cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry KEYone Security: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Blackberry KEYone has been a popular choice among consumers looking for a keyboard-based device as well as a mid-level phone that does not break the budget. In these two areas, this phone really stands apart from the competition.

The next thing that Blackberry has always led the market historically is security. They basically had this market alone for years and was the device of choice for people looking to ensure their data, files and other important private items were not subject to hacking or viruses.

Gone are the days of a Blackberry OS but that does not mean the Android version has not forgotten this important need. In fact, the KEYone was designed pre-build to be the “most secure Android smartphone”.

How is this possible? Can’t any Android device have apps to improve security?

According to the folks over at Blackberry, the security of this device is superior due to the included DTEK App and the build which includes security features as part of the phone design.

Screenshot_20170918-111254-COLLAGE.jpg

The DTEK app comes pre-loaded on the device and provides a handy security status dashboard that gives you a visual meter to show your security status and then quick links to make any adjustments that may need to improve the status. Especially handy is the Apps and Permissions option. Here you are able to see which apps are using permissions to access areas of your device such as calendar, camera, contacts, location, microphone and phone. Worried that you mic be used by an app eavesdrop? This would be the place to find out. The same goes for the camera. Now, I do not exactly fall into the paranoid people are out to get me camp but if I was a person of importance these features would be good to have.

Another promise from Blackberry is that the device will get all security patches updated to the device as they are released. This is important since with some devices it can be weeks before a scheduled update will occur.

In a crowded area such as the subway or a busy coffee shop and do not want the over curious lurkers to join in your reading? The included privacy shade app limits the viewable area on the screen so that you have just line by line visibility. Not a big deal for me but I can certainly understand why some folks may not want another to be looking over their shoulder to see private conversations or important corporate documents.

Screenshot_20170929-080858-COLLAGE.jpgPrivacy Shade

Finally, there is the “Hardware root of Trust”. This process goes beyond just an after activation app to protect your device. Blackberry has built cryptographic security into the processor that at boot up checks to ensure the device has not been tampered with.  

We are seeing more and more examples of data theft and privacy issues. It is good to know that with the KEYone you will have an extra layer of ongoing protection that is not to be found in any other device. 

Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee