cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blasting Off with the HTC Hub 5G

Sprint Product Ambassador

I'm excited to be able to fire up a HTC Hub 5G MBB/MHS. Over the next few months I'll be using and evaluating the Hub 5G for personal and professional use, in and around the Kansas City and Chicago metro areas. Follow along as I share my experiences, both good and not-as-good.

First up: Kansas City

Our early deployment of 5G is comprehensive in the seven county KC metro area. I was pleased to see all the Sprint 5G availability. As always, you can check Sprint coverage on our main website:

sprint.com/coverage

Sprint5G_KC_coverage.jpgSprint 5G coverage in KC.

Working in Overland Park, world headquarters for Sprint, means I have ready access to our just-launched 5G network. It also means being nearby the greatest concentration and number of 5G smartphones, MBB/MHS, and test devices. So capacity will be tested.

Firing up the HTC Hub 5G is super-easy and should be a familiar process to anyone who's owned an Android device. the Hub 5G is an Android device; it sets up and behaves just like any other new Android device, with the one exception of not needing a voice channel or radio. Out of the box, setup takes minutes and is a very intuitive process.

Screenshot_20190717-134605_kc.pngDashboard shows connected to 5G.

The default home screen is a simple and easy-to-read, with all the pertinent info displayed in large font and graphics; network with "strength" meter; hotspot details (AP name, password); devices connected; data info is displayed in the upper left corner. Our 5G MBB/MHS plan allow you 100 GB of data / month, so you shouldn't ever need to worry about data caps, but you get an easy readout just in case. 

Let's see what Sprint 5G is all about: 

I quickly learned that our just-launched 5G is best when the Hub 5G is outside, or nearby a window; i.e. commercial buildings with all the concrete and steel make in-building penetration a challenge for our 5G spectrum. Not to worry. Now that 5G is launched, we are making great strides every day toward providing low-frequency spectrum that will have better in-building performance. That said, the HTC Hub 5G is awesome at latching on to 4G LTE for maximum throughput.

My first 5G speed test was performed outside on my iPhone, attached via Wi-Fi to the HTC Hub 5G. I'm pretty happy with the data throughput!

IMG_6394_kc.jpgFirst 5G Speedtest result!

This is well and good, but I need to be able to work from indoors. So next I took my "show" inside and did more testing. I was unable to get a 5G signal inside of my office, but still got really good data speeds on 4G/LTE. 

The HTC Hub 5G main home screen is the MHS dashboard. You can swipe the home screen left, like any other Android device, to get to the device home screen(s). Being an Android device, I loaded the Ookla Speedtest app directly to the Hub 5G for further testing.

Screenshot_20190717-135518_kc.pngHub 5G shows connected to LTE.

Screenshot_20190726-093244_kc.pngLTE Speedtest results.

My experience with Sprint 5G and 4G LTE using the HTC Hub 5G MBB/MHS in the KC metro area has been positive. I will continue to use and evaluate the performance of the Hub 5G in different areas and share my experiences and opinions as I go.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee