings.jpg

Third: Iris Scanner. I don’t know about you, but this just somewhat feels like we are entering the age of Minority Report. If you don’t get the reference, check out this video: https://youtu.be/zhpCu-ZJiu4. The Iris Scanner works beautifully on the GS9 plus. Using this biometric data will allow you to unlock your device and use Samsung Pay as well. To record your iris scan, go to Settings > Lock screen and security > Iris scanner, and follow the prompts.  Also in this menu area, you can change your Preview screen mask to a fun mask that will appear when your irises are being scanned.

Screenshot_20180427-124044_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180427-124055_Settings.jpg

Fourth: Intelligent scan. This is an awesome feature and makes unlocking your device all the simpler. Intelligent Scan improves accuracy and security by using BOTH iris and face data. In normal or low light conditions, the iris opens and provides data to unlock for a secure authentication scan. In bright sunlight, the iris contracts, making facial recognition a better method of access. Combining these two authentication methods into “Intelligent Scan” makes for unlocking your device under different conditions work well. This is what I have enabled on my device and it works most of the time. The only times it doesn’t work is when I’m not holding my phone upright and steady.  

Screenshot_20180427-124949_Settings.jpg 

Samsung has done a super job with adding biometrics into the Galaxy S9 series.  I’m quite impressed, and think you will be too.

1. biometrics. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged. Retrieved April 27, 2018 from Dictionary.com website http://www.dictionary.com/browse/biometrics

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.  #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors