cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera comparison - Moto Z2Force vs LG G6 Sprint Product Ambassador

Sprint Product Ambassador

With the plethora of Smartphones on the market today, the age old question “which camera is better?” can be a hard question to answer. All of today’s high end phones come with similar spec sheets. Large megapixel counts, multiple lenses, numerous “Instagram” filters, and various shooting modes are all becoming the norm. Case in point, Motorola has packed a hefty camera into the Moto Z2Force and believes it is equal to, if not better than the other high end devices on the market today. Seeing as how I own an LG G6, i thought it would be a good time to put them both through their paces and see how they stack up to one another.

Specs

On paper both devices are very similar. The Z2Force has a dual 12 MP cameras on the rear, a 5 MP camera on the front, dual LED flash, autofocus, and laser detection. On the LG G6, you get dual 13 MP rear cameras, a 5 MP front camera, and optical image stabilization. Both have similar camera apertures with the G6 being f/2.4 and the Z2Force being f/2.0. Specs wise, I felt like it was a draw.

LGvsZ2.pngCourtesy GSM Arena

Color and lighting

While I am certainly no camera expert, I found that both the LG G6 and Moto Z2Force produced deep, excellent and vibrant colors. Colors seemed pop and had lots of detail. In addition, once you take a picture, both phones have options that allow you to edit the color, lighting and the detail of the image even further, while also allowing you to add various filters to change how the image looks. While both phones were more than up to the task here, I found I liked the G6 over the Z2 force in this area.

Z2ForcePIC1.jpgMoto Z2Force

Z2ForcePIC2.jpgMoto Z2Force

Black and White

While working on this blog, I found reviewing each phone’s black and white capabilities took me back to my days in 11th grade photography class and I didn’t want to stop taking pictures. I found the clarity of the images with the LG G6 to be much clearer and contained more detail. Blacks were heavy and dark, while the grays did not appear to be over saturated and washed out. In addition, since the G6 has an 18:9 image ratio, you’ll get an incredibly wide image. As for the Moto Z2Force, I found image quality to be similar but with slightly less detail. Darks and grays were not over saturated and the depth of field was better. This gave the photos that I took with the Z2Force look and feel as if they were being taken with an actual black and white film camera. This alone gave the edge in my opinion to the Motorola.

Z2ForcePIC3.jpgMoto Z2 Force

LGPic1.jpgLG G6

Z2ForcePIC4.jpgMoto Z2Force

LGPic2.jpgLG G6

Features/Modes

As with many smartphones, both the G6 and the Z2Force come with a wide array of features and modes. Each have things like ‘Panorama’, ‘HDR’, ‘Professional’ and various instagram like filters. What really impressed me about each camera though were some of the smaller things. For example, the LG G6 has a wide angle lens which I found super useful for getting great shots, especially when i was in some tight spots that did not have a lot of room. The Z2Force by comparison does not have a wide angle lens and I found myself missing it many times. In addition, the G6 gives you access to several camera overlays, record in slow motion and create time lapse videos. The Z2Force has similar features but the one that stood out the most was the  ‘Depth of Field’ editor which gives you options to edit and replace your background, add selective focus to an image or change part of the image to only black and white. While not as fancy as an in depth photo editor, it was a nice touch. All in all, I felt that the features on each phone were varied enough to consider it a draw.

Final Thoughts

In closing, I found both phones to have their own strengths and weaknesses.Whiile I really liked the 18:9 image format, wide angle lens, color clarity and overall detail  that the LG G6 has, I really liked the depth of field and the black and white feature of the Moto Z2Force and the types of images I got out of them. It’s true that both come with your standard array of filters and editors but I found these features seemed to matter less to me and it came back to how the original images look. That being said, I if I am taking color pictures, i’m going to go with the G6 and if I want a more artistic, black and white style image, it’s going to be the Z2Force all the way. Either way, regardless of the camera you choose, you won’t be disappointed with either one.

Do you have the LG G6 or the Z2Force? What are your thoughts on the camera? I’d love to know what your likes and dislikes are? Leave me a comment.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee